emcc_3e

Sonos obsolescence

I have far too much experience of legacy products and software to be in the least surprised. It's one of the main reasons that I think very carefully before buying anything that is entirely dependent on its software and the manufacturers continuing support. Similarly, it's the reason I am extremely wary of anything cloud based and similar. The less you physically have or own, the less control you have.

For streaming, I have no intention of spending substantial sums on something that is totally reliant on external support. It should be obvious to anyone what will happen in the future and I'm afraid it's always a case of when, not if.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, rabski said:

I have far too much experience of legacy products and software to be in the least surprised. It's one of the main reasons that I think very carefully before buying anything that is entirely dependent on its software and the manufacturers continuing support. Similarly, it's the reason I am extremely wary of anything cloud based and similar. The less you physically have or own, the less control you have.

For streaming, I have no intention of spending substantial sums on something that is totally reliant on external support. It should be obvious to anyone what will happen in the future and I'm afraid it's always a case of when, not if.

Best to make sure any streaming equipment that you buy comes with vendor neutral get out of jail card such as having an analogue aux in / digital input, Bluetooth, or DLNA connections ... preferably all of these. Oh, and a way to define custom URLs for internet radio.

Edited by t1no

Just now, t1no said:

Best to make sure any streaming equipment that a you buy comes with vendor neutral get out of jail card such as having a 3.5mm aux in, Bluetooth, or DLNA connections ... preferably  all three. Oh, and a way to define custom URLs for internet radio.

I use a spare netbook and a USB to SPDIF converter. I don't have any need to control it using a phone app and the software is free. I can decide which, if any, services I want to pay for on a monthly basis. Regardless of the cost, I simply can't see any benefit in adding a dedicated streamer, and certainly not if it involves third-party software to keep it running. Sorry, but that looks to me like a good way to spend a lot of money on something that it is potentially going to be a useful doorstop in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

I don't mean any offence to Sonos owners on here but I think you're missing the point that Sonos is, to many people, a must have lifestyle product and as such they can do no wrong in the eyes of those who buy them as a fashion accessory as opposed to a functional piece of equipment. In fact they probably relish the idea of 30% off the latest version with which to impress their equally brand/image conscious friends who will then have to buy one themselves in order to keep up. Genius bit of marketing when you look at it like this

It didn't do Apple any harm when they were exposed for deliberately slowing down older Iphones in order to encourage owners to buy new ones or to increase battery life whichever you find more believable lol

Presumably Sonos must have done their research so you may well be right. It will be interesting to see how it pans out but I see Sonos as a very different proposition to a single purchase phone. Sonos are offering a multi purchase system where ongoing flexibility and integration are major selling points and once you have made your first purchase you are effectively locked into their brand. Will this latest move break that lock.  I'm certainly no expert but am I right in thinking that until fairly recently there were not a huge number of affordable alternatives.  It could be that many of their customers are indeed lifestyle orientated and sound quality may not be top of their agenda in which case the flood of possible cheap alternatives from the likes of Google and Amazon may seem an attractive proposition as it would seem these are practically being given away in order to lock punters in to their systems. 

• Upvote 1

My beloved ipod touch 4 hasnt been Supported for a long time..its effectively useless..somewhere theres a mountain of unuseable phones, ipods..tablets etc..now sonos has added itself!  Why arent these companies forced to recycle their redundant products? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Nearly bewildered said:

My beloved ipod touch 4 hasnt been Supported for a long time..its effectively useless..somewhere theres a mountain of unuseable phones, ipods..tablets etc..now sonos has added itself!  Why arent these companies forced to recycle their redundant products? 

Totally agreed, it's well overdue. The true cost of what we consume is far from obvious..

For years many large organisation have been putting profits above safety and public interest. Don't think anything will change until companies and their CEOs are legally made responsible for the effects of their actions. Even now companies that seemed respectable like VW are happy to balance people's premature deaths again profits. Apple alone have sold over 2.2 billion phones the majority of which wil have been scrapped due to built in obsolescence, given the amount of toxic substances in each phone I wonder how many premature deaths that has brought about in third world dumping grounds.  Not to mention the number of deaths resulting from conflicts caused by wars over who controls scarse mineral rights. I know we don't want to revert to the stone age but perhaps we need to rethink a little.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

Totally agreed, it's well overdue. The true cost of what we consume is far from obvious..

For years many large organisation have been putting profits above safety and public interest. Don't think anything will change until companies and their CEOs are legally made responsible for the effects of their actions. Even now companies that seemed respectable like VW are happy to balance people's premature deaths again profits. Apple alone have sold over 2.2 billion phones the majority of which wil have been scrapped due to built in obsolescence, given the amount of toxic substances in each phone I wonder how many premature deaths that has brought about in third world dumping grounds.  Not to mention the number of deaths resulting from conflicts caused by wars over who controls scarse mineral rights. I know we don't want to revert to the stone age but perhaps we need to rethink a little.

I come from the 'make do and mend' generation to an extent. Of course, I love my shiny things, but I do try to avoid upgrading for the sake of it. When it comes to consumer electronics, I'm almost at the other end of the scale, because I absolutely hate 'upgrading'. It costs money I could spend on better things, it makes needless waste and generally involves ending up with something that has new features, the vast majority of which you don't use, and often doesn't actually do the things the old one used to.

Phones are the worst. Absolutely hopeless rubbish. It's ironic that things like the original Nokia 3310 are now worth fair money because they're incredibly robust and reliable. Mainly because they're not bogged down with a million pointless apps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The only reason anyone would be "locked" into the Sonos ecosystem is if you value the multiroom functionality (i.e. playing the same music in multiple rooms simultaneously). Apart from that, there's nothing whatsoever to prevent anyone adopting a mix 'n' match approach to hardware (although it's probably a ball-ache managing different software interfaces to control them....). If you want to play different music in different rooms, there's no advantage to having the same brand equipment apart from the ease of use / familiarity. Same as computing equipment - if you want the joined-up functionality that comes with owning an iPhone and other Apple products, then yeah, you have to commit to it, but if you are happy not to see calendars, notes, emails etc shared across all devices, answer your phone calls on your laptop etc then it doesn't matter one bit if you buy a Windows laptop and an iPhone.

The way of everything electronic, it seems, in life nowadays is an ever-decreasing life-cycle before "obsolescence" kicks in. In fairness however, devices rarely stop working altogether at that point, however eventually the world moves on until the point where an out of date product is no longer capable of performing its basic function. As has been pointed out already, the "legacy" Sonos products are not going to stop working any time soon, it just means no further updates, and hence no new services or features. It will carry on doing what it currently does for the forseeable future. If the kit currently does what you want it to, then carry on using it. That's precisely what I'm going to do, until it actually breaks down completely. Or until Sonos in their infinite wisdom decide to remotely send commands to disable them, at which point I shall post the remains back to them directly and tell them exactly what they can do with it. And go to another brand.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30% trade in on perfectly good, serviceable and working products? No thanks, especially as there’s now a good probability than any new items bought are only going to be good for a few years, before the same obsolescence fate is applied to them.

I’ll keep my 2 Play 5’s and Connect going as long as they work well enough to be of any use, but no more new Sonos products for me.

Judging by the customer feedback right across the web, I’m not alone. Sonos might have bricked their own company.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, High 5 said:

30% trade in on perfectly good, serviceable and working products? No thanks, especially as there’s now a good probability than any new items bought are only going to be good for a few years, before the same obsolescence fate is applied to them.

I’ll keep my 2 Play 5’s and Connect going as long as they work well enough to be of any use, but no more new Sonos products for me.

Judging by the customer feedback right across the web, I’m not alone. Sonos might have bricked their own company.

What annoyed me the most about that "offer", and the thing I absolutely CANNOT countenance, is the bricking of the old equipment as part of the upgrade process. That's environmental vandalism in the highest. Trashing perfectly serviceable, functioning electronic equipment is just insane. And their glib response about the consumer taking it to be recycled... yeah, right. I suspect a chunk of consumers would probably just shove it in their waste bin for roadside collection, and even those who take it to the local waste management site - how do any of us ACTUALLY know where it ends up? While I'm sure we like to think that it goes somewhere for dismantling, recovery of precious metals etc, there's also a strong possibility of it ending up in a landfill somewhere on the other side of the world, polluting local water supplies with leaching chemicals. This is just Sonos washing their hands of the problem that THEY have created, and is pretty disgusting IMO. 

So while I shall be continuing to use (and extend the life of) what I currently have, there will be no more Sonos for me. As you say, High5, they may have shot themselves in the foot somewhat, although I doubt it will lead to the demise of the company....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Its a bit like the logitech sbt, im so glad i bought a dac instead of a sonos port, when they pull the plug on my play1 im done with sonos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meridian man said:

Its a bit like the logitech sbt, im so glad i bought a dac instead of a sonos port, when they pull the plug on my play1 im done with sonos. 

Other excellent sounding wireless speakers are available without paying the Sonos premium ... for between £60 (Samsung AKG) - £100 (Panasonic GA10) you can get premium build, aux in (in case you're worried about obsolescence), Bluetooth, streaming services, multiroom etc.

237398183alt1.thumb.jpeg.5ff2ce5fc0c7365d990a5fa0b2f56ed6.jpeg

20200123_195104.jpg.a9612c749e9031230858de903cc86876.jpg

Edited by t1no
  • Like 1

Just Saw on the news..that sonos will keep their old speakers going for as long as possible?  Thats kind of them! 

My record player and my CD player and my speakers dont need updates or have a app..so when i want to hear music in another part of the house? I shall lug them about in my wheelbarrow lol..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning all! This might be useful to some! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-51231363

Hope it helps! 👍 👍 👍