David Roberts

Cable conundrum

Hi everyone, I have just upgraded my speakers to ATCscm19 from Linn Keleidhs. They have been in for a month with approx 200hrs run in time so far.

Amp Is a fully Avondale modified 72/250 with Avondale TPX1.5 power supply with Naim NDX as a source. Cabling is Nordost Red Dawn I/C and biwire blue heaven speaker cable. Overall very happy with the speakers, the only fly in the ointment is a slight over brightness which needs a touch of calming, although I do like the detail the Nordosts give, l suspect the issues lie in the cabling which worked well with the Keleidhs but are a touch forward with ATCs, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Options I am looking into at the moment are the Witch Hat Phantom speaker cables with or without jumpers and 4 pin din to xlr hat pin and secondhand Naim HiLine to replace the Red Dawn I/C. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by David Roberts

Super Wammer

TQ  Black II/Ultra Black II. I changed to Black II from Kimber 8tc and it really added to bottom end heft and calmed the treble on my 989s. 

If your not to far from Chichester (fill out your profile as it makes it easier for people to offer help if they know whereabouts you are + kit you have) I'd be happy to bring my 2mtr pair over for you to try. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 2

The Red Dawns are a bright  but do some good things- the newer Nordost are supposed to be warmer/ fuller if you like the Nordost sound.:geek:

Super Wammer

IMO the more strands the better the bottom end response - the less strands the less bass response and so the speaker can feel more forward and top endy.

Before spending a fortune on speaker cables might I suggest you try some plain old OFC ones with 250 strands or more per cable,  you could try these for very little expense https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KÖNIG-2-5mm-OFC-Studio-Grade-LoudSpeaker-Cable-Oxygen-Free-Copper-14AWG-KONIG/161954580482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649   or these with even s little more  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharkwire-XS37S-Loudspeaker-Connection-Cable-High-Quality-OFC-S12-per-meter/293065399312?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Good luck in your quest 

Hi a bit of an update, Had a chat with the tech guys at ATC they recommend the Van Damme Blue Studio 2.5 mm cables as that is what they use, this option gives me the funds to also look at the Red Dawn interconnect at some point in the future and maybe swap it for a s/h Naim Hiline. 
He is also suggested decreasing the toe in, and a couple of other options re siting.
I did decrease the toe in from 2.5 inches to 1.5 inches per speaker, surprisingly this worked quite well, removing a fair amount of the problem.

Super Wammer

If your looking at VD cable I would suggest going for r the hifi series as opposed to the blue. I found the blue quite muddled in comparison  to the hifi series, also instead of bi-wire, up it to 4mm and go with single wire + 2.5mm jumpers. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, David Roberts said:

Hi a bit of an update, Had a chat with the tech guys at ATC they recommend the Van Damme Blue Studio 2.5 mm cables as that is what they use, this option gives me the funds to also look at the Red Dawn interconnect at some point in the future and maybe swap it for a s/h Naim Hiline. 
He is also suggested decreasing the toe in, and a couple of other options re siting.
I did decrease the toe in from 2.5 inches to 1.5 inches per speaker, surprisingly this worked quite well, removing a fair amount of the problem.

OFC multi strand .. :D 

On 21/02/2020 at 22:35, uzzy said:

Maybe try No toe in. I never bother with it, like my speakers firing straight down the room, can't be doing with all those angles. Will be different for all speakers though I guess.

I increased the toe in back to 2inch, which is where I set it up originally, this seems optimum for my room. Waiting for the Van Damme 4mm HiFi cables now, hopefully everything should be good, maybe.