PhotoMax

Spendor D7 and D9 speakers...

I spent about 90 mins listening to both of these wonderful “British Sound” speakers today. I played Natalie Merchant, Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, Santana and Led Zeppelin via a top Naim front end stack.

I have been auditioning several speakers lately but these Spendors just sound great to my ears. Both are great, but for a larger more open room the D9s are simply captivating...

43A6A390-8F56-467A-976F-A2882C5C3E66.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I use D9s and completely agree with your assessment. Without doubt the best loudspeakers I have owned and I can’t think I’ll ever want to change them. There are lots of really good loudspeakers around, but it took quite a while to find the ideal pair to suit my home. The service I received from Spendor was excellent too: an extended home trial and a finish that blends in well with my other furniture, which makes them domestically preferable to the speakers they replaced. 

• Like 1

Nice to hear this!

I have decided to purchase these speakers! I will collect them in the morning. Major purchase but I think I will be very pleased with them. I have a week or so to decide (full no question refund)...

🙈

Max! You’re on a roll! I thought this weeks lotto winner was in NJ (not me I buy my tickets in NYC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! I have been having a couple of sleepless nights and daytime shakes over this decision. 

But I love these speakers, dammit...

So they’re going home and 140’s to the island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, 140s stay as part of:the Exakt system on my main system.

The second system: will be: Linn Magic DSM>>Pass Labs XP-20 preamp (w/ separate power supply)>>Bryston 4BSST-2 power amp>>Spendor D9s. Also in the system: Rega Planar 6, Neo PS, Ania cartridge and Rega Aria phono stage. 

Edited by PhotoMax
  • Like 2

That's a pretty good second system :rockin:

I am picking up the Spendors this morning and taking the ferry to transport them to their new home. Will install them tomorrow and do some A:B tests against the Rega RS7s. The arrangement I have with the dealer is that if the Spendors fail to impress over the RS7s I can return them. At this stage I think this would be very doubtful, but you never know?

I have auditioned quite a few speakers in the $5k -$15k range but I kept coming back to these Spendors. The unknown factor is how are they going to sound in this challenging space with my source components? I anticipate they will perform very well with the smooth sound that the Pass Labs delivers. I purchased the Pass used (in great condition) and love the sound.

I will report back...

Edited by PhotoMax

Update from Orcas Island...

I spent all day lowering my custom audio cabinets which will give me some much needed extra room below the above corner mounted TV and my Rega turntable. 

I then removed my Rega RS7s which was a very sad moment. I have loved these speakers for years!

I then installed my new Spendor D9s. I took my time balancing the spikes on Linn Skates. The speakers are now 12” from the rear wall with a wood burning stove in the center. 6’6”” apart.

I then played Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily album via a hi res stream with Qobuz. 

How is the sound quality? I am just gobsmacked. Stunned does not begin to describe my reaction. Just marvelous. 

My quest is done. The upgrade with these Spendors and Pass Lab preamp is just amazing.

My streaming source and DAC upgrade here is my Linn Majik DSM. But I feel my biggest improvement in this system is the Pass Labs preamp and these Spendors. This is my “second system”, but honestly I think I like what I am hearing here better than my Linn Akurate/Exakt/Katalyst upgrade I just went through with my “main system”? Maybe the D9s are just way better than the Linn 140s?

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

Update from Orcas Island...

I spent all day lowering my custom audio cabinets which will give me some much needed extra room below the above corner mounted TV and my Rega turntable. 

I then removed my Rega RS7s which was a very sad moment. I have loved these speakers for years!

I then installed my new Spendor D9s. I took my time balancing the spikes on Linn Skates. The speakers are now 12” from the rear wall with a wood burning stove in the center. 6’6”” apart.

I then played Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily album via a hi res stream with Qobuz. 

How is the sound quality? I am just gobsmacked. Stunned does not begin to describe my reaction. Just marvelous. 

My quest is done. The upgrade with these Spendors and Pass Lab preamp is just amazing.

My streaming source and DAC upgrade here is my Linn Majik DSM. But I feel my biggest improvement in this system is the Pass Labs preamp and these Spendors. This is my “second system”, but honestly I think I like what I am hearing here better than my Linn Akurate/Exakt/Katalyst upgrade I just went through with my “main system”? Maybe the D9s are just way better than the Linn 140s?

Great result!

I will take some pics in the next day or two. I even brought a “real” camera for this mission.

I removed 4” from the legs of my main corner rack cabinet. This gives me better turntable access between the top of the cabinet and the bottom of the tv that sits above it. The cabinet is heavy and very sturdy. The triangular shape adds strength, etc, but is not efficient for housing rectangular equipment boxes. I failed to account for going in a different direction with increased separates. I had to build another cabinet to house the amp and power supply for the Pass preamp. Cords and cables became an issue. 

As this is a cabin built on a rocky slope the wood floors are not perfectly level. I tried my best to adjust the cabinet’s spiked feet to get it perfectly level but it is not perfect. So, I need create another adjustable platform for the turntable. Doing so might increase sonic and vibration isolation as well. 

Here is a quick phone pic of the top of the corner cabinet. Made from about ten different hardwoods, all carefully ripped for size and complicated joinery...

0B923B6C-785E-4F0B-9B71-999DEF6312AE.jpeg

One emerging downside with this system. Nothing to do with my hardware, just the realities of bandwidth in a remote location on a small island:

I have grown to like streaming with Qobuz. I find that there is quite a bit of content that streams at better than CD quality. The bit rates vary due to different content sources. 

I am on the far “quiet side” of Orcas Island. Getting high speed internet out here has been a challenge. Until recently folks who live out here had to deal with very slow connection speeds via DSL. One of the locals who is a tech wizard then built his own internet company, capped at about 40 homes. It is all radio based. The main signal comes across the water from the mainland and gets bounced to local water tower. The signal then gets bounced from equipment placed high up in trees and then gets bounced from house to house. He used drones with cameras to figure out where all the best lines of site were. 

Very interesting idea and system implication. People who live outside this small coverage area would like to join but the system was built with this number of homes in mind. We now have back up systems to cope with the strong winter storms. 

The service is very good. I stream Netflix, Amazon, Google, TuneIn and Tidal. But playing Qobuz (better than CD files) can cause some dropouts which is annoying. But seeing as I am connected with a little radio receiver on my deck that gets the signal through the air without any cables or fiber optics is just impressive. The monthly rates are great as well.

This is the company site for this system:

https://dbiua.org/