MF 1000

Behringer - all amp/dcx variants

Super Wammer

Just loaned out one if the A500's so a wammer can run his kit whilst his Naim Nait 3 is away for repair .....will be interesting to get his feedback on how it runs his Shahanian Arcs 😀

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MF 1000 said:

Just loaned out one if the A500's so a wammer can run his kit whilst his Naim Nait 3 is away for repair .....will be interesting to get his feedback on how it runs his Shahanian Arcs 😀

That will be very interesting! I had a nait 3 years ago and it was a horrible amp unless it was paired well, then it was really good. And I had those Arcs, and will say the same for those as well. Those Arcs can be something special if some time is taken with them. What is he using as a pre Keith? 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Cambridge streamer 

Cambridge Audio CXNv2 (with preamp)

Shahinian Arcs or Kef Reference ones 

But with the twin vol controls on the A500 you don't really need the pre either 

Edited by MF 1000

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, greybeard said:

The DCX2496 is definitely not unusable, in fact it is brilliant, in all it does. It is just from an audiophools point of view, a touch noisy when no music is playing. I have thought of trying one of the DBX range of speaker management devices, but I wonder if it is a pro audio thing, as this noise would not be of consequence, in an auditorium.

FWIW I've experienced no noise issues with the similarly priced miniDSP 2x4 HD (or much more expensive SHD). Not sure if anyone has had the chance to do a direct comparison to a DCX2496 but from the comments in this thread I can't help but think a 2x4 HD would be a better bet for most.

Edit:assuming 2 inputs and 4 outputs is enough of course!

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Mine are 3 way actives, so not enough outputs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

....and a try 5 way - I need two DCX units for that 😜

The three stereo pair outputs from each DCX work well on the bass side, as I run the original bass drivers (now mid bass) in my KEFS through 1 pair and split the others to drive one sub/bass unit each which gives me loads of flexibility balance/filtering/eq for each of the 18" Volts.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Mine are 3 way actives, so not enough outputs.

...but we have ways :D

Tack a relatively cheap 2X4 (not-HD) onto 2 of the outputs from the 2X4HD and now you have a 3-way. Do the same on the other 2X4HD outputs and you have a 4-way...very tempting in these long weeks of lockdown :whistle:

• Upvote 1

Actually, I realised that if you were doing a 4-way, and wanted to build the amps into the speakers, this "cascaded" approach makes a great solution - you feed all the left channel output of the HD into one 2X4 and all the right channel stuff into the other 2X4. You can then bolt the 2X4's on the back of the speakers along with your 4 channels of amplification. You then only have one pair of (low level) signal leads going from the source, one to each speaker. Much tidier.

• Like 1

...and with 4 outputs from the HD, you could cascade into 4 ordinary 2X4's to create an 8-way stereo xover...

I think I'd better stop before I talk myself into it!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

...and with 4 outputs from the HD, you could cascade into 4 ordinary 2X4's to create an 8-way stereo xover...

I think I'd better stop before I talk myself into it!

Tony you need to get out more, oh wait............................

• Haha 2

A slightly more on-topic version would of course be to strap a 2X4 onto a pair of outputs from your DCX if you wanted to go from 3 to 4-way.