Sign in to follow this  
Sheva

'Dullaudio: Safe as F**k' ...... true or false?

JANDL100 wrote:

Sheva wrote:

Well, lots of folks would disagree with me ... but I've heard them quite a few times but only at Shows, and I would say 'true'.

I've not heard a pair of Dynys that did it for me, including those bigConfidence jobbies that sell for multiples of £10k driven by humungous Plinius amps.

Some love 'em, like meninblack, I find 'em dulldulldull, not as in treble rolloff, but as in uninteresting & boring.

YMMV :peace:

(Oops - my next post is number 5,000 - I must make sure it's a positive one ;))

I owned a pretty decent pair for a while, and it coincided 100% with a serious drop-off in my music listening. So +1 for 'true', I'm afraid.

For me they only came alive when really pushed hard - either with the valve amp or the Naim I was borrowing. But then, anything sounds good when it's so loud and you've had loads of booze, so what's the point?

There are a lot more speaker brands I'd be keen to try out, tbh - Dyns are not one I'd look to revisit.

And, of course, YMMV!

SSM wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:

Please... don't give us a Bruckner thread.suicide2.gif

SS:D

ps: Bruckner was truly dreadful with my Foci.:sick::zzzz::zzzz::zzzz:

T'is done now .... in the Classical Music section ..... ;):P

.... I never did like Foci - I think they are "truly dreadful" with all sorts of music. (Nice negative post here for numero 5001 :D)

Went back to standmounts myself recently.Heard a pair of Dynaudio's in Glasgow Audio [the £850 one's?] that bass?..not for me 'fraid,the guy set them up well,virtually the same gear as I have,he was really into the Dyns,even tried dropping the price to £725.......I made the right choice,crossing the road ,not so nice shop/people,but thewee Spens in Maple :^:Pin fact I only went into GA cos 7 O's,was still not open 20 mins after the 10 am start time.

AmDismal wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
Sheva wrote:

Well, lots of folks would disagree with me ... but I've heard them quite a few times but only at Shows, and I would say 'true'.

I've not heard a pair of Dynys that did it for me, including those bigConfidence jobbies that sell for multiples of £10k driven by humungous Plinius amps.

Some love 'em, like meninblack, I find 'em dulldulldull, not as in treble rolloff, but as in uninteresting & boring.

I owned a pretty decent pair for a while, and it coincided 100% with a serious drop-off in my music listening. So +1 for 'true', I'm afraid.

For me they only came alive when really pushed hard - either with the valve amp or the Naim I was borrowing. But then, anything sounds good when it's so loud and you've had loads of booze, so what's the point?

There are a lot more speaker brands I'd be keen to try out, tbh - Dyns are not one I'd look to revisit.

And, of course, YMMV!

Concurs with my experiences.

That makes three Classical bLoggers who aren't inspired by the Dyn sound.

SS

SSM wrote:

AmDismal wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:
Sheva wrote:

And, of course, YMMV!

SS

MIB & Erik are 2 of the most prolific posters in the General Music section, may be points to where the strengths of the Dyns lie.

Cheers BB

The Contour S1.4 I had (on dedicated stands) gave me horrendous bass boom problems.

They excited all the room nodes in my flat and all the angry nodes in the woman who lives upstairs.

JANDL100 wrote:

Sheva wrote:

They are very picky about amplifiers - and counting watts is far from the whole story. With the wrong amp, they will sound very dull.

I hearda Plinius/Confidence pairing at a show somewhere and it sounded dreadful. Moon amplification suits them, so does naim :shock:and Karan. I would expect Arcam orMF to be poor, and anything class D to be even moreappalling than usual.

33 Sugden watts do a better job with the Contours than 150 Cyrus watts ever did, TBH.

Brown Bottle wrote:

SSM wrote:
AmDismal wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:
Sheva wrote:

And, of course, YMMV!

SS

MIB & Erik are 2 of the most prolific posters in the General Music section, may be points to where the strengths of the Dyns lie.

Cheers BB

Righty. I spent more time listening to pop and rock music when I had the Dyns. Wouldn't recommend them for classical, I'm afraid.:nup: All the major classical music studios use B&W speakers for recording, anyway. So that's where I'm headed!??:shock:

SS

SSM wrote:

All the major classical music studios use B&W speakers for recording, anyway. So that's where I'm headed!??:shock:

SS

John Bowers Active Ones - simply superb for classical (see my avatar). :)

Yep they're fussy about placement, and they do need effective control but dull, safe - never.

Strat

JANDL100 wrote:

SSM wrote:
All the major classical music studios use B&W speakers for recording, anyway. So that's where I'm headed!??:shock:

SS

I don't want to see.:nerves:Doubt they'll cost within £1000 (that's my fixed limit per sidegrade:D)

SS

SSM wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
SSM wrote:

SS

I don't want to see.:nerves:Doubt they'll cost within £1000 (that's my fixed limit per sidegrade:D)

SS

Don't worry SS-man, they haven't made them for decades.

You do realise your self-imposed spending limit and refusal to buy "pre-loved" kit dooms you to paddle eternally in the hi-fi shallows? :D

SSM wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
SSM wrote:

SS

SS

They cost me less than £400 (RRP was £1300 in 1983)- they aren't trendy or popular, but they are the best speakers I have ever heard.

JANDL100 wrote:

SSM wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:
SSM wrote:

SS

SS

They cost me less than £400 (RRP was £1300 in 1983)- they aren't trendy or popular, but they are the best speakers I have ever heard.

Wow. Can I buy yours? (You don't even have to throw in an opera DVD that you hate.:D)

Nah. Forget it. Neutron 5 look better for the same price.:P

SS

ps: £1000/component buys a lot of sound, MIB:clout:

pps: and your bathtub seems shallow only because...:green:

SSM wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:

Wow. Can I buy yours? (You don't even have to throw in an opera DVD that you hate.:D)

This house predicts that give it a month or two and the opportunity may well be yours :P