Mad4it

Fuse direction

49 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Enjoy :D. I've only come across their blended whisky...

48efbf81a45b144e40ff1ac0a3df9978.jpg

I have actually genuinely heard of people using high energy X-rays to 'age' wine and apparently improve the flavour. I'm sure drinking it could improve musical enjoyment too :).

It only works if the X Ray Tube used is NOS... 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Nah - you grind it under the heel of your shoe. If it makes a loud pop and disappears, then it was a quantum fuse... :whistle:

THAT’S where all the crushed fuses on my living room floor are coming from! (And the occasional dead cat.)

Please desist.

Edited by chebby
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

It only works if the X Ray Tube used is NOS... 😜

As it happens I know of it being done using a digital linear accelerator rather than a tube being involved :D. (And I genuinely didn't just make that up to match my hifi predilections!)

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

As it happens I know of it being done using a digital linear accelerator rather than a tube being involved :D. (And I genuinely didn't just make that up to match my hifi predilections!)

That's where they're going wrong; use a proper 'Tube! 😂😂😂Actually, that is a very interesting subject. How did they find out how to do that? 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

Has anyone actually tried these fuses than those who haven't and making negative criticism?

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

That's where they're going wrong; use a proper 'Tube!

You can get much more Powah! by not using tubes ;).

(Well, they do use thyratrons which are actually much more like hifi tubes than X-ray tubes but let's ignore that :).)

23 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Has anyone actually tried these fuses than those who haven't and making negative criticism?

I have not. But honestly the stuff written on that website is pseudo-scientific nonsense. The directionality comment is patently rubbish as I explained above. This sentence is also fairly special:

Today physicists understand electrons don’t flow at all but rather propagate in a wave of energy that moves along a conductor with a multitude of factors that alters this wave at the quantum level.

This sort of statement makes physicists cringe like someone scratching fingernails down a chalkboard. Well it does me anyway!

These fuses really do fall into the 'don't be so open minded that you brain falls out' category. And on a serious note, there is also a potential safety risk of people not fitting the right type of fuse.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

And on a serious note, there is also a potential safety risk of people not fitting the right type of fuse.

This.

4 hours ago, Mad4it said:

Hi Folks, I was thinking of trying a fuse from this lot - https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/orange-fuse/

I have a Mark Levinson 5805 integrated amp and these are directional. Any way I know for sure I've got it the right orientation? I really don't want to have to try it one way...plug all cables in and listen, then remove all cables, flip the other way and try to determine if it sounds better. Is there no way to determine without that hassle?

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully there have been enough posts to persuade you not to encourage this company.

However, back to your original question, I can't see there would be much hassle involved.

According to a FAQ in that link, you'll hear more detail with the fuse fitted in the correct direction. It's hard to decide what's more ludicrous, making that statement or expecting people to believe it. Still, some people believe in Astrology, they're the type that would (think they) hear a difference (especially after having spent so much money).

The company also state that their fuses have a 'burn in' period, sounding best after 200-300 hours. 

The only requirement for a fuse is a rapid burnout period in the unlikely event of an over-current situation.

(If it blows during the first 30 days, send it back for the refund, tell them it burned out while it was burning in).

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Mad4it said:

maybe I should just leave all alone!

there ya go - you answered your own question.

One of my friends, who has the best sounding system I've heard.. has replaced all his stock fuses with synergistic research  blue. And claims to have made him very happy. Wait till i tell him about directional fuses in the morning :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Iceman 16 said:

Any regular here could tell what the nature of responses would be due to title. Also I never criticise anything except I try it for myself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nativebon said:

Any regular here could tell what the nature of responses would be due to title. Also I never criticise anything except I try it for myself. 

Would you feel equipped to advise someone not to jump off a cliff without trying it yourself? 

Fuses like this are in a totally different league to cable debates. The absolute rubbish on the website makes this clear.

p.s. please note that my first post in this thread directly answered the OP's question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

One of my friends, who has the best sounding system I've heard.. has replaced all his stock fuses with synergistic research  blue. And claims to have made him very happy. Wait till i tell him about directional fuses in the morning :D

So, I contacted a local dealer on this subject (an ex Electrical engineer) he said IF...IF they do burning in, then perhaps that's why they say directional....and even if you put it in the other way, the current flowing only takes 50 odd hours and it reverses....so in other words they are NOT directional. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nativebon said:

Agree. I was skeptic until I tried a few and I have a feeling where this thread is going to. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1