radiant red

Amazon 90 day Music HD free trial is back

Super Wammer

Just in case someone wants to give it a go

I see Amazon have added some high-res content from the last time I checked.

(My hardware doesn't support Amazon Music so I won't be trying this myself.)

Sounds good but missing features with HEOS app makes it no good for me.

46 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

Interesting.. has anyone compared with Tidal? Think i will check it out emoji6.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the Amazon HD free trial, which ended in December last year.

Fortuitously, I started the Tidal HiFi "Four months for £1.99" offer last November!

I have also tried Spotify Premium and Qobuz Studio.

From my point of view, I thought Amazon HD had potential. The app interface was good IMHO, but the only way I could stream it from my iPad to the system, was via Apple Airplay, which limits the resolution to 16 bit, 44.1KHz, so I wasn't getting the benefit of the higher resolution recordings (of which there are many) on offer!

Tidal HiFi, Quobuz and Spotify are all currently imbedded in the dCS Mosaic App and in the case of Tidal and Qobuz, stream High-Res through my system.

Spotify Premium is very listenable and good value, but it is not quite CD-quality, never mind High-Res!

Tidal HiFi is very good and in addition to the normal content, I also enjoy the MQA offerings, which my dCS kit can decode.

If Amazon and dCS got their heads together and incorporated the Amazon HD app within Mosaic, Amazon HD would be a definite contender in my book and at £12.99/month for Prime members, would represent excellent value for money!

There was a time when Qobuz could only be streamed to my system via Airplay, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding Amazon HD.

If I were to rank them for absolute sound quality/content, it would be Qobuz Studio (£24.99/month) Tidal HiFi (£19.99/month) Amazon HD (£14.99/month) and Spotify Premium (£9.99/month). Amazon HD has the potential to overtake Tidal HiFi, if the High-Res streaming became available to me!

• Like 3

Thanks Snoopdog- great info!

I am using a Bluesound Node as source which has native Amazon music - I’ll give it a try over the weekend and see how it compares with Tidal. It seems to have a bigger selection of music from what I’ve seen thus far.

It’s got all Thomas Dolby’s albums for example- and there not on Tidal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beermaniac said:

I am using a Bluesound Node as source which has native Amazon music - I’ll give it a try over the weekend and see how it compares with Tidal. It seems to have a bigger selection of music from what I’ve seen thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very strange as Thomas Dolby albums are listed on Tidal but with only 1 or 2 tracks on each one. 

2 hours ago, beermaniac said:

I also got the impression Amazon catalogue is somehow bigger. 

Just searched for the albums I've played from my own collection and:

Seawind - 3 albums on Amazon vs 0 on Tidal

Tortoise - 5 albums on Amazon vs 1 colaboration on Tidal

Mariami 'Gates' album available on Amazon but not on Tidal

... then number of artists/ albums not available on any of the two services

Hasn't this been discussed elsewhere? By "HD", Amazon mean cd quality, which they deem to be HD obviously compared to 320kp mp3- or has this changed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr neds said:

By "HD", Amazon mean cd quality, which they deem to be HD obviously compared to 320kp mp3- or has this changed?

Correct but they now also have 'Ultra-HD' which is high-res content.

7 hours ago, mr neds said:

Hasn't this been discussed elsewhere? By "HD", Amazon mean cd quality, which they deem to be HD obviously compared to 320kp mp3- or has this changed?

My mate just bought a audioquest cobalt dac..on qobuz im struggling to hear the difference between cd and mp3 with the cobalt dac..( he had the dragonfly before and it was more noticeable? Big jump from mp3 to hi res but with the cobalt? Mp3 cd and hi res got closer to eachother in my opinion) so maybe get a better dac and stay with mp3? 

Personally, even if I would not be able to tell the difference between 320 mp3 and original file I wouldn't feel comfortable to have my music served chopped, squeezed and discarded.. it's like having food prepared by a chef who regularly does not wash his hands after toilet.. none of the guests could tell the difference but the principles are gone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dari said:

Personally, even if I would not be able to tell the difference between 320 mp3 and original file I wouldn't feel comfortable to have my music served chopped, squeezed and discarded.. it's like having food prepared by a chef who regularly does not wash his hands after toilet.. none of the guests could tell the difference but the principles are gone. 

I'd view Amazon more like a delivery company than the chefs...

• Like 1

I asked Linn when Amazon Music HD will be integrated into Kazoo. Here is the answer:

"Unfortunately, I do not have any timeframe for our engineers to develop software to support Amazon HD, although we are certainly looking into this as a feature and hopefully it will not be too far away."