Friendly Ghost

Two sets of speakers

Hello all

I am having a hard time finding integrated amplifiers that have two sets of speaker terminals.
I would like to be able to drive two sets of speakers, one in the living room, another in the kitchen.

Apart from Accuphase and Luxman (which are out of my pricerange), I can't seem to find many options.
I now use a Marantz PM 6005 and wanted to start auditioning for an upgrade.

My budget would be 3000€.
Other requirements:
- MM phono stage built in
- Good power supply as I will run both pairs of speakers together once in a while

I am actually pretty happy with the sound from the Marantz, but have not heard to many other soundsignatures.
I will definitely audition before buying, this is purely to get a list of candidates.
Speakers are Focal Aria 906's but might switch to floorstanders over time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Casper

Have you considered getting some active speakers for the kitchen instead? I wouldn't personally want my choice of amp for my main system to be restricted by wanting it to also have to power speakers in the kitchen. Being able to switch between two sets of speakers is not a common feature.

What source(s) you want to be able to use for the kitchen system may be a factor too of course.

NAD C368 and 388 both have two speaker terminals. Ideally, to run two sets of speakers at the same time, both pairs of speakers need to be 8ohm, though if you keep the volume <50% one pair could be below 8ohm. I also think the Yamaha AS801 & 1100 etc have two speaker terminals and may be ok with less than 8ohm speakers. 

Some of the more modern amplifiers and receivers can do multi-room or (re)transmit over Bluetooth. This means you can use a powered speaker in the kitchen without routing speaker cables. You will need access to a power outlet for these speakers except in some circumstances where the speaker can take a portable battery pack.

Edited by t1no

Many vintage transistor amps used to be able to run two different pairs of speakers independently:

sony-ta-f730es.jpg

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, Friendly Ghost said:

Hello all

I am having a hard time finding integrated amplifiers that have two sets of speaker terminals.
I would like to be able to drive two sets of speakers, one in the living room, another in the kitchen.

Apart from Accuphase and Luxman (which are out of my pricerange), I can't seem to find many options.
I now use a Marantz PM 6005 and wanted to start auditioning for an upgrade.

My budget would be 3000€.
Other requirements:
- MM phono stage built in
- Good power supply as I will run both pairs of speakers together once in a while

I am actually pretty happy with the sound from the Marantz, but have not heard to many other soundsignatures.
I will definitely audition before buying, this is purely to get a list of candidates.
Speakers are Focal Aria 906's but might switch to floorstanders over time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Casper

I use a QED speaker switch box to run another pair of speakers in the kitchen.

Running two separate pairs of speakers has its problems for an amplifier.  You have to ensure that both sets of speakers are 8 ohms or higher (if you connect two pairs and run at the same time it halves the impedence - two sets of 6ohm speakers means your amp sees 3 ohms and many will not like it and go bang eventually).  A QED speaker switiching box means your amp will see a minimum of the impedence of the lowest set connected.

I use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-MA17-2-WAY-SPEAKER-SWITCHING-UNIT-1-1-2-2-SWITCHABLE-LARGE-SCREW-TERMINALS/153793809388?epid=2256027562&hash=item23ced34bec:g:pYcAAOSwpbheG2ZD    there are others available - do and ebay search for QED Speaker Switch.  Note they do three speaker switches in case you want to have a pair elsewhere as well.

Edited by uzzy
spelling
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

Most amps with two sets of speaker terminals have an a / b switch negating the need for a switching box? 

I believe the switching box was (sensibly) being suggested as an alternative, to be used with an amp without two sets of outputs.

Edited by MartinC

@Friendly Ghost could you clarify whether you want to be able to play the two sets of speakers at the same time, or rather to play one pair or the other?

FWIW a different option within the £3k budget would be to not buy an integrated amp but rather a pre-amp with two pairs of outputs, to feed 4 power amp channels.

4 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

The OP did say they would sometimes want to use both sets of speakers at the same time. 

The OP isn't actually that explicit, which is why I've asked to clarify.