LanceG

Moving coil cartridge with Basik Plus arm ?

Anyone fitted a moving coil cartridge to a Linn Basik Plus arm (fixed headshell) with success ?

Edited by LanceG

Different  thread .... but the answers are maybe pretty much the same .:)

The Basik Plus arm has historically  worked just  fine with modest Moving Coils like the Audio Technica   ATF series . It will work with more expensive moving coils too.

But the question is then whether it will enable those moving coils to perform any  better than a well chosen Moving Magnet.

It's been a long while since I've done any direct comparisons in this context ...but whilst the ATF-3 or something from the new expanded OC-9 range  might be a very viable partner, I think you might on balance get a more  "right sounding" result with something like the VM-750SH moving magnet at a similar cost  [...or indeed with a good AT stylus on the K9 !]

[As an illustration from my own experience ....

When I was awaiting delivery of a new Ittok around 1982  I briefly used an Osawa Mirage  OS60L in the Basik Plus. [This was a something of an  Asak clone,  about as good as the slightly later Linn Trak, and available at the time for silly money  due to some importer deal]. 

It worked just fine ...but sounded different rather than better than a K9.  When the Ittok arrived...the OS60L was  then able to demonstrate that it was  better than the K9 ]

Edited by Smokestack
  • Upvote 2

If you are thinking of spending moving coil money on a cart, you might be better getting a better arm imho.

There are folk who run cheap MMs on Klimax level LP12s.

• Upvote 1

I think most folks appreciate that using an expensive high end moving coil in a budget arm isn't the best idea, neither in mechanical compatibility terms, nor in value for money terms.

The grey  area is maybe in that  £300 to £400 price range,  where we typically find higher end moving magnets  and lower range moving coils.

An arm like a Basik Plus [when in good nick] also occupies a sort of grey area . It has good enough bearings to cope reasonably with the higher levels of energy which many moving coils typically push into the arm but doesn't really perform at a high enough level to extract the best from them .

The sensible approach is perhaps to judge the cartridges purely in cost versus performance terms, ignoring whether they happen to have moving coils or magnets.

A Basik Plus will likely deliver decent value for money with a good £300 to £400 cartridge ...but above that level , allowing for taste, you probably won't hear any great further benefit.  

• Upvote 2

I feel for LanceG, who probably thought that he was asking a simple question, and that the nerds among us were busy derailing the simple answer. But, as Smokestack has correctly pointed out, things (sadly) just aren't that simple. It all depends on what you mean by "success".

In his answers, Smokestack has dutifully limited himself to discussion of the arm/cartridge relationship, because that is what the question is about. But if you ask, as I think we need to, why LanceG is asking the question in the first place, all the worms in the can appear in full view. If, in LanceG's intention, the question could be rephrased as, "Is fitting an MC cartridge to the Basik Plus arm on my LP12 the most cost-effective means of improving the sound quality of my LP playback?", the answer could well be "no", and we are back into the familiar discussion of the LP12 hierarchy, and why it is important.

I understand that from LanceG's perspective it is not helpful to go down that road just yet. Even so, I'd like to know what lies behind his not-so-simple question. If, for instance, he does not wish to consider any upgrade which involves a perhaps lengthy and costly trip to a remote dealer, I can well understand the concern. Unfortunately, experience tells me that such visits are a necessary part of any sensible upgrade process. If the issue is, again very understandably, a strictly limited budget, it might be helpful to rephrase the question in those terms. What most of us on this forum want , for our fellow members as well as for ourselves, is the best value in terms of musical enjoyment from our Hi-fi systems (Linn or non-Linn). On occasions such as this, it may therefore be useful to place the questions that are asked in a broader context.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Used to own a Basik Plus arm... Best advice I can give is to bin it! When i replaced the arm with an original Ekos, the upswing in SQ was quite eye opening. No reason to spend good money on a MC when that arm will never let it do its thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/03/2020 at 16:21, Daveyf said:

Used to own a Basik Plus arm... Best advice I can give is to bin it! When i replaced the arm with an original Ekos, the upswing in SQ was quite eye opening. No reason to spend good money on a MC when that arm will never let it do its thing.

I second this! I’ve owned both the Basik Plus, and the Ekos/1.

The Basik Plus is a great starter arm, but it’s no Ekos.