VanZapp

Looking for quality stand mount speakers

Super Dealer
5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Apart from any significant dips/nulls in the response caused by speaker and listening position placement.

I fear this thread is drifting somewhat from what the OP had in mind though folks.

The brain is pretty good at ‘filling in’ cancellations, but bass peaks cannot be overlooked.

You can reduce cancellations with multiple subs, sink source sub arrangements  or extensive acoustic treatment but unsurprisingly most domestic listeners aren’t prepared to go to those lengths.

Keith

2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

The brain is pretty good at ‘filling in’ cancellations, but bass peaks cannot be overlooked.

You can reduce cancellations with multiple subs, sink source sub arrangements  or extensive acoustic treatment but unsurprisingly most domestic listeners aren’t prepared to go to those lengths.

To some degree but it is a fundamentally incorrect to suggest that the use of EQ negates the need/benefit of optimising speaker and listening position. As is implying that the only way to solve null issues is to start employing multiple subs or huge bass traps.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

To some degree but it is a fundamentally incorrect to suggest that the use of EQ negates the need/benefit of optimising speaker and listening position. As is implying that the only way to solve null issues is to start employing multiple subs or huge bass traps.

Agreed.

Having to go to all those measures to fix a problem simply complicates the original problem. They are the wrong speakers for the room. This is where reviews are worse than useless.

19 minutes ago, dari said:

Every audio show I go and the AN speakers are in the corners and boom as hell while the mids are buried ( nasal voices, lazy and slow snare drum.. only Vincent Belanger cello sounds good)... always full room and people seems to enjoy it. 

I don't get it either. Sticking with AudioNote specifically, I've had J's sounding magical in here. But they were pulled away from corners and rear walls. They really can sound very good indeed.

E's on the other hand, as in the models shown up page in the video, I could not tame the bass no matter what I did. That sluggish bass makes my own listening experience unpleasant.

Just goes to show that people want very different things from their hifi.

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Loudspeakers ‘should’ be placed close ( within 50/60 cm )o the rear wall to eradicate cancellations, wherever you sit in the room you will be in a cancellation at a particular frequency/frequencies,  the only way to eradicate nulls is with massive passive treatment ( as in studios) or with multiple subs/sink source and cancellations aren’t as deleterious as bass peaks.

Often domestic users have very few options to place speakers or in listening position.

Keith

Edited by PuritéAudio

Here's a good piece about Speaker-Boundary Interference:

Speaker Placement and Reflections from Nearby Walls

Is Speaker-Boundary Interference Killing Your Bass?

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/

1 hour ago, tuga said:

Reviewers should not assess peformance from the biased perspective of their own taste. That is very wrong.

I think you need a few 'In My Opinion..' qualifiers in what you say.

I very much value Art Dudley's viewpoint, or what you call 'biased perspective'. I enjoy his articles - I would say they are more than just reviews. His articles often tell stories, he is a keen musician and talks about about how the Hi Fi equipment affects his perception of musical performances, or he will talk about his vintage turntable restorations. I would love to own the sort of equipment he reviews but Shindo amps are a bit above my budget, but that doesn't stop it being fun to read about.

8 minutes ago, rdale said:

I very much value Art Dudley's viewpoint, or what you call 'biased perspective'. I enjoy his articles - I would say they are more than just reviews. His articles often tell stories, he is a keen musician and talks about about how the Hi Fi equipment affects his perception of musical performances, or he will talk about his vintage turntable restorations. I would love to own the sort of equipment he reviews but Shindo amps are a bit above my budget, but that doesn't stop it being fun to read about. IMO

FTFY:D

• Haha 1

How about a pair of Paul Coupe's Reference Fidelity Component Raptors? Many people know Paul for his Tannoy external Xovers and his speaker refurbishment, but he also makes some damn fine speakers too. The Raptors are just above your budget, but a similar speaker from a mainstream manufacturer would cost significantly more than these.

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/loudspeakers/reference-raptor-loudspeakers/

https://www.dagogo.com/reference-fidelity-components-raptor-speakers-review/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rdale said:

I very much value Art Dudley's viewpoint, or what you call 'biased perspective'. I enjoy his articles - I would say they are more than just reviews. His articles often tell stories, he is a keen musician and talks about about how the Hi Fi equipment affects his perception of musical performances, or he will talk about his vintage turntable restorations. I would love to own the sort of equipment he reviews but Shindo amps are a bit above my budget, but that doesn't stop it being fun to read about.

I understand your point of view but reviews for entertainment purposes is another story.

I have fun reading other stuff, but that is probably because I don't care about that side of audiophilia. For me the system's only goal is to reproduce the recording, a bit like having a race car and wanting to extract the fastest lap it can possibly give. But I understand that people practice audio for a multitude of reasons.

28 minutes ago, rdale said:

I would love to own the sort of equipment he reviews but Shindo amps are a bit above my budget, but that doesn't stop it being fun to read about.

I think they are not for sale here as they still use lead in their solder. Have to use another company's SET....^_^

5 minutes ago, George 47 said:

I think they are not for sale here as they still use lead in their solder. Have to use another company's SET....^_^

Ah OK, I didn't know that. To be honest, I love the sound of my el cheapo single ended EL84 based Glow amp I'm listening to now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, topoxforddoc said:

How about a pair of Paul Coupe's Reference Fidelity Component Raptors? Many people know Paul for his Tannoy external Xovers and his speaker refurbishment, but he also makes some damn fine speakers too. The Raptors are just above your budget, but a similar speaker from a mainstream manufacturer would cost significantly more than these.

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/loudspeakers/reference-raptor-loudspeakers/

https://www.dagogo.com/reference-fidelity-components-raptor-speakers-review/

great suggestion , i have his external crossovers on my taus which he transformed 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Indeed, first find the best sounding position for a pair of speakers, which will vary according to their type, and then worry about room treatment or DSP. In practice that may mean compromising on the best loudspeaker position. By best position I mean that which makes music sound most lifelike which isn’t necessarily what the measurements, or indeed measurists might suggest! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rdale said:

Ah OK, I didn't know that. To be honest, I love the sound of my el cheapo single ended EL84 based Glow amp I'm listening to now.

The sound of the piano on valve equipment is wonderful..