dhunter

Rega CD Players

Well that was a productive afternoon.

My mate brought his planet (mk1) over and we spent the afternoon switching between the 2 players.

It seems the NAD is actually better than we thought it would be. We were expecting a night and day difference - but there wasn't much in it.

Over many tracks the  conclusion was that the Rega had a slightly better top end  with a touch more clarity but when the music got louder it got a bit "zingy" which at times was a little too much.

The NAD on the other hand had more weight to it and just felt more in control on the louder sections making it easier to listen too.

They were both played through Naim 62/140 with Avondale APX into Cheviots.

It seemed the NAD was a good match for the upfront Naim sound, it being a little weightier and rolling off the spikes.

Conclusion is I could happily live with either player so there doesn't seem to be much point in actually changing it unless i was going to make a big step forward. Which is always a possibility but then our attention turned to the whole digital music/storage/streaming thing and i think i am going to do some research into something like a Bluesound Vault or similar.

I already have a Spotify subscription but only use it for in the car/office or finding new music. For proper listening i need higher res so ripping all my CD's to something like a vault could well be the way to go.

But should it be a vault ......or a mac mini ....or........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dhunter said:

I already have a Spotify subscription but only use it for in the car/office or finding new music. For proper listening i need higher res so ripping all my CD's to something like a vault could well be the way to go.

In case it's of interest, you can still currently get a 5 month subscription to Tidal HiFi for just £5. I've only been properly using it for a couple of days but I'm impressed. 

Whats the difference between tidal and spotify?

Edit: just seen its hi res - might just give that a try

Edited by dhunter

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Have no idea what a HB burn it pro is?  agreed re dac magic..fantastic dac for the money

Ah ok - well as you didn't google then I will do it for you .. here is a review of it I al https://rapmag.com/a/80-01/feb01/2016-test-drive-hhb-burnit-cdr-830-cd-recorder

This was the first generation ones - the latter ones had a Pioneer Chassis with stable platter .. I had the chance of one of those for £150 and regret not buying it .  Its big advantage over other CD recorders is being "professional" it does not see CD protection (you csn copy any CD but only at 2 to 4 times speed) and uses bog standard CDRs or CDRWs .. and whilst costly new the actual cd laser mechanism is a cheapy .. I got mine second hand for £100 about ten years ago ...  I also use it as a Headphone amp - well headphone facility - just sling it in record mode (it will do this without having a disc present) and hey presto any source playing can be fed to the headphones (handy when I am playing vinyl sometimes) 

HHb-BurnIT-CDR830

Even if you never used the CD record facility one of these with a decent DAC is a great performer ..  

Ah ok - well as you didn't google then I will do it for you .. here is a review of it I al https://rapmag.com/a/80-01/feb01/2016-test-drive-hhb-burnit-cdr-830-cd-recorder

This was the first generation ones - the latter ones had a Pioneer Chassis with stable platter .. I had the chance of one of those for £150 and regret not buying it .  Its big advantage over other CD recorders is being "professional" it does not see CD protection (you csn copy any CD but only at 2 to 4 times speed) and uses bog standard CDRs or CDRWs .. and whilst costly new the actual cd laser mechanism is a cheapy .. I got mine second hand for £100 about ten years ago ...  I also use it as a Headphone amp - well headphone facility - just sling it in record mode (it will do this without having a disc present) and hey presto any source playing can be fed to the headphones (handy when I am playing vinyl sometimes) 
HHb-BurnIT-CDR830.png
Even if you never used the CD record facility one of these with a decent DAC is a great performer ..  
I use the HHB stable platter recorder as the transport in my second system, many others have come and gone... It's actually a rebadged Pioneer Elite, I forget the model number.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, dhunter said:

Whats the difference between tidal and spotify?

The most obvious differences are that Tidal HiFi* is lossless (CD quality) whilst Spotify does seem to have a larger music catalogue based on my limited comparison so far. As with all streaming sites, you need to see for yourself how their library sits with what you'd want to listen to. £5 for 5 months is ridiculously cheap to try it - that's total not per month.

*There is also a Tidal Premium that is a 320 kbps compressed stream like Spotify. 

Here's how Tidal sell themselves:

https://tidal.com/whatistidal

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dhunter said:

My mate brought his planet (mk1) over and we spent the afternoon switching between the 2 players.

It seems the NAD is actually better than we thought it would be. We were expecting a night and day difference - but there wasn't much in it.

Over many tracks the  conclusion was that the Rega had a slightly better top end  with a touch more clarity but when the music got louder it got a bit "zingy" which at times was a little too much.

The NAD on the other hand had more weight to it and just felt more in control on the louder sections making it easier to listen too.

It seemed the NAD was a good match for the upfront Naim sound, it being a little weightier and rolling off the spikes.

Conclusion is I could happily live with either player so there doesn't seem to be much point in actually changing it unless i was going to make a big step forward. Which is always a possibility but then our attention turned to the whole digital music/storage/streaming thing and i think i am going to do some research into something like a Bluesound Vault or similar.

Unless you're spending many thousands the difference between any brand is going to be slight. I would personally still buy the Saturn I showed you because (A) this should give you an extra lift in sound quality and (B) this company has a 30 days returns, so that'll give you a chance to have a good demo before deciding one way or the other.

Good luck.

16 hours ago, dhunter said:

or...a decent dac for ' proper listening ' you might find mp3 surprisingly good?  Through a decent dac..I can recommend a jolida fx valve Dac..( I was doing some comparing of dacs through my AKG 550 headphones this morning..iPad mini 3..a Sony z5..Cyrus 'soundkey' and the Jolida..the iPad Dac is terrific and the Sony is no slouch either..the Cyrus was very good as well ( I have a dodgy earphone socket on the Sony so the Cyrus enables me to use phone with headphones thru mini USB I don't think the iPad Dac or the Sony Dac inferior...just different! ) then I tried the headphones thru the Jolida...night and day difference!!   superior in every way..The Jolida is a fab Dac..so might be worth a punt? In my humble opinion...

• Like 2