Boysey

Wanted: 5v Linear Power Supply

I looking for a decent 5v linear Power Supply for my Katana DAC. Depending on Amperage (as the Katana requires at least 2 x 2.5A

I’m currently using IFI Linear power Supplies (x2), but wondering if there is something / anything better?

Anyway, has anybody got or can recommend a decent power supply? (Must be 5A+)

There appears to be loads of options on EBay (mainly Chinese) but I’ve not got a clue if there any good.

Obviously, if I had loads of money (which I don’t), I would go down the LDA route, but perhaps that’s another lifetime.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for TeraDac LPSU’s, I have one powering my ProJect Network Streamer and it’s a quality product. Available from “the bay”.

I use Swagman lab lpsu for my Auralic mini with good result.

As an alternative, I use a 5V Powerbank - took me a while to find one that outputs 2.5A but very pleased with it indeed.

edit - sorry ignore, just read you need 5A ...

Edited by julesd68

Teradak, as mentioned above - unbeatable VFM 

Super Wammer

A £50 linear lab type power supply from Amazon works well on my two SMTL amps

Edited by MF 1000

Another vote for TeraDac LPSU’s, I have one powering my ProJect Network Streamer and it’s a quality product. Available from “the bay”.

As you have one of these power supplies, I need two.

How do you recon they stack up against the IFI Linear Power Supplies, I daft question I know, but I’m really looking for an improvement.

More expensive I know! But more Money doesn’t always mean better.

You advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Boysey said:

How do you recon they stack up against the IFI Linear Power Supplies, I daft question I know, but I’m really looking for an improvement.

Not sure I can be of much help I’m afraid as I have never used an IFI. I bought my Streamer a couple of years ago from a fellow Wammer and it came with the TeraDac LPSU. It has been faultless with no signs hum, clicks or anything else to interfere with the sound. The build quality seems very good.

Hope this helps, good luck with your search.

59 minutes ago, Boysey said:

Do you mean Ifi SMPS? I would say that there is no comparison - the Teradak is a very well designed and executed LPS that only falls short onlyonce you compare it to something like an Sbooster (I have both) - Looking back at your original post, though - what about the Shanti? Seems like a no brainer for your purposes, I have a friend who uses one and has nothing but praise for it. MH

Super Wammer

Serious shout-out for Sean at Custom Hifi Cables who makes excellent LPSU's (I have DC2) and I believe Fidelity Audio are also highly regarded.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

A £50 linear lab type power supply from Amazon works well on my two SMTL amps

Link?

Super Wammer

DC Power Supply Variable, Switching DC Regulated Power Supply with 4 Digital LCD Display (0-32V/0-5.2A), Reverse Polarity/High Temperature Protection, 115V/115CM Alligator Leads Included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MZRHYCF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_bI5qEbMA2TYKA

appologies the psu was £70 

• Like 1

I can make one for you. It wont look as pretty as professionally made ones, but it will do the job... If you are tempted let me know and Ill sort one out anf get a price.

I can make one for you. It wont look as pretty as professionally made ones, but it will do the job... If you are tempted let me know and Ill sort one out anf get a price.

Many thanks for your kind offer.

I friend has just taken delivery of the Allo Shanti (Dual output) LPSU and he has kindly offered it to me to try for a few days. Whether this actually betters the twin IFI supplies is yet to be determined.

The Katana DAC is really just a second unit and I know I can spend many hundreds of pounds on a decent power supply but I wanted to see just how good this little DAC could be.

Anyway, thanks again for your offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1