Mad4it

Fuse direction

1 hour ago, gasolin said:

Not so much about fuse direction but more that it works for this guy, hell if it's only 5 dollars im trying one :)  in my amp (strange he didn't bought something more expensive) 

"It's not snake oil" he said :D

• Haha 1

I guess he has a system that can reveal if there is any diffrence, i just wonder how it made a difference with a 5 dollar ceramic and not a 30-40 dollar fuse like this https://www.analogueseduction.net/fuses/hi-fi-tuning-supreme-fuses-5-x-20mm-t.html and if a 5 dollar ceramic fuse made a difference why a company like McIntosh didn't use a 5 dollar ceramic fuse.

I guess some has a high end system to hear all the details, every little tweak and some hear a difference, until i try it my self i won't know if it makes a diffrence (not shure my system is good enough to reveal a difference like that or even when i change direction of the fuse or turn the power mains 180 degree but for 5 dollars i would try it, certainly cheaper than trying new speaker cable or interconnects)

Fun stuff about hifi is also trying new tweaks,amp,speakers,cable, you name it and discover new music, just by watching youtube video i almost discover new music every month i add to tidal hifi.

Edited by gasolin

Super Wammer

If you must try it, make sure you replace the fuses like for like ie fast blow, anti surge ect.

• Upvote 2

why not, if it makes a difference for 5 dollars, i know they work (why shouldn't they)

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, gasolin said:

why not, if it makes a difference for 5 dollars, i know they work (why shouldn't they)

I did not say don't try it, as I know many will, just to make sure you change like for like, so as they do the job they are intended for, to protect your equipment.

Edited by greybeard

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It didn't.

you won't know if it makes a difference for you unless you try it for yourself on a higher end system like the one in the video

Edited by gasolin

Super Wammer

Sometimes I find it quite bizarre that with everything going off in the world we have over 250 additions to this original thread..

A fuse is just a fuse..there are many different sorts to be sure...but they can only be used in 2 directions  that's 2....

Unless you hop into a multiverse 

If you think reversing them will make a difference then just try it..

It's not rocket science..

Sometimes we need to take stock of the real issues and get a grip..

Kindest regards Julian 

• Like 1

I can think of much more productive use of my time. Making cable lifters, for example...:rofl:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, gasolin said:

you won't know if it makes a difference for you unless you try it for yourself on a higher end system like the one in the video

You really need to consider how significant cognitive bias is when it comes to 'sighted' comparisons. You, me, or anyone else doing such a test on the most outstanding system on the planet would prove nothing.

As I posted right at the start of this thread, the mains voltage supply is AC. This alone is enough to demonstrate that which way round a fuse goes can't make a difference. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, bigrod said:

A fuse is just a fuse..there are many different sorts to be sure...but they can only be used in 2 directions  that's 2....

Actually, there's only one. Mains power is AC.

As to trying different types of fuses, if that's how someone wants to spend their time, who am I to judge. That said, I must strongly advise against using any of the exotic fuses that lack proper certification. Some are even filled with flammable materials, the madness of which is staggering.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Actually, there's only one. Mains power is AC.

As to trying different types of fuses, if that's how someone wants to spend their time, who am I to judge. That said, I must strongly advise against using any of the exotic fuses that lack proper certification. Some are even filled with flammable materials, the madness of which is staggering.

Recommend some !

Just now, gasolin said:

Recommend some !

I recommend whatever fuse the manufacturer selected.

• Upvote 1

Let's say it is somehow possible that the fuse can effect the electricity flowing through it, what happens to it next? 

It goes into your amp (or other equipment) where it is converted from AC to DC and the voltage dropped before it gets anywhere near anything that produces sound. 

That being the case how can anything upstream of the transformer possibly have any effect on sound? 

• Upvote 2