Friendly Ghost

Two sets of speakers

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, rabski said:

In terms of protecting the amplifier, it is, yes.

On the other hand, in hifi terms, running speakers in series is going to potentially adversely affect the sound. It won't do any harm to the equipment, but you're putting a frequency-dependent variable impedance (a speaker) in line with each speaker, and this is definitely going to change its response to an extent.

very true .. I put an extension into the kitchen to listen to the internet radio out there - With one pair driven the quality is great - with both playing first off you get a volume drop and of course when you turn it up to compensate the lounge being a bigger room is fine but the volume then in the kitchen will probably take your head off ...having said that using a twin terminal amp has the same problems as each pair of speakers is not controllable in isolation.

i should add when I replaced my Gales I put them out on top of the kitchen cupboards (god it was fabulous) but when we had the kitchen redone the wall cabinets were much taller and they had to go :(   

It is not a device for serious listening when you have both speakers engaged .. but great if you are 'er indoors doing the housework and flitting about the downstairs ... and if it keeps her happy then I am usually happy :) 

Edited by uzzy
Additional data
  • Like 1

I hadn't thought of the potential volume difference issue between the two rooms. An advantage of using active speakers in the kitchen is they generally have their own volume control.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
23 hours ago, uzzy said:

The QED switch box ensures due to the electronics inside that the imepedance does not drop below that of one set of speakers .. what it does is when one pair is selected it is connected in straight in (as it is when you direct connect to the amp) when you switch to playing two pairs at the same time it connects them in series.  So if you have two sets of 4 ohm loudspeakers when playing both pairs the amp will see 8 ohms .   I did say earlier in my original post that the switch box provides protection.  This is how it does it 

I corrected the above - when the switch is on for both sets of speakers it connects them in series (I had said parallel)  .. connecting both in parallel will halve the impedance (two sets of 6 ohm speakers the amp would see 3 ohms) ..  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, uzzy said:

I corrected the above - when the switch is on for both sets of speakers it connects them in series (I had said parallel)  .. connecting both in parallel will halve the impedance (two sets of 6 ohm speakers the amp would see 3 ohms) ..  

I must be learning: physics / electrics has never been a strength of mine and yet I spotted you meant in series :cool:

• Like 1

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

I must be learning: physics / electrics has never been a strength of mine and yet I spotted you meant in series :cool:

It shows who reads I guess  - I was expecting a lambasting from the techies in here :nerves:

For future reference I found another amp option: Creek 100A has the A/B option as well.
I am starting to see that indeed I will almost never be listening to the two pairs of speakers at the same time, so my preference for keeping one amp controlling both pairs of speakers remains (reducing box count).

Anyone any experience regarding the sound of Creek, Luxman, Yamaha, Accuphase amps in relation to Marantz?
Just to be clear I will certainly go and listen before buying, no need to mention the importance of '"Try before you buy" ;)