Pedro2

SQ from YouTube

Apologies if this topic has been covered before. This morning, I was listening to Toto’s Africa via Spotify. As always, Spotify Connect on the Linn sounded great. However, I wanted to show our 10 year old son what the band looked like and so fired up YouTube on the TV, streamed from an Apple TV.

I was taken slightly aback by the sound quality. It was as good, if not better than Spotify. I then went to the Linn Akurate streamer to see the bit rate it was playing at. Again, I was surprised to see the reading of PCM 48/24 showing. 

Question is; is YouTube streaming audio into the Apple TV at high quality or is the Linn doing a tremendous job of upscaling? Anyone using YouTube for music on a regular basis or is this source going unused by listeners who enjoy some quality sounds ? (that’s me and you, me thinks).

(Forgot to add that we do use YouTube fairly often; from tips on plumbing for numpties like me to old rock videos, as well as violin demos for aforementioned 10 year old. It’s always been played on an iPhone however with quality of sound of little importance).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedro2 said:

Apologies if this topic has been covered before. This morning, I was listening to Toto’s Africa via Spotify. As always, Spotify Connect on the Linn sounded great. However, I wanted to show our 10 year old son what the band looked like and so fired up YouTube on the TV, streamed from an Apple TV.

I was taken slightly aback by the sound quality. It was as good, if not better than Spotify. I then went to the Linn Akurate streamer to see the bit rate it was playing at. Again, I was surprised to see the reading of PCM 48/24 showing. 

Question is; is YouTube streaming audio into the Apple TV at high quality or is the Linn doing a tremendous job of upscaling? Anyone using YouTube for music on a regular basis or is this source going unused by listeners who enjoy some quality sounds ? (that’s me and you, me thinks).

(Forgot to add that we do use YouTube fairly often; from tips on plumbing for numpties like me to old rock videos, as well as violin demos for aforementioned 10 year old. It’s always been played on an iPhone however with quality of sound of little importance).

I been banging on about how good mp3 can sound..Optical from TV to dac is excellent quality..qobuz also very good on mp3 the quality of interconnects between dac and amp can have a significant effect..i have my best pair between dac and amp..

Interesting findings. Maybe things have moved on in the last year following the White Sea Studio technical comparison where YouTube quality was shown to be appalling. The comparison was done by a recording studio owner doing a technical analysis and talking about it in a down to earth way  

i don’t know how to copy YouTube links here. On YouTube search “White Sea Studio which streaming service sounds the best” 

anyway if things have improved then this is great news as I listen (on my mobile) to loads of YouTube music that is not available on other digital platforms. Once the Auralic arrives next week will check it out in the system. 

To post a YouTube link just click on the Share arrow in YouTube, select copy address, and then paste it into a post. But here you go:

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

To post a YouTube link just click on the Share arrow in YouTube, select copy address, and then paste it into a post. But here you go:

Thanks Martin! 

Seems like it must be the Linn’s upscaling that’s creating the difference in sound quality. According to my Googled sources, YouTube audio appears to run at 128kb mp4 which, by any definition is more ‘low’ than hi fi.

Just had another listen and the sound appears more ‘in your face’ than with Spotify Connect. This may be giving an initial impression of ‘better’ but could prove tiring over more extended listening periods; something that Spotify through the Linn is never guilty of.

Nevertheless, it’s still a surprise find for me and something that I’ll be tempted to turn to more often in future.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Pedro2 said:

Seems like it must be the Linn’s upscaling that’s creating the difference in sound quality. According to my Googled sources, YouTube audio appears to run at 128kb mp4 which, by any definition is more ‘low’ than hi fi.

Never tried listening to YouTube but MP3 always sounds good through my Linn streamer, which I have always put down to its upsampling capabilities 

The sound quality can be pretty reasonable. I listen and download a lot on my mobile and Sony earphones.

A few examples:

EXCELLENT! mono!

Edited by Mr Kipling