CJ1045

Linn at Bristol HiFi Show

Just booked up for the Bristol HiFi show at end of Feb. Am going on the Friday as it is less busy and can justify it as 'work'. Saw that Linn are there and you can book up now for their two demos, one on LP12 and the other Selekt DSM with 300 speakers. Have booked both back to back from 11am to Noon. Anyone else going?

CJ

Super Wammer

Yep.  Booked in for the Series 3 at 10am.  I'm sure the LP12 demo will be good too, but it doesn't specifically interest me and there's not enough time to do all the stuff that does interest me :)

I’ve got 11:00 (DSM) and 11:30 (LP12) on Friday!

Super Wammer

Same here, but will go down the evening before from North Yorkshire and stay over (4hr by train!)

AC

Linn were best of the show. Select DSM into Fyne Speakers (prob 700 series but they had full grilles on so not 100% sure). They sounded awesome. Interestingly it seemed to me that Select with standard DAC to Select with Katalyst was an improvement but not huge. Whereas Select with no SPACE versus Select with SPACE was huge difference. Crowd seemed to think so too. Akurate versus Makik LP12 was a good improvement too.

An aside is that I heard Fyne speakers in their own room too and they sounded no where near as good as when driven by Select and SPACED. Think they might have had Rega amps in their own room but did not take too much notice apart from they definitely were not Linn.

Very nice to meet fellow Wammers in the Linn demo, we occupied our own row and chatted over coffee afterwards. I probably spent more time chatting than listening to dems in other rooms!!

New bits coming to LP12 too but obviously no idea what.

CJ

• Like 3

Super Wammer

They were Fyne 502SP - built in UK! Same innards as next speaker up but not the shaped enclosure rather the square type and a modified downward firing port with shaped diffuser. 

I do however agree with all your other observations, and thanks for the coffee and chat and will be in touch next week!

listened to my own Tidal music from iPhone with noise cancelling bluetooth over ear Dali iO-6 headphones in their demo room with wireless speakers and was impressed enough to nearly buy them but saved by need to catch train North!

Another demo was of various speaker cables, interconnects and jointing fluid and NAIM power cables at the Chord and English Electric 8 port replacement shielded hub for a standard router  - all wallet draining improvements were apparent to all in the room!

Did not get to see/hear the 8k screen demo but heard/felt it!

Andrew

Linn used Atlas cables in the excellent Selekt Fyne demo.  It was certainly one of the best things I heard while there. 
Especially as Linn played Carla Bley. 

Mostly found the show disappointing. I was interested in Chord Electronics 2Go (network bridge), but it was explained it was folk who liked Roon and Internet subscription services (Tidal & Qobuz) and, as I had no interest in these, then I was better off using the Mac mini I already had. Probably not relevant for Linn systems. 

I liked the new Harbeth P3ESR XD and was happy to hear Eclipse and Magnepan sounding as good as ever: both in Decent Audio rooms.  

I expected to like more, but could not whip up much enthusiasm, which is good as I can happily stay with what I have. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CJ1045 said:

Interestingly it seemed to me that Select with standard DAC to Select with Katalyst was an improvement but not huge. Whereas Select with no SPACE versus Select with SPACE was huge difference. Crowd seemed to think so too.

Interestingly, I had the same observation about a year ago. I thought that Space Optimisation had a bigger impact than Katalyst. This was on a Selekt DSM driving B&W speakers.

30 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Interestingly, I had the same observation about a year ago. I thought that Space Optimisation had a bigger impact than Katalyst. This was on a Selekt DSM driving B&W speakers.

I have long thought that Katalyst, for all Linn's branding efforts, is not just one thing. The same components are present in each implementation, but the implementations themselves are different. As a very rough rule of thumb, the more board real estate and dedicated power is available for an implementation, the more effective it will be. That, I think, is why the upgrade of the Akurate Exaktboxes was so good. Conversely, in the more restricted form factor of Select (or the integrated Exalt speakers for that matter), the improvement Katalyst provides is not so marked.

David

• Like 2

Super Wammer

You have been busy!!!

Favorite quote from your report: “... An excellent demonstration of Linn's SPACE optmimisation benefits and Linn weren't even in the room...”

🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

You have been busy!!!

Favorite quote from your report: “... An excellent demonstration of Linn's SPACE optimisation benefits and Linn weren't even in the room...”

🤣

Glad to see somone's paying attention :)