Colinjg

Bristol HI Fi Show this Weekend.

Super Wammer
On 19/02/2020 at 10:00, bigrod said:

Me too.

This year will be the first one I will miss in 30 yrs.

Kindest regards Julian 

Now going...

Diane is having a fizz friday with the girls..

So going to drive down from up North early Friday and stop at future inn so can do Saturday as well....

My 30th year

Kindest regards Julian 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Now going...

Diane is having a fizz friday with the girls..

So going to drive down from up North early Friday and stop at future inn so can do Saturday as well....

My 30th year

Kindest regards Julian 

I dont think I'd miss a girly fizz day for the Bristol Show :)

• Haha 2

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

I dont think I'd miss a girly fizz day for the Bristol Show :)

You dont know how wild they can get...they're all as bonkers as Diane.

And I can see them most weekends..but the bristol show is once a year and almost a pilgrimage for me..

Kindest regards Julian 

3 minutes ago, bigrod said:

You dont know how wild they can get...they're all as bonkers as Diane.

And I can see them most weekends..but the bristol show is once a year and almost a pilgrimage for me..

Kindest regards Julian 

Well, if they get you doing the Full-Monty then perhaps your better off at the Bristol Show :D

Seriously though, as commercial as it is I do enjoy the Bristol Show. Even if it is a bit of a trek for me. Sometimes I come away from there saying why do I bother, but as an audiophile it all makes good sense really :)

I'm going on Friday with my non Wammer friend Pev.  I hope to listen to the new Chord kit but not really checked out who's exhibiting.  It's a big show from memory of a couple of years back, so you can never cover everything.

Super Wammer

Won’t be going this year... been stitched up to work all weekend! 
I think from memory it was £2 to get in the first ever show. To empty and store beds from every room must be a hotel nightmare lol. 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, aggers said:

I'm going on Friday with my non Wammer friend Pev.  I hope to listen to the new Chord kit but not really checked out who's exhibiting.  It's a big show from memory of a couple of years back, so you can never cover everything.

Booked a visit to the LP12 demo..

1 hour ago, bigrod said:

Booked a visit to the LP12 demo..

Same here.

23 hours ago, ae111sr said:

Thanks.  I remember my first Bristol Show, almost every room was playing Dire Straits -- Sultans of Swing, but I can't remember which year that was.

EVERY year. :D

• Like 1

Looks like I should be able to go tomorrow now :).

Did anyone go today and come across any potentially hidden gems worth checking out? 

Super Wammer

You can guarantee Nils Lofgren - Keith Don’t Go will be played a few times this weekend.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Looks like I should be able to go tomorrow now :).

Did anyone go today and come across any potentially hidden gems worth checking out? 

Went today. Highlights (in no particular order): hearing the biggest speaker in the new PMC range which was awesome. Absolutely superb. I was fortunate enough to hear the speaker in the range preceding that and then they plugged in the big boy and played the same tune so we could compare. Fantastic.

Von Gaylord was also noteworthy and is worth seeking out. The room with the huge Titan speakers (808s?) as well as the Elipson room were also show stoppers. Moving back into reality, I was pleasantly surprised with the Russel K 120s which were sounding very sweet, so much so that I immediately thought they would fit well in my current room. I was also rather taken aback hearing the Klipsh rm 600. My preconceived idea of these speakers (having never heard Klipsh) is that they aren't 'proper hifi' (whatever proper hifi is). Au contraire! Excellent..

ATC, like last year, were also sounding very good. Listening to those made me pine for my old scm40s.. Finally made it this year to the Naim and Focal room but was massively underwhelmed. The room was far to small for such behemoths that were the size of telephone boxes. Perhaps I was expecting too much as this was the first room I raced to, having missed out last year.

Overall an interesting show. Much of what I enjoyed last year didn't impress me as much this year but of course the music being played does factor into your judgement on the day. Oh, biggest rack award has to go to the Living Voice room. Wowzers!

Edit: enjoyed the Fyne audio flagship bookshelf speakers also!

Edited by Ipsofacto
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ipsofacto said:

Titan speakers

Do you mean the big kudos 707s? I think that's what they were anyway. I was really surprised at this room myself it was really impressive. The new SUPERNAIT 3 plus a 250dr and a few high caps. Lots of cash but what a superb sound I thought. Probably stayed in this room one of longest. Big speakers but when I removed the covers I couldn't believe just 1 smallish bass and a tweeter, but what a weighty sound, but they were isobarcs though apparently. 

• Like 1