lee1975

Gain/volume

I picked up an electrocompaniet emi 5 today as i wanted to have a play with a couple of amps. After i connected ot all up and sat back with a cuppa the first thing i noticed was a lack of gain/volume. I had it set to around 10/11. In comparison to most other amps i have had it was down on volume a good 30% 

My speakers are not a demanding load(Snell Ci) so i know its not them and 120wpc should get them shifting some air. After all my 80wpc John set at the same volume has them pumping. 

Anybody know why this is and does anybody who uses this amp or maybe another electrocompaniet amplifier have the same thing. I have to admit i don't like it at all. 

Any input is good thanks. 

So long as you can control the volume OK and it goes as loud as you'd ever need then there is absolutely no problem.

(The fact you've had to turn the volume knob round further doesn't tell you it's any closer to it's limits than your previous amps.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Do you mean ECI 5? If so this does not seem to have a rotary volume control, that you can set at 10/11 o clock, or did you mean something different?49506164451_360fa27ae8_c.thumb.jpg.f3d50334decac5bc1d8ae0902737da2b.jpg

Greybeard. It has a back light that goes around as you turn it up or down indicating the volume position. So it act's like the marker on a pot i guess and stops at the same location as a pot would. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MartinC said:

So long as you can control the volume OK and it goes as loud as you'd ever need then there is absolutely no problem.

(The fact you've had to turn the volume knob round further doesn't tell you it's any closer to it's limits than your previous amps.)

I’m not convinced by this having had gain issues recently.  I found that no matter how much I turned up the wick it never compensated for the flatness that incorrect gain can give. 
What is interesting here is that it is a digital front end, not vinyl as I have , so should be giving a good level of input to the amp. Nevertheless, it would be worth checking the specs on the input sensitivity of the amp and the output of the digital source to check if any potential compatibility issues.

Is there anyway to increase the output from the digital source?

I've got one amp that I have to turn the volume to 50% to get the same volume I get at 20% on the others. I love it, it gives me fine control over lower volumes and I wish all my amps were less sensitive like this. My current main amp is too sensitive for late night listening sessions.

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, lee1975 said:

Greybeard. It has a back light that goes around as you turn it up or down indicating the volume position. So it act's like the marker on a pot i guess and stops at the same location as a pot would. 

Thank you for explaining, not obvious from the photo. I did notice on the specs that gain was 0db.

On 16/02/2020 at 12:35, Lawrence001 said:

I've got one amp that I have to turn the volume to 50% to get the same volume I get at 20% on the others. I love it, it gives me fine control over lower volumes and I wish all my amps were less sensitive like this. My current main amp is too sensitive for late night listening sessions.

I have an AVI LSI Integrated that works pretty much the same. It definitely does not lack power, as it can deliver 175 W per channel, if memory serves. I admit it can seem lifeless, if you're not used to the way it works. Also, it never turns shouty, even when you do twist the pot way up (or around), which is another thing that people are not used to.

My current amp/pre amp combo has a similar behavior, but it doesn't have a rotary pot, it scales up in 0.5 dB increments, which is very precise and doesn't leave you guessing. However, there is the same feeling of lack of volume, because the sound is very clean and it takes a bit until you realize the sound pressure is really high.

Coming back to Electrocompaniet, I heard this precise same model, but that was a few years ago. However, I recall that at the time I thought it was a very clean, musical amp. I never paid much attention to the volume setting, though. My guess is you should give it a bit of time, get used to it and the way it works.

On 15/02/2020 at 23:54, lee1975 said:

I picked up an electrocompaniet emi 5 today as i wanted to have a play with a couple of amps. After i connected ot all up and sat back with a cuppa the first thing i noticed was a lack of gain/volume. I had it set to around 10/11. In comparison to most other amps i have had it was down on volume a good 30% 

My speakers are not a demanding load(Snell Ci) so i know its not them and 120wpc should get them shifting some air. After all my 80wpc John set at the same volume has them pumping. 

Anybody know why this is and does anybody who uses this amp or maybe another electrocompaniet amplifier have the same thing. I have to admit i don't like it at all. 

Any input is good thanks. 

When you say 'set at the same volume' Lee, if think you mean the same volume dial indication.

What is the sound like with the Electro indication between, say, the 12 and 2 o'clock positions?

I reckon, as others have said, it could be a case of being different to what you've been used to, both in terms of volume control indication (as opposed to actual gain)

and the Electro's sound character.

(Call me old-fashioned but push buttons would be no good for me - I couldn't manage without an actual rotary control to make the adjustments).

On 16/02/2020 at 10:35, Lawrence001 said:

What about attenuators on the inputs of the other amps Lawrence?

You must have seen others mentioning these:

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Surely, just what you need.

Edited by Gray
  • Like 1

I may be wrong but the input sensitivity of this amp appears to be 1-1.3vrms so this may account for the larger sweep on the volume control than many other amps. Check the input sensitivity of your other amp(s) for comparison.

• Like 1

I have  pre-amp with 6dB gain, and another with 19dB gain.  The pot is in a completely different position for the same volume on each.  I recently borowed an Albarry integrated which had an input sensitivity of 300mV for full output, and I couldn't turn the pot past 9 o'clock!  My 6dB pre will go nearly all the way round for very loud. 

None of these are faulty, just different.

• Upvote 2

What about attenuators on the inputs of the other amps Lawrence?
You must have seen others mentioning these:
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html
Surely, just what you need.
Yeah tried them but lost quite a bit of transparency. The costs far outweighed the benefits.

Rothwells on all the inputs to my amp and I must say that they appear to be totally transparent to my ears. All ears are different I guess.

Well i am returning the amp. Not sure if it's faulty but regardless i don't like the character of it. My John Wood is far superior in every way.