Stormin'Norman

WTB Quality MC phono stage

Super Wammer

Looking for above, seeking to replace Puresound P10 & T10 pairing to mate with an AT 0C9/ III.

Let me know what you got or suggestions much appreciated

Thanks 

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Budget?? 

Don't know what your diy skills are like, but you wouldn't go far wrong with a Big Bottle phonostage (now in mk3 guise) . Barrington has a tweaked BB mk1 which stood its ground against my Tron Seven MFA SUT combo at a BO last year. Depending on your Budget there is a new PS coming to market that has been doing the rounds at BOs here and getting great reviews from all who hear it @Jessica_k

Edited by Lurch

Super Wammer

Hi Lurch,

My main objective is to reduce box count, but having no luck with obtaining a remote controlled preamp with MC input that will equal or best what I have.

Budget... £1100-1200 less if possible :)

I'll checkout the Big Bottle option, Diy skills are not an issue,

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I know it's not the best looker in it's range, but the P10 is actually a very, very capable phono stage. One alternative you might consider is to keep it, but partner it with a serious upgrade in terms of the SUT. Yes, I know you want to drop the box count if possible, so basically my suggestion ticks none of the boxes (:D), however, this route would give you a very good foundation even if you change the phono stage in future. Plus, very high quality SUTs tend not to drop much in value if you buy right. In this regard, if you're serious about DIY, you could pick up something like a pair of Hashimoto or Silk transformers and build an absolute killer SUT. Though it takes some care with shielding to keep them quiet, they are worth the effort.

Edited by rabski

2 hours ago, Stormin'Norman said:

Hi Lurch,

My main objective is to reduce box count, but having no luck with obtaining a remote controlled preamp with MC input that will equal or best what I have.

Thanks

I’ve recently replaced my P10 with an EAT E-Glo Petit because I wanted more gain and more flexibility. It’s 50 pounds over your budget. The Petit still got valves although it is a hybrid with a J-FET input stage. I very pleased with it, and it sounds better than the P10 in my system, although that may be because the P10 just wouldn’t go loud enough.

A few years back I ran an ATOC7 into a Cambridge 640P phono stage and the sound was fabulous then I stupidly sold it and bought a Schiit Mani which was hopeless with a moving coil because of it’s ridiculously low input impedance. Although I sold the deck along with the ATOC7 I now have a Rega P3 with an ATF7 cartridge and I have a Cambridge CP2 phono stage and I find the combination excellent, I briefly borrowed a Rega Phono MC to audition and have to say it did marginally upstage the CP2 but at double the price which I couldn’t run to
The Rega is very versatile having adjustable gain and impedance loadings, I intend to eventually get one when funds allow.
The CP2 is excellent for the money but now discontinued, its replacement the Cambridge Duo now has a built in headphone amp but is much more expensive (£249), for the same money I’d take the Rega.

http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/hfc-426-rega-mc-reprint-low.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stormin'Norman said:

Hi Lurch,

Thanks

Ollie Bigman80 on here & PFM (spends more time on PFM) is behind the BB development so give him a shout for info & options. I believe the BB works out @ roughly £700 for parts etc. 

Edited by Lurch

Super Wammer

All good stuff Guys (& Girls), I'm going to end up with too many options .
Certainly a couple of ideas there that appeal, will research/ follow up.
Resigned to keeping lots of boxes
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I went from a p10/t10 to an EAR 834P. Pity the prices are so ridiculous used now. Seen the standard black models go for over £750 whereas a few years back they were under £500 all day 

Time for a phono stage bake off

Edited by kernow

Super Wammer

Any one experience of The Vinyl Source SUT, I'm being offered £500 down from £550 new

Thanks

Over budget,  but new LongDog hybrid stage is fantastic,  neutral balance which engages.  A bit more detail and PRAT Trilogy 907 can be had around budget 2nd hand.

I'm not entirely a SUT believer,  we see many stories over the years looking for matching SUT is like bobbing for apples.  It takes an element of luck and experimentation to get things singing.

A phono stage bake-off would be a good thing to do.

• Like 1

Not sure if you may of heard of the British audio company NJC Audio who do a complete series of hand built hifi products, MM phono stage, matching SUT, preamp, DAC and headphone amp.

A friend of mine Phil Bishop (see PFM thread) has had everything they make barring the preamp for several years now, in fact he has 2 of the phono stages. More recently he went to MC and bought the matching SUT. Buying these products stopped him being a serial upgrader. He says of all the Hifi companies he’s had dealings with they are by far the best and their customer service is exemplary and the product quality and sound are superb.

http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/phonopreamp.html

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/njc-audio-phono-stage-review.166187/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Valab phono stage is even an LCR network.

8 hours ago, Stormin'Norman said:

Any one experience of The Vinyl Source SUT, I'm being offered £500 down from £550 new

Thanks

Good, but too expensive really. They use Sowter transformers. They're good, but not spectacularly so. Sowter 1480s are the best they do and are about £220 a pair, though the pictures on the Vinyl Source site look like the cheaper ones, which are about £170 a pair.

Super Wammer
Good, but too expensive really. They use Sowter transformers. They're good, but not spectacularly so. Sowter 1480s are the best they do and are about £220 a pair, though the pictures on the Vinyl Source site look like the cheaper ones, which are about £170 a pair.
Good to have that info, I'll move on to a couple other options that have been suggested

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk