Sign in to follow this  
Sheva

'Dullaudio: Safe as F**k' ...... true or false?

Recommended Posts

Moderator

Trust me, if your electronics are bright and cheap, Dyns will show it - although maybe not as much as some brands will.

Certain speaker brands - often of French origin ;)- will make even the best electronics sound bright and cheap. :sick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the Dyn focus 110 (against Proac studio110s) and prefered the faster Proacs. The Dyns just didn't do it for me (although bass was very impressive, almost too much). Having seen the Dullaudio Dullasf**k logo I think maybe their even tonal balance (at least when compared to the slightly brighter Proacs) made them, a little, boring. Having said that I can't really fault them as they do everything well, just didn't find them terribly exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plug3 wrote:

I heard the Dyn focus 110 (against Proac studio110s) and prefered the faster Proacs. The Dyns just didn't do it for me (although bass was very impressive, almost too much). Having seen the Dullaudio Dullasf**k logo I think maybe their even tonal balance (at least when compared to the slightly brighter Proacs) made them, a little, boring. Having said that I can't really fault them as they do everything well, just didn't find them terribly exciting.

How does the bass quality on the ProAcs compare, P3? The Studio 110s were a design I didn't have a chance to listen to when I bought the Foci.

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one mans dull & closed inis another mans smooth and rich.

my problem is sometimes i like a smooth (read Dull)sound..sometimes i like an upfrontcrisp presentation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey stormtrooper. The bass on the Proacs is less powerful but for some reason I found it easier to follow the bass lines (?cleaner, more natural). I heard the Dyns immediately after the Proacs and the when the bass kicked in - was really impressed, had that WOW factor, but found the rest of the frequency range less upfront because of it. Proacs seemed to be more forward, exciting. Was a little confused after the audtion because, truly, I couldn't fault the dyns (and the dealer preferred them) but just found them a little 'uninvolving'. Can't put my finger on it precisely.....Of course I'm being picky here as they are both excellent speakers... (How do you find them SS ?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plug3 wrote:

Hey stormtrooper. The bass on the Proacs is less powerful but for some reason I found it easier to follow the bass lines (?cleaner, more natural). I heard the Dyns immediately after the Proacs and the when the bass kicked in - was really impressed, had that WOW factor, but found the rest of the frequency range less upfront because of it. Proacs seemed to be more forward, exciting. Was a little confused after the audtion because, truly, I couldn't fault the dyns (and the dealer preferred them) but just found them a little 'uninvolving'. Can't put my finger on it precisely.....Of course I'm being picky here as they are both excellent speakers... (How do you find them SS ?)

Exactly how it is with me. 'closed in' is what i wanted to say ( ? squashed amplitude). They are smaller speakers though (than the proacs). I didn't get to hear any other Dyns so I don't know if this is a charactersitic trait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not safe or boring speakers but they are low impedance/low sensitivity so need a lot of power to reach their potential - control the drive units.

However, a few loudspeaker designers believe that a drive unit should stop instantly and on it's own. That happens at around 93db sensitivity.

But that's another matter :fly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plug3 wrote:

I heard the Dyn focus 110 (against Proac studio110s) and prefered the faster Proacs. The Dyns just didn't do it for me (although bass was very impressive, almost too much). Having seen the Dullaudio Dullasf**k logo I think maybe their even tonal balance (at least when compared to the slightly brighter Proacs) made them, a little, boring. Having said that I can't really fault them as they do everything well, just didn't find them terribly exciting.

What was the electronics you heard them with? I've heard them both with Cyrus, and thought the Dyns blew the ProAcs out of the water; it may just have been that particular combo, using lean electronics to keep the Dyns in check. Probably the only reason i've not got some 110s is that i'd be using them reasonably close to a wall, and am worried about too much bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plug3 wrote:

Hey stormtrooper. The bass on the Proacs is less powerful but for some reason I found it easier to follow the bass lines (?cleaner, more natural). I heard the Dyns immediately after the Proacs and the when the bass kicked in - was really impressed, had that WOW factor, but found the rest of the frequency range less upfront because of it. Proacs seemed to be more forward, exciting. Was a little confused after the audtion because, truly, I couldn't fault the dyns (and the dealer preferred them) but just found them a little 'uninvolving'. Can't put my finger on it precisely.....Of course I'm being picky here as they are both excellent speakers... (How do you find them SS ?)

I found the Foci good for fleshing out thin recordings like 1950s classical recordings thanks to its big and smooth presentation, but like you have also observed, I found myself wanting a more communicative midrange, as the speakers settled-in and the novelty wore off. Dali's Mentor 1, for instance, offered a more comprehensive midband. My final take is that the Foci are exciting with bass-driven music, but become uninvolving with music where bass isn't the star: i.e. classical music like violin concertos and string quartets.

I hope to visit the ProAc dealer's sometime this Xmas.:)

cheerSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheva wrote:

plug3 wrote:
I heard the Dyn focus 110 (against Proac studio110s) and prefered the faster Proacs. The Dyns just didn't do it for me (although bass was very impressive, almost too much). Having seen the Dullaudio Dullasf**k logo I think maybe their even tonal balance (at least when compared to the slightly brighter Proacs) made them, a little, boring. Having said that I can't really fault them as they do everything well, just didn't find them terribly exciting.

What was the electronics you heard them with? I've heard them both with Cyrus, and thought the Dyns blew the ProAcs out of the water

; it may just have been that particular combo, using lean electronics to keep the Dyns in check. Probably the only reason i've not got some 110s is that i'd be using them reasonably close to a wall, and am worried about too much bass.

I heard them with the Roksan Caspian M series amp/cdp. Interestingly the Proacs sounded a tad too bright but took them home and paired with the Primare sounded just right. I'd imagine the cyrus would sound good with the Dyns (given enough power)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheva wrote:

'Dullaudio: Safe as F**k' ...... true or false?

Well, lots of folks would disagree with me ... but I've heard them quite a few times but only at Shows, and I would say 'true'.

I've not heard a pair of Dynys that did it for me, including those bigConfidence jobbies that sell for multiples of £10k driven by humungous Plinius amps.

Some love 'em, like meninblack, I find 'em dulldulldull, not as in treble rolloff, but as in uninteresting & boring.

YMMV :peace:

(Oops - my next post is number 5,000 - I must make sure it's a positive one ;))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plug3 wrote:

Sheva wrote:
plug3 wrote:
I heard the Dyn focus 110 (against Proac studio110s) and prefered the faster Proacs. The Dyns just didn't do it for me (although bass was very impressive, almost too much). Having seen the Dullaudio Dullasf**k logo I think maybe their even tonal balance (at least when compared to the slightly brighter Proacs) made them, a little, boring. Having said that I can't really fault them as they do everything well, just didn't find them terribly exciting.

What was the electronics you heard them with? I've heard them both with Cyrus, and thought the Dyns blew the ProAcs out of the water

; it may just have been that particular combo, using lean electronics to keep the Dyns in check. Probably the only reason i've not got some 110s is that i'd be using them reasonably close to a wall, and am worried about too much bass.

I heard them with the Roksan Caspian M series amp/cdp. Interestingly the Proacs sounded a tad too bright but took them home and paired with the Primare sounded just right. I'd imagine the cyrus would sound good with the Dyns (given enough power)...

The Caspian amp is a little bright IME. Certainly more so than the Primare I21 I heard. Glad to hear the combination with your Primares works.

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JANDL100 wrote:

(Oops - my next post is number 5,000 - I must make sure it's a positive one ;))

Please... don't give us a Bruckner thread.suicide2.gif

SS:D

ps: Bruckner was truly dreadful with my Foci.:sick::zzzz::zzzz::zzzz:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.