emcc_3e

Sonos obsolescence

18 hours ago, High 5 said:

Are Sonos really backtracking on this, or is it a damage limitation exercise following the almost universal angry response to their decision?

Sonos CEO... "We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away." - Which 2 of these 3 phrases are lies? Ergo the 3rd phrase falls.

PS the 2nd and 3rd phrases are lies. i.e. if they take away updates, they're taking something away.If there are no legacy updates, the components will be obsolete.

Someone( not a Sonos boss or employee) said that they could use 2 zones - one for legacy and one for modern. The modern would get updates, legacy would'nt but Sonos don't want that, They want you to buy NEW products.  They are now going down the Mocrosoft path of ending the life of certain products. Thing is, folk are still using 20-30 yo Windows, Sonos won't allow that. Over the next few years, Sonos will make more and more products obsolete, simply to generate sales. They don't really have loyal customers, they have consumers who like the convenience. Those consumers will find other outlets and Sonos will become small beer. They just don't get the wrath of the (American -in particular) consumer.B|

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They really mis-handled this. Could they not have branded the existing app Sonos ‘Classic’ and maintained that within the limitations of the hardware and then introduced the Sonos ‘Classic Plus’ App for newer hardware with features that the ‘Classic’ system couldn’t handle?

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 00:06, rabski said:

The only reason for anything commercial is profitability.

Before we get starry eyed about manufacturers being all lovely and supporting CD, let's remember things like Betamax, laserdisc, 8-tracks, etc. Trust me, if CD sales hadn't kept up at good rates, they'd have been in the same landfil site.

I bought a 4K BluRay player with the new TV last year, because I got offered a really good deal on it. However, even at the price I made absolutely certain it would have no problem with playing DVDs and standard BluRay didcs. Seems a wise move, considering the (not) masses of 4K releases, not to mention the insane prices of some.

Exactly 

People seem surprised when things like this happen? 

It's nothing more built in obselesence for devices with no moving parts, it doesn't make good business sense for products to last 20 years when you can make them go wrong after 5  and sell a replacement. 

Something needs to be done about obsolescence of perfectly good electronics through failure to keep software current and secure. I'm not sure what the answer is, but perhaps one possible solution is for manufacturers to charge an optional nominal long term support/maintenance fee for older products that kicks in after say 6 years. We've got so used to "free" software that it might be a hard sell ... but if it provides manufacturers with a nominal revenue stream to offset their costs and keeps products going then it might work?

Edited by t1no

NAD have a couple of amps with an option of a streamer module which simply plugs in the rear of the amp. Presumably, when that module needs replacing, a newer model will be available, hence you can keep the amp & only scrap/ replace the module. Much greener than having to throw the whole thing away.

I know NAD isn’t everyone’s cuppa tea & I assume other brands must do something similar? But I would think this is a decent approach.