dicy

FS: Sugden A21a Integrated Amplifier (with Phono Stage)

Hi All

I picked this up from the Audio Jumble on Sunday, but it's just not gelling with my Royd Sorcerers. I'm really disappointed as I owned one years ago and it's a fabulous sounding amp with most speakers.

This one is absolutely mint and it has the phono board fitted.

I don't have the box, so collection from East Sussex preferred, but i'm sure I can find something suitable for postage if nec. Also happy to deliver within an easy drive.

£650 firm (plus delivery if needed)

Cheers

Rich

Lladwk.jpg
l68cll.jpg
12hoZS.jpg

• Like 1

I saw this amp on the day and can confirm this is in top condition, looks lovely.  And the phono stage is also excellent.  I remember Kevin at Definitive plugging an SME 10 directly into this amp in 2001 and it blew me away.  Many prefer this to the current series so if you can live without remote its a great amp - one of Sugdens finest.  I always regret selling mine.

• Like 1

Still feel a21a stone cold giant slaying classic, tempted to go back to system that got me hooked 20 years back, Kevin’s magical £3k starter, sugden, auditoriums, spacedeck, with hitachi wires. Musical crack. Not perfect hifi but musically addictive.

• Like 3

Super Wammer

One of the best integrateds. Will be happy driving 4 Ohm loads. Completely different beast than the A21SE though.

• Like 2

Wonder what it would be like with my Quadrals

Super Wammer

Wonderful. Actually sounds best when pushed into 4 ohms. Also easy to re sell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frizbriz said:

Still feel a21a stone cold giant slaying classic, tempted to go back to system that got me hooked 20 years back, Kevin’s magical £3k starter, sugden, auditoriums, spacedeck, with hitachi wires. Musical crack. Not perfect hifi but musically addictive.

Ah. My conversion to Kevinism was a little more recent, about 16 years back.

But I've since owned every Auditorium apart from the Avatar.

And now he and Lynn are godparents to each of my 5 children.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, flaxton said:

I have 21 se. A great amp.

Apparently a different amp in all but name. I don't want to distract from the advert but had to say.

EDIT: sorry, Mike/Yoda beat me to it.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

You haven’t lived if you haven’t had an a21a in your life.. sorry, had to say it. 
sorry for adding and making this in to a thread lol. 
Yes, you just need the right speakers with this amp and it can surpass amps costing considerably more! 

GLWTS

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Agreed! As I think I said elsewhere, when I took my Posselt Albatross speakers to Fanthorpe's and the first Sugden amp I heard driving them was an A21 (Sig), I thought "call off the search!". I also heard the ANV-50 and A21SE and eventually settled on the IA-4 as a better fit for the range of music I enjoy but I've never forgotten that maigcal experience and am sure I'll own an A21 before I cock my clogs.

Edited by TheFlash

Considering I just Sold a Entreq challenger power cord for more that the cost of the Sugden, it must be a bargain. I’d have but more pressing deals to do. Good luck.

As mods, we try to avoid 'bigging up' sales threads. However, on this occasion...

Fabulous amp. One of a select bunch of solid state stuff that just gets it right IMO. Also, Rich has been posting, buying and selling here for many years.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Agreed! As I think I said elsewhere, when I took my Posselt Albatross speakers to Fanthorpe's and the first Sugden amp I heard driving them was an A21 (Sig), I thought "call off the search!". I also heard the ANV-50 and A21SE and eventually settled on the IA-4 as a better fit for the range of music I enjoy but I've never forgotten that maigcal experience and am sure I'll own an A21 before I cock my clogs.

The a21SE and its 'vanilla' contemporary aren't quite the same amp as this. When they were originally launched, a number of Sugden diehards considered that while build quality, styling and power output had gone up, overall something of this a21's 'magic' had been lost. 

In truth, in many respects a lot of people would contend this a21 was superior to the first generation Masterclass integrated. Come to think of it, I'm in that camp, I made that backward journey from Masterclass to a21, in my case the power amp version.

I confess I've not heard the latest generation 'Signature' versions of the a21 and a21SE but I understand they're much improved over the first production, which must now be well over a decade ago.

Similarly, I know Kevin Scott now regards the current Masterclass integrated with a huge degree of affection, something he could never muster for the original model.

But a new Masterclass is over £5k and this is 650 quid. You do the math, as they say.

12 hours ago, notevenclose said:

Ah. My conversion to Kevinism was a little more recent, about 16 years back.

But I've since owned every Auditorium apart from the Avatar.

And now he and Lynn are godparents to each of my 5 children.

Ah. I may have been slightly economical with the truth here. I have owned Auditorium (in an office system), OBX-R2 and OBX-RW, but Kevin and Lynn don't perform any godparenting duties.

I actually offered the gig to Keith in the first instance, but turned out he couldn't tell any of them apart in a unsighted level-matched test (we stood the wee ones on boxes), so K&L stepped in.

No, that's not true either, no kids, unless you count the ones with 4 legs and fur (lot of inbreeding in my family line).

• Haha 1