Sign in to follow this  

Long - View : Mercury

Just retutned from Chavwater and while the missus was in Next, i left to my own devices popped into Virgin. Anyway they're doing alot of drivel in the five cd's for thirty quid promotion but the one's i picked up included this cd . First impressions very good. Alot more accessible than say the Engineers. Anyone else heard of this group. My money's on Chewie ;)

Guest purplepleaser

hi duvet, i have this album,the best track is the opener "further" rest of the album pretty good, not listened to itproperly for a while. is it the one with the bonus tracks.Why can't coldplay/travis pen songs like these guys. This album is very underated in my opinon. They maybe about to release another album soon ,seem to have heard or read something cheers lee

Well PP i basically paid six quid for it and its got the bonus cd with re-mixes. Gimmicky but what the fcuk. I likes it.:cool:

Guest purplepleaser

I WISH ALL THE CD'S THAT I BOUGHT HAD A GIMMICKY BONUS FOR SIX ENGLISH POUNDS.:( ENJOY ..LEE

Hi Duvet, six quid, six bloody quid :shock::XI am at present awaiting deliver of the album from Amazon which I ordered last Tuesday or Wednesday for the sum of £8.99.:x

I don’t know much about them but I do have their single “Further†which prompted me to buy the album.

Agggh well :( at least it sounds like I will like the album anyway :)

Guest purplepleaser

hi, the album first came out in 2003 and again there was the usual pap to push instead, the same think happened with snow patrol's final straw 18 months after in was released .(rant rant). it makes me:puke:..............lee

deep breaths into brown bag

Sorry to be a party pooper, but isn't this just another example of bland, homogenised Coldplay/Keane/Snow Patrol/Athlete/Straight to Radio Two/etc/etc pap?

If you buy enough of these you get a free Stannah Stairlift. Still, it will sound good when played in a LIFT. :peace:

Guest purplepleaser

meninblack wrote:

Sorry to be a party pooper, but isn't this just another example of bland, homogenised Coldplay/Keane/Snow Patrol/Athlete/Straight to Radio Two/etc/etc pap?

If you buy enough of these you get a free Stannah Stairlift. Still, it will sound good when played in a LIFT. :peace:

It is shame that these bands and others have been left on the back boiler whilst record companiespush pop rejects for a quick buck. Then have theballs to moan when people download of the net. Being pushed to radio 2 is not a bad thing as most people that listen appreciatethe musicmore in general,more disposable income and as for terry wogan crap on telly ,genius on the radio.Coldplay will not change the music much as say athlete due to the american market.All these bands were sleeper bands and then get the mercury nomination or a cracker of a songand then people buy.This happens all the time. Everyone has a love for a band before or after the ball has rolled. Once a band has made it "big" they should push their limits and make better music,if they do not push to really change or improve thats when they turn pap. sorry i'm ranting again lee

meninblack wrote:

I agree. But to me Longview are about the most bland and homogenised I have ever heard. The song comes on the radio, you know it's playing but you're not quite sure when it's finished because you just dont pay attention to it at all. It's dire music, fills me with great sadness that we have bands like this getting airplay.

Guest purplepleaser

maybe i agree in that you can forget its playing. But sometimes thats the way music is gets you,next time it comes on the radio your ears here something different. Its better to have these sorts of bands in a lift than some of the stuff in the charts.

lee

Well i wouldn't tar all these bands with the Coldplay brush . To me they are distinctly different. Bands like Thirteen Senses, Engineers and it would seem Longview are not trying to hook you with mindless top thirty shit that most mainstream acts seem to be more than happy to provide. The music seems more atmospheric to me and therefore the album has to be played whole, It can't be played as snapshots here and there because it doesn't work on that sort of level. Anyway i'm an old Japan and David Sylvian fan. I positively revel in depressing dirge:P

purplepleaser wrote:

maybe i agree in that you can forget its playing. But sometimes thats the way music is gets you,next time it comes on the radio your ears here something different. Its better to have these sorts of bands in a lift than some of the stuff in the charts.

lee

Oh my god, I didn't mean that I preferred what was on Radio One!!!!

I was making the point that (if you're over 12) bands like Coldplay are the mainstream, and it's a pity they're so piss poor. There is lots of good new music around, but unless you can get 6 music on digital you may never hear much of it. :(

Duvet wrote:

Well i wouldn't tar all these bands with the Coldplay brush . To me they are distinctly different. Bands like Thirteen Senses, Engineers and it would seem Longview are not trying to hook you with mindless top thirty shit that most mainstream acts seem to be more than happy to provide. The music seems more atmospheric to me and therefore the album has to be played whole, It can't be played as snapshots here and there because it doesn't work on that sort of level. Anyway i'm an old Japan and David Sylvian fan. I positively revel in depressing dirge:P

Duvet, these bands aren't depressing they're just boring. Everything they do was done better by the real indie bands 15 years ago. If you want some dark-flavoured new music, give The Postal Service, Editors, and The Arcade Fire a listen. :D

And they do all sound the same. :P

Guest purplepleaser

i agree totally . i think 6 radio is cool should notbe just avalible on digital.I also listen to radio one only to gilles peterson etc as they also push new music. oops i think that this is going away from the subject a bit. nevermind of to bed to the hum of coldplay;-).... lee