Mad4it

Fuse direction

All this talk has prompted me to go and check DIYAudio.  Some of the great and the good of audio electronic engineering hang out on there and will jump in if they perceive nonsense so it's a good reference.  I found a couple of threads:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/208923-fuses-affect-sound-quality.html
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/319827-audio-fuse-stupidness.html

It also occurs that I built my own preamp and used a normal cheap fuse.  THD+N plot is here:
pre-thdnf.thumb.png.e9f504946f889bf73cfe50e0a7cbb36e.png

A slightly different application I know.

The only vital thing is that you replace any fuse with exactly the same type, as stated in the manufacturer's details. That means the exact same rating, and slow-blow or fast-blow if required.

It's your money and your system, so if you want to experiment, feel free.

If you ask for opinions, however, then people will give them. Mine would simply be that any directional effect for a fuse in an AC circuit is simply impossible unless you completely re-write the laws of physics, so I would accordingly be somewhat sceptical about anything else that is claimed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Mad4it said:

It is sometimes hard to separate the BS from actual and much is highly subjective in this game. I love my Boenicke speakers and when the designer of a brand you love suggests swapping out the fuse that comes with the amp for a better one, I'm willing to consider it.

Absolutely. I hope I don't need to say this but I trust it was clear any criticism from me in this thread was firmly directed at the website and product not yourself, and I only expressed things more strongly in response to those challenging me on dismissing something I haven't heard. 

It often feels like all those on the more sceptical 'wing' of this forum get grouped together as if there is a single view/approach when there is not. It is extremely rare for me to be as clear in dismissing a product as I have been in this thread. The linear PSU thread for example I have read with interest. 

• Upvote 4

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Which silver and gold fuses you’ve tried if you don't mind me asking? 

I tried AMR Gold plated, HiFiTuning Supreme, Bussman 3amp Gold over silver plate, 3amp fuses in the speaker protection fuses for the loudspeakers in the back of the amp.  I never got to solid gold ones and I just could not be bothered to try it in a mains plug (did a load of trials with all sorts of mains cables though) so forgive me.   The speaker fuses are easy though being a quick bayonet connection in the back of the amp and n comparison with bog standard maplin fuses and I oould not hear any difference .. but if it floats your boat great .. just don't ask me for an opinion  :D

Edited by uzzy
  • Upvote 2

Super Dealer
33 minutes ago, Mad4it said:

Great contribution to the thread.

Double Wow :)

It is such a ridiculous suggestion, I am shocked a loudspeaker manufacturer would propose it.

Keith

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

Absolutely. I hope I don't need to say this but I trust it was clear any criticism from me in this thread was firmly directed at the website and product not yourself, and I only expressed things more strongly in response to those challenging me on dismissing something I haven't heard. 

It often feels like all those on the more sceptical 'wing' of this forum get grouped together as if there is a single view/approach when there is not. It is extremely rare for me to be as clear in dismissing a product as I have been in this thread. The linear PSU thread for example I have read with interest. 

No not at all. But should we dismiss a brand just for exercising a bit of creative license? Don't countless brands we use on a daily basis? I am willing to be a bit more forgiving...how do you make your fuse stand out next to the many others out there....you use bright colours, make it sound super exciting.  

There's a difference between talking up the benefits of a product and inventing benefits that it cannot possibly have. You're attempting to justify the unjustifiable. 

If you really, honestly, believe that changing a fuse can change the way an audio system sounds, then fill your boots - after all, it is your money.

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

There's a difference between talking up the benefits of a product and inventing benefits that it cannot possibly have. You're attempting to justify the unjustifiable. 

If you really, honestly, believe that changing a fuse can change the way an audio system sounds, then fill your boots - after all, it is your money.

I keep a collection of genuine ‘Bussmann’ ceramic cartridge fuses in 3A, 5A and 13A ratings, bought from a trusted supplier.

In the same way that I always use MK 646WHI and MK 646CHA Safety Plugs, it’s not for audio quality reasons but because I hate flimsy plugs and the possibility of getting counterfeit fuses. (I also just LOVE the traditional MK 646 plug.)

What we REALLY need to worry about ...

https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/fake-fuses.php

Edited by chebby
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mad4it said:

No not at all. But should we dismiss a brand just for exercising a bit of creative license? Don't countless brands we use on a daily basis? I am willing to be a bit more forgiving...how do you make your fuse stand out next to the many others out there....you use bright colours, make it sound super exciting.  

For me there's a difference between marketing spin and just making stuff up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

For me there's a difference between marketing spin and just making stuff up.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Mad4it said:

In my book, there is a significant difference between a bit of creative license and some of the utter rubbish in some marketing material. Even Star Trek plot lines have more basis in scientific fact.

Describing potential sonic benefits in vague terms is one thing. What I find unacceptable is instances where things are downright lies, with absurd claims that not only cannot be backed up, but are based on science that is either completely irrelevant or has no possible link to the claims that are being made.

In the instance that is the subject of this thread, I would very much care to know and understand the business relationship between the speaker manufacturer in question, who seem quite well regarded, and the company marketing products that I have more than a few 'issues' with. I have not been specific here for obvious reasons, and please bear in mind the potential legal position when replying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

A couple of years back I changed two internal fuses in each of my power amps for Synergistic Research black. Nothing else was changed including the volume setting, but when turned back on it was too loud to listen to. 

Since then I have regularly changed mains plug fuses for SR versions and the difference in volume now is so great that attenuation is needed because the volume control can hardly be moved from the bottom value before it is too loud.

Was there an improvement in sound quality? Of course there was, and that is the thing which (almost) justifies the cost.

1 hour ago, chebby said:

I keep a collection of genuine ‘Bussmann’ ceramic cartridge fuses in 3A, 5A and 13A ratings, bought from a trusted supplier.

In the same way that I always use MK 646WHI and MK 646CHA Safety Plugs, it’s not for audio quality reasons but because I hate flimsy plugs and the possibility of getting counterfeit fuses. (I also just LOVE the traditional MK 646 plug.)

What we REALLY need to worry about ...

https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/fake-fuses.php

thanks for the link, good read.. nothing exploded in my house ever so could be an indicator all the fuses are genuine