PARAGON

TIDAL / Spotify streaming device?

The best way to take audio out of the pi is using a hat that gives digital out, and routing that into a dac. They are not expensive, check out Hifiberry.

Roon will run on a raspberry pi and supports Tidal. May be worth trialing that? There is an active forum who can tell you how to maximise quality with what you have got.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamster said:

The best way to take audio out of the pi is using a hat that gives digital out, and routing that into a dac. They are not expensive, check out Hifiberry.

Roon will run on a raspberry pi and supports Tidal. May be worth trialing that? There is an active forum who can tell you how to maximise quality with what you have got.

Roon is very expensive though.

(If the rest of that was for my benefit I have a miniDSP SHD as a streamer in my main system, which supports Tidal via Volumio.)

Tidal works well for me though when at home I use it via Room.

Have a look at bluesound they offer some nice solutions with a phone app. Worth checking out some of the latest marantz/Yamaha dvd players or integrated amps as they may have tidal capabilities.

If your TV/phone have cast capabilities then tidal app will cast to your TV screen no problem I often cast tidal and roon apps from my phone on to the TV so I can read the display easier. It's as simple as pressing cast on the phone and my TV automatically connects and shows what's on the phone screen sound is also cast. Not sure if you could take a line out from the TV to a dac or amp it's probably doable.

• Like 1

Tidal works well for me though when at home I use it via Room.
Have a look at bluesound they offer some nice solutions with a phone app. Worth checking out some of the latest marantz/Yamaha dvd players or integrated amps as they may have tidal capabilities.
If your TV/phone have cast capabilities then tidal app will cast to your TV screen no problem I often cast tidal and roon apps from my phone on to the TV so I can read the display easier. It's as simple as pressing cast on the phone and my TV automatically connects and shows what's on the phone screen sound is also cast. Not sure if you could take a line out from the TV to a dac or amp it's probably doable.
That is great advice, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Roon is very expensive though.

(If the rest of that was for my benefit I have a miniDSP SHD as a streamer in my main system, which supports Tidal via Volumio.)

True - but other advice in this thread (for the OP) included buying a new streamer - so Roon might be a viable alternative.

It looks like a cheaper "plug and play" solution for raspberry pi is Volumio - with a MyVolumio subscription - EUR 29 / year.  

https://volumio.org/my-volumio-overview/

1 minute ago, jamster said:

It looks like a cheaper "plug and play" solution for raspberry pi is Volumio - with a MyVolumio subscription - EUR 29 / year.  

https://volumio.org/my-volumio-overview/

This is true but I believe it's possible to stream Tidal for free on a Pi in other ways, as @bencat and @Man in a van have mentioned. Well free in terms of the functionality - you obviously need to pay a Tidal subscription!

You can stream tidal with the chrome cast audio. Thought I would try it and it works fine casting from the tidal phone control app using it right now have the CCA connected to my chord mojo.  Last time I looked the CCA was £22 new on ebay.

Edit not sure if the CCA will do the masters MQA as have only managed up to 48khz so ok with cd 44khz 

Edited by JamieMcC

This is true but I believe it's possible to stream Tidal for free on a Pi in other ways, as @bencat and @Man in a van have mentioned. Well free in terms of the functionality - you obviously need to pay a Tidal subscription!
Agree... there are lots of ways to do it. Just giving options.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1