newlash09

Any gains from using sliver wires

I was browsing casually to see what wires folks were using in their speaker builds and went on the HGC site on a hunch. And came across these silver wires. 

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/hgc-pure-silver-wire-2mm.html

I presently have ofc copper cables as the internal wiring in the speakers. Will changing to the above produce any audible benefits in sound quality and mainly in clarity. Thanks 

Super Wammer

There might be some advantage with silver on hook up for your tweeters and maybe mids but a large csa copper is best for  bass in my experience.

2 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

There might be some advantage with silver on hook up for your tweeters and maybe mids but a large csa copper is best for  bass in my experience.

Thanks sir :)

I was thinking of sticking with copper for bass. Was just thinking of silver for mids and treble only. And also each wire is only 2mm thick . So will I need 2 wires per solder to get a 4mm wire connection to each binding post on the drivers.

Super Wammer

Might be an idea to strip each 2mm, twist them together then insulate them in shrink tubing 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Might be an idea to strip each 2mm, twist them together then insulate them in shrink tubing 

Thanks sir...will give that a thought. Will be expensive of course. Iam also considering lessloss C-Mac cables in parallel. But shipping them is a hassle . If UK returns to normalcy by may when Iam back, I will buy the silver cables.

Super Wammer

Electrically silver is a better conductor than copper but the difference is pretty marginal . Over the sort of lengths you are looking at I doubt there would be much to choose between them.

When I had some silver i/c wires they did sound slightly different and seemed to me to be more bright and showed off background noise in a more obvious way . This may well because they are more transparent and are showing up things in my system i would rather not hear . Now if your object in music is that you want to be as accurate and true to the original as possible then that is a good thing but if you want to relax and listen to music then for me at least they had to go .

• Like 2

There is no benefit whatsoever in using silver or other exotic metals for Hifi purposes..

Using different metals has no effect whatsoever on the ‘sound’. For cables, copper is the best material that you can use, and additionally there’s no need for abnormally thick cross-sections, as the currents involved are very low. 

Hth as I’m a Devil of a metallurgist! 👹

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

At frequencies approaching one Gigahertz, there are advantages to solid core, polished silver plated wire (all the signal travels on the plated surface). But what's an advantage at one frequency range or one power range, doesn't translate to other rangers.

The trivial advantage of one conductor over another only applies when both conductors have the exact same cross-section area and the exact same length.

I don't remember audiophile's reporting that their 2.8 meter long speaker cables sound so much better than their 3.0 meter cables.

Edited by Speedskater
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, newlash09 said:

I was thinking of sticking with copper for bass. Was just thinking of silver for mids and treble only. And also each wire is only 2mm thick . So will I need 2 wires per solder to get a 4mm wire connection to each binding post on the drivers.

For what it's worth the total cross-sectional area of two wires that are 2 mm diameter is only half that of a single wire of 4 mm diameter.

(I have one solid silver interconnect and previously owned solid silver speaker cable. Personally I now view such things as a complete waste of money  and would stick to copper as its cheaper.)

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Does it sound different? You'll find people on both sides of the argument and whilst I tend to side with devil and others, there is now some evidence to suggest that things we had always assumed to only have an effect at very high frequencies may actually have an effect much lower. Also, electrical and physical scuience has moved way beyond the conventional models of electron transfer and we certainly have evidence to suggest that the dialectric does play a role again at surprisingly low fequencies.

On the other hand, I used to use Audio Note silver speaker cables. Litz construction and not exactly Lidl prices. I don't any more. I have a selection to play with, none of which cost me more than about £100 for a 5 metre pair. Go figure...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rabski said:

Does it sound different? You'll find people on both sides of the argument and whilst I tend to side with devil and others, there is now some evidence to suggest that things we had always assumed to only have an effect at very high frequencies may actually have an effect much lower. Also, electrical and physical scuience has moved way beyond the conventional models of electron transfer and we certainly have evidence to suggest that the dialectric does play a role again at surprisingly low fequencies.

On the other hand, I used to use Audio Note silver speaker cables. Litz construction and not exactly Lidl prices. I don't any more. I have a selection to play with, none of which cost me more than about £100 for a 5 metre pair. Go figure...

Luke.

Come Over to the Dark Side....

Also available in Black

Edited by George 47
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1