30hurts

The first reflection

2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

...although I did manage to absorb too much H/F making the room sound over damped , 

I achieved the same when experimenting with using absorbers at first reflection points, which is why I'm not going that route long term.

Often in threads there appears to be the notion that just adding sensible acoustic products anywhere in any room can only bring benefits. The reality is much more complicated.

Super Dealer

Completely agree, it does benefit companies selling absorbers!

Keith

4 hours ago, DomT said:

Hi I don’t know so can’t recommend anything specifically. Search for him on YouTube or also have a look at his sound treatment company website http://realtraps.com

there are undoubtedly others who also write on this topic but can’t thinking anyone else right now

Thanks Dom. :^

On 11 February 2020 at 10:38, PuritéAudio said:

Placing a pair of grills behind the speakers will make no/minuscule difference, certainly won’t affect the bass response one jot, remember most of the speakers propagation ones from the front, bass is omnidirectional at around 80Hz.

Keith

Absolutely agree Keith,

Edited by paulf-2007

On 11 February 2020 at 10:03, 30hurts said:

Fairly new living room and new speakers against the long wall. Been having trouble with mid bass and low end clarity. I've been considering diffusion/absorption behind the speakers. 

I usually remove my grills for listening and this time I placed them behind the speakers leaning against the wall angled. 

All my issues were instantly fixed! Soundstage got bigger too. This simple experiment concludes that I need diffusion/absorption on the wall. Could someone please direct me in which to go for? And maybe some manufacturers who are on the budget side of things?

Well if you remove the grilles for listening and they solved the problem, why break the magic spell, leave them there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paulf-2007 said:

Well if you remove the grilles for listening and they solved the problem, why break the magic spell, leave them there. 

Yeah.....good call. If it's working for you then that's all you need! It's YOU and YOUR room not them and theirs. Enjoy it! B|

On 14/02/2020 at 20:20, Sparkydude said:

Yeah.....good call. If it's working for you then that's all you need! It's YOU and YOUR room not them and theirs. Enjoy it! B|

Absolutely - Until some proper room treatment comes and I eventually get around to it, I'll stick with the Heath Robinson version!