jkbmusic

Bose today, Gone tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Gray said:

Let's be honest though, how many Wammer's do we think bought from any of them?

Headphones x 2, Acoustimass 10, Computer 2.1, Soundlink, Soundbar, Wave CD Radio.
Looks like I’m in the minority :(.

Edited by jkbmusic
  • Upvote 1

I think the only Bose product I've heard was one of their little Wave all-in-one things that a friend had. In the conservatory where he had it the sound was pretty awful due to the bass being ridiculously boomy/dominant. I don't doubt that Bose have made some much better products though!

I have the Wave with the after thought DAB module and I use it everyday and like it a lot. Also have a set of original quiet headphones. They are ok but the sound is a bit muddy

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bolosun said:

I have the Wave with the after thought DAB module and I use it everyday and like it a lot. Also have a set of original quiet headphones. They are ok but the sound is a bit muddy

I have an original Bose Wave CD player/Clock radio, which I have used almost every day since I bought it about 1998, when it was introduced. So that means it is still going strong, although being used almost every day and night, for the last 22 years continuously. I think I might get used to it over time, so it might be a keeper :whistle:.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, jkbmusic said:

A Quote lifted from their website...

Our people are the heart and soul of our business, driving the innovation, creativity and excellence that have made Bose what it is today. By helping our people to live richer and more meaningful lives, we create a work environment that can attract and retain the best talent, which will perpetuate our business into the future.”

The irony of the above statement beggars belief. :doh: 

...Oh, by the way, Pick up your P45 On the way out.

That isn’t irony, that is life in the private sector. In the world of lean working practices, you dispense with surplus people as easily as you dispense with surplus stock.

The company will be bought into the 21st century now there has been a change of the guard at the top. I have to say I ran into a Bose salesperson at a festival once. The man was a dick, and utterly ignored the fact that the systems he was demonstrating sounded shit because they were turned up too loud. Sadly in that particular case, the problem wasn’t the gear. It was the person marketing it in completely the wrong way to a relatively mature crowd at a food festival. Talk about getting his target demographic wrong!

For the record I am a happy user of Bose Companion 20’s to give a minimalist TV setup some extra grunt. So is my Son in Law who bought a pair for his gaming rig on hearing mine. 

Once had a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones which I really liked. Still got my Bose SoundLink Mini 2. Still going strong after 6yrs. Accompanies me on all holidays.. Love it! 

If we keep on buying everything off the internet..we will have no shops! I wrote a poem on this subject a couple of years ago..last week i was in langney shopping centre..a new extension  has been built..very nice..full of light! But I was wondering what shops would move in? Shops are closing all over the place..even charity shops are closing! Anyway back to subject my mate has a bose radio and its brilliant for what it is..

27 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

I have to say I ran into a Bose salesperson at a festival once. The man was a dick, and utterly ignored the fact that the systems he was demonstrating sounded shit because they were turned up too loud.

I had the same problem at the York Outlet last time I visited. They had to summon the store manager to answer my technical question about wiring a 5.1 system 9_9. After answering the query, in one room I entered, a middle aged gentleman was being demonstrated an all in one system. It was in my opinion WAY TOO LOUD!, so I presented a wry smile 9_9, said nothing :zip:, and left before my ears started to bleed :minikev:. Ignorance to the fact that volume does not equate to quality of sound was lost on the salesperson.

4 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

I had the same problem at the York Outlet last time I visited. They had to summon the store manager to answer my technical question about wiring a 5.1 system 9_9. After answering the query, in one room I entered, a middle aged gentleman was being demonstrated an all in one system. It was in my opinion WAY TOO LOUD!, so I presented a wry smile 9_9, said nothing :zip:, and left before my ears started to bleed :minikev:. Ignorance to the fact that volume does not equate to quality of sound was lost on the salesperson.

Volume and bass are the chief determinants over system choice for in-car systems it seems. (Just listen to them as they WHUMPA WHUMPA WHUMPA past your house especially during warm weather when the drivers love to share their musical tastes with the whole world.) It’s what I get asked most about my hi-fi ... “how loud will it go?” and “how big is your sub?” (alas, I have no sub and I prefer moderate volume levels that don’t present any danger to my ears).

We have a Bose showroom but I wouldn’t dream of asking them to demo an item because it would be a waste of my time and theirs even if I were buying it. 

TBH I can’t stand shop demos of any brand of hi-fi in any hi-fi retail outlet. It makes me feel agoraphobic and usually gives me a headache too. (No reflection on our local Audio-T chaps who are superb and friendly and knowledgeable.)

I have bought all my Bose gear from John Lewis.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jkbmusic said:

Headphones x 2, Acoustimass 10, Computer 2.1, Soundlink, Soundbar, Wave CD Radio.
Looks like I’m in the minority :(.

Blimey, no wonder they're struggling, you've cleaned them out of stock.

• Haha 3

IIRC, Bose was sold in general hifi shops. They started being more & more demanding of the dealers insisting on which competitor products could/couldn't be sold alongside their brand to the point where they stopped using independent dealers to become only available in their own stores & JL.

Like B&O & Loewe they are a lifestyle product, which seem to do a decent enough job,  & sold on brand awareness over being demonstrably better than similarly priced competition.

So going on line only is an extension of that chain of thought. If you're not bothered about comparisons & purchase purely on the brand name alone, then high street presence is not really required. Just plenty of ads in the newspapers & whathifi etc.

I see that Naim/Focal are in the process of opening a couple of high end boutiques, with more to follow, so in time maybe even they will go down a similar route?

Edited by manicatel

I was interested in a Bose sound plinth and asked for a demo at the York outlet. They had a disc to demonstrate it, all explosions, cars revving, loud noises played at high volume. My interest was in what speech sounded like, as my TV's tiny speakers weren't very clear. I repeatedly asked for a demonstration of speech, but the disc didn't have any. They couldn't demonstrate what I was interested in, so no sale. 

Super Wammer

TBH, never really liked Bose. They had this trick in their shops to instantly attract the average customer with their unusual attempt to create a false soundstage.. the ears were instantly drawn to it. People would buy, pay well over the odds and never experience true stereo. Most would end up on eBay eventually or the attic. 

Clever marketing? Probably, but the public have in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s have missed out. The same with B&O. Very expensive but sounded pants compared to a well put together separate system as I proved to a mate back in the 80’s. He thought he had the dogs dangly bits but his face was a picture after he heard the real thing. I won’t miss the Bose shops because I’ve never used them but it will mean more empty shops and or more £1 shops which ultimately is not good. 
wouldn't it be good if we could re invent music post Brexit and fill the shops with our musical ideas. 

There are a few vinyl or second hand media shops joining forces with coffee shops and apparently they are booming ..

now there’s an idea when I move to Devon (Gods waiting room). Plenty of coffee aged drinkers there 😜 

Edited by radiant red

Shame to see a bastion of "hifi" go from the high streets, that means job losses, vacant shop fronts and perhaps a downturn in overall sales. At least places like John Lewis will continue to stock Bose and their headphones can be found worldwide.

their products are not my bag although many moons ago we fitted out Punch Taverns up and down the country with some big Bose boxes with the  twin offset tweeters, we used Crown amps and boy did those Bose pump out some serious volume!

Edited by Strider

When I was in Harrods Sound & Vision 10 years back we sold their noise cancelling headphones and 5.1 surround with HD storage for music.

The noise cancelling headphones were massively popular. They had a loyal customer base. Their 5.1 could sound impressive for the size of the speakers. They were perfect for those who wanted surround sound with minimal impact to the room space. Very expensive for what it was though. I think it was the first HD storage music system I came across.

Bose were always behind the times. Their 5.1 just had a DVD drive, when bluray was all the rage, but maybe that was the strength of it also.

• Upvote 1