VanZapp

Looking for quality stand mount speakers

Recommended Posts

I recently sold my 804S floor standers (physically a bit big for the room) and want to get some decent stand mounts to replace them.  I'm hoping to get a more agile presentation without sacrificing too much impact and bass.....asking a lot!  I've auditioned some Dynaudio Special 40's, they sounded great.  But my listening experience of stand mounts is fairly limited, so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions.

I have a small list of speakers that (on paper) look promising.  If anyone here has some insight on any of these that would be great. Max budget about £2.5K

Proac D2 or D2R

Kef R3

Monitor Audio Gold 100 5th gen

They will be driven with a Naim Supernait2 and HiCap DR.

Edited by VanZapp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Hi Vanzapp

surely the footprint of the stands mount speakers will be the same as your floorstanders including stands? What is it the ‘agile’ you are looking for that the 804’s lacked? More so, what presentation are you looking for from your option to go standmount?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The D2 is a nice speaker. Sweet top end. Good mid. Good bass.

Its different from the Special 40. Just apples and oranges. If you want a slightly more modern sound, the Special Forty may just fit the bill.

I like my D2, it’s a great all round speaker. Got that ProAc sound. The sweet airy highs.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Hi Vanzapp

surely the footprint of the stands mount speakers will be the same as your floorstanders including stands? What is it the ‘agile’ you are looking for that the 804’s lacked? More so, what presentation are you looking for from your option to go standmount?

The footprint may be the same or similar but visualy a bit less 'obvious'.  When I say agile I gues I'm refering to speed.  I like detail but with punch and authority.  I don't know if this is acheivable with a stand mount which id why I'm asking the question   :)

5 minutes ago, tIANcI said:

The D2 is a nice speaker. Sweet top end. Good mid. Good bass.

Its different from the Special 40. Just apples and oranges. If you want a slightly more modern sound, the Special Forty may just fit the bill.

I like my D2, it’s a great all round speaker. Got that ProAc sound. The sweet airy highs.

I don't think I've ever listened to Proac's.  What is the 'Proac' sound?  Thanks for the input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, VanZapp said:

The footprint may be the same or similar but visualy a bit less 'obvious'.  When I say agile I gues I'm refering to speed.  I like detail but with punch and authority.  I don't know if this is acheivable with a stand mount which id why I'm asking the question   :)

There is another thread on here asking the same question regarding the Supernait3

the difference is minimal bar a phonostage built in to the 3 over yours. Have a read of that. Stand mounted speakers will give you what your looking for because the cabinet is smaller so will give a greater dynamic sound. The art is to give a decent solid bass line which can be achieved but the bigger the cabinet volume, the better the lows will be hence my favour to Harbeths. Conventional in looks but if it’s a full sound spectrum your looking for, they are hard to beat but my wants sound different to yours. The supernait is a pretty decent amp with plenty of current delivery so not short of choice. You need to keep Dynaudio to your list too.

As I have always said, the speaker is the most critical item in a demo so the acoustics in a dem room will be completely different to your home so home dem is a must

Edited by radiant red
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VanZapp said:

  What is the 'Proac' sound?  Thanks for the input.

The highs are airy, sweet and smooth. Mids are clear, very mildly recessed only. Bass is taut and defined but won’t hit as hard as say an ATC.

It kinda has that smile sound signature.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, VanZapp said:

I recently sold my 804S floor standers (physically a bit big for the room) and want to get some decent stand mounts to replace them.  I'm hoping to get a more agile presentation without sacrificing too much impact and bass.....asking a lot!  I've auditioned some Dynaudio Special 40's, they sounded great.  But my listening experience of stand mounts is fairly limited, so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions.

I have a small list of speakers that (on paper) look promising.  If anyone here has some insight on any of these that would be great. Max budget about £2.5K

Proac D2 or D2R

Kef R3

Monitor Audio Gold 100 5th gen

They will be driven with a Naim Supernait2 and HiCap DR.

Go second hand - more bang for your buck    How about these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonus-Faber-Electa-Amator-2-with-Sonus-Faber-fully-adjustable-dedicated-stands/193086200819?hash=item2cf4d59bf3:g:RbQAAOSw409dcSTX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MC-MUSIC-CULTURE-AWARD-WINNING-MC-RL21-Hi-Fi-SPEAKERS-STANDS-RRP-4-995/333424966362?hash=item4da1ad3ada:g:4WcAAOSwbJlddDRQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATC-SCM19/123964616284?hash=item1cdcddee5c:g:MQ8AAOSwZL5dwXZw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harbeth-HL-Compact-C7ES3-Cherry/254464557723?hash=item3b3f45029b:g:~AwAAOSw3nNeBdAc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-TB2A-Active-monitors-Speakers-loudspeakers-studio-XLR-Pair/264575092620?hash=item3d99e7878c:g:Q~QAAOSwRK9bzNWI

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONUS-FABER-MINIMA-AMATOR-SPEAKERS-BOXED-AUTHORISED-DEALER/153466475534?hash=item23bb50940e:g:9hoAAOSwTkFcc8MC

and many many more - If you can find a pair of Radford Tristars they are probably the finest bookshelf speaker IMO - have real bass (sealed box with a 12 inch bass driver) - I know many owners who will not part with them even if they rarely use them now 

The choices are many - your ears are the referee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps these in the classifieds are worth consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Focal 1008BE is one of the best standmounts I’ve had in my system.I had to down size due to my small room or I’d keep these stunning speakers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, radiant red said:

There is another thread on here asking the same question regarding the Supernait3

the difference is minimal bar a phonostage built in to the 3 over yours. Have a read of that. Stand mounted speakers will give you what your looking for because the cabinet is smaller so will give a greater dynamic sound. The art is to give a decent solid bass line which can be achieved but the bigger the cabinet volume, the better the lows will be hence my favour to Harbeths. Conventional in looks but if it’s a full sound spectrum your looking for, they are hard to beat but my wants sound different to yours. The supernait is a pretty decent amp with plenty of current delivery so not short of choice. You need to keep Dynaudio to your list too.

As I have always said, the speaker is the most critical item in a demo so the acoustics in a dem room will be completely different to your home so home dem is a must

What he said.      (Some of the best sounds I have heard have come from stand mounts, but you must have the correct stands ££££.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I like detail but with punch and authority.

as mentioned the focal 1008be would be superb .demo`ed this after selling my 804s and it was more detailed and sounded pretty good 

not quite sure how they would sound with the sn2 though , might be a bit forward ??? 

of course the special 40 are pretty good ...and you know what i think about them with the sn2 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VanZapp said:

I recently sold my 804S floor standers (physically a bit big for the room) and want to get some decent stand mounts to replace them.  I'm hoping to get a more agile presentation without sacrificing too much impact and bass.....asking a lot! 

That perceived"slowness" is often caused by room issues when using speakers that extend more into the subsonics.

Moving to smaller speakers may or may not solve your problems.

Ideally you should measure the room response but if you can't then at least make sure you listen to any potential new speakers in your room.

.

Amplifiers with a high output impedance (many valve models) can also produce a "bloated", "fuzzy" bass.

I'd that's the case of your amplifier then a different amplifier might be the wisest option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.