Gaz38

Soundstage

42 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

Well, actually, the Soundfield Mic is an array configuration. It would have to be - to capture all planes. It's not something somebody knocked up their shed over the course of a weekend. There was considerable development went into it. Look-up old issues of Hi-Fi News & RR and you'll find it gave periodical updates. Google it.

Obviously you're never going to get 100% accurate playback in the home - or anything like it, I imagine. A close approximation is the best you can look for, realistically speaking.

There's a new headphone system out that I saw on YouTube. According to the ones that have heard it it gives a night and day experience compared to conventional playback. It achieves this as it takes into account an individual's unique sound-proccessing process. News to me, but when the ear detects sound vibrartions - it also produces and emits sounds in response. In this system, this individual sound signature is measured and fed back and processed with the music signal, to give an altogether more real listening experience.

Sent from my K3 using Tapatalk

I have been talking about speakers.

I have no interest in headphones.

It was for others who may have an interest.

13 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

It was for others who may have an interest.

Binaural works well with headphones.

Not many recordings around. I have a few.

11 hours ago, tuga said:

Binaural works well with headphones.

Not many recordings around. I have a few.

One of the best I have is an Edgar Froese recording Aqua which really makes full use of space. He was the founder of Tangerine Dream. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/01/2020 at 19:07, AntA said:

I think most people think that soundstage is real. However as the OP says if you name a particular track is there consensus on the position of the instruments and singers. I don't think there is as people hear different frequencies at different levels. It would be an interesting experiment.

My hearing is deteriorating (I'm 71) at different rates for each ear.  The positioning of performers is moving as that occurs, and as the changes also vary with frequency, some instruments tend to wander.  Live sounds stay put, as they come from a single source.  

I have always had a peak at 6-8kHz (the usual tests go no higher, so my peak may have extended higher.  Not now though), so for years I have argued that different people hear differently.  It's been amazing how much denial that has generated!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

I have always had a peak at 6-8kHz (the usual tests go no higher, so my peak may have extended higher.  Not now though), so for years I have argued that different people hear differently.  It's been amazing how much denial that has generated!

It amazes me that anyone would believe otherwise. The fact that you see people wearing hearing aids is the most obvious proof of the point.

And that people love those goddam awful **** amps. :P

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

It amazes me that anyone would believe otherwise. The fact that you see people wearing hearing aids is the most obvious proof of the point.

You've only got to stick your fingers on your ear pinnas  [the big gristly bit ] and  push them back to your head or pull them out a bit and you'll hear surprising differences in the perceived tonal balance of the sound finding it's way in ...especially in that important presence band of frequencies.

This maybe gives us some idea of how hearing may differ... and that's just one tiny external anatomical difference.

We know that the various  electro mechanical transducers we listen via every day have greatly differing sounds...so why should everybody's ears have the same frequency response curve  ?  The ear in effect  is just the final transducer in the chain  .

[Just don't try that ear tweaking in company...or somebody will send for the chaps in white coats .]

• Upvote 1

On 13/01/2020 at 18:43, tIANcI said:

I personally find it hard to believe a 2 channel system actually will create such a sonic 3D effect

Have a listen to "Amused To Death By Roger Waters".  That whole album creates a freaky "sonic 3D effect". From a dog barking in your neighbour's garden, to a woman sat just to the left of you, talking in your earhole. It's very weird, but strangely beguiling. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Tristan said:

Have a listen to "Amused To Death By Roger Waters".  That whole album creates a freaky "sonic 3D effect". From a dog barking in your neighbour's garden, to a woman sat just to the left of you, talking in your earhole. It's very weird, but strangely beguiling. 

Best with headphone or ...

7 hours ago, tIANcI said:

Best with headphone or ...

Nope. Just a good 2 channel setup with speakers. It's recorded in "Q Sound" which was some weird pseudo surround type processing from the 80s. Madonna's Immaculate Collection uses it too (same producer on both albums from memory). 

Edit to add, CD only I think for the full effect. 

Edited by Tristan

15 minutes ago, Tristan said:

Madonna's Immaculate Collection

From the days when she was a virgin, I presume?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tuga said:

From the days when she was a virgin, I presume?

From before she was a virgin :rofl:

• Haha 1