robbie010

Carpet on Suspended floorboards - Isolation, Coupling or Decoupling?

I'd get them finished, installed, and run in and see how they drive the room/floor.

If the bass is too much then try some cheap decoupling like industrial machine isolator feet.

There are loads available with differing degrees of isolation.

Many types available with varying screw threads to suit your speaker bases.

I am an absolute convert to the spring based isolation platforms, they performed wonders on my speakers which are a similar size and weight to yours. Somewhat counter intuitively the speaker is very wobbly when you push it, but there is no chance of them falling over. 
Mr me linked to the build thread for mine and other options people tried. I reckon they cost me £70 in materials to make. PM me if you want any advice.

edit - I don’t use the concrete slab anymore

DB292B3C-39C9-41AB-887D-EA712D4D4358.thumb.jpeg.4fb1ef16d241401efa629a0a85517a5d.jpeg

Edited by lostwin
Edit

Rubber feet on a stainless screw directly as described before on top of carpet and underlay would have a similar effect to springs but not as wobbly.

1 minute ago, toms wait said:

Rubber feet on a stainless screw directly as described before on top of carpet and underlay would have a similar effect to springs but not as wobbly.

If rubber feet are so rigid that they don't wobble then they probably offer poor isolation. Correctly loaded Sorbothane 'feet' are wobbly, just like Townshend platforms and the spring based option mentioned above.

Let me add that if you have something rigid joining (coupling) two things together then moving one will move the other. To offer some degree of isolation you need some compliance (wobblyness) of the material/structure linking the two.

1 hour ago, toms wait said:

I'd get them finished, installed, and run in and see how they drive the room/floor.

If the bass is too much then try some cheap decoupling like industrial machine isolator feet.

There are loads available with differing degrees of isolation.

Many types available with varying screw threads to suit your speaker bases.

It is a good idea to try without isolation first, then you understand better what each option brings to the party.

Industrial machine feet where one of the options I was thinking of but I couldn’t find anything suitable, do you have a link to a site that you have seen?

I started another thread on here the other day. I've sorted my issues with carpet on floorboards with granite plinths. They work a treat and sorted out not just the loose bass as planned (the speakers have ports on the base) but also smoothed out a bright treble.

10 hours ago, lostwin said:

It is a good idea to try without isolation first, then you understand better what each option brings to the party.

Industrial machine feet where one of the options I was thinking of but I couldn’t find anything suitable, do you have a link to a site that you have seen?

To be honest I didn't agonise too much about it, just bought on looks and correct screw thread, Martin is right most rubbers are rigid.

As for particular websites I cannot recall exactly which I found but there are loads of industrial applications that might work, some more wobbly than others.  

Ones for medical use are more damping for centrifuges, microscopes, and lab stuff where vibrations mess up results.

Try "medical equipment isolation feet" in google images this found lots of different applications and designs.

I've tried "floating" heavy slabs on a carpet... but I always seem to  gravitate back to the old spikes onto the floor solution.

There are so many  variables ...but holding the speaker  still under drive will always remain a primary objective  .

Only your ears can confirm the best answer  in  any  given room.

47 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

There are so many  variables ...but holding the speaker  still under drive will always remain a primary objective

Yes, holding the speaker rigid was my perceived wisdom until I tried the spring based approach, which is why I suggested that for sound quality it was counter intuitive that they wobbled so much.

Whilst I understand springs or any other isolation will reduce transmission of vibrations to the floor, what I was not prepared for - and to be honest still don't understand - was the across the range improvements I heard, most noticeably in imaging  (both depth of and - ironically - stability).  

Edited by lostwin
edit

Horses for courses is  the only conclusion I've ever been able to arrive at :D

So long as we're aware of all the sensible things to try...we have the tools for the job.