PhotoMax

Akurate sound nirvana via Exakt Katalyst...

17 hours ago, zee9 said:

Max,

Have you tried the mdsm/3 as exakt source? As per linn it should be same as the akurate hub as the katalyst is in the exaktbox. I wonder if that can be returned for funds towards the cabins system.

Here's a quote from CaptenBonScott on another topic in this forum: 

"I have started upp my Akurate Exact Dsm now. That there would be no audible difference between Mdsm and Aedsm? It is something that I do not agree with, I love the calm that arises, and the extra clarity that is in the upper register. It has become a little easier to separate the instruments from each other as well, wider soundscape, im pleased anyway :)"

• Like 1

I heard enough of a difference between the ADSM and the KEDSM in my Exakt system to upgrade from the former to the latter. I see no reason why there should not also be a difference between the MDSM and the AEDSM.

David

I seem to have fallen way deeper into this plunging rabbit hole than I thought!

Some of you might have been following my rambling on how upgrading my Linn system here in Seattle will ripple into my kit on our Orcas Island cabin property. Now that I have the new Akurate/Exaktbox/Katalyst system I will be transporting my existing Majik DSM to the island. The plan was to move that into place and remove the SONOS Port and old Rega DAC from the system. I was then going to test the Majik DSM amp against the Rega Elex-R amp.

But I now am adding two major pieces of kit: a Pass Labs XP-20 line level preamp with external power supply and a Bryston 4B SST2 amplifier. Buying used and picking them up tomorrow...

Edited by PhotoMax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

I seem to have fallen way deeper into this plunging rabbit hole than I thought!

Some of you might have been following my rambling on how upgrading my Linn system here in Seattle will ripple into my kit on our Orcas Island cabin property. Now that I have the new Akurate/Exaktbox/Katalyst system I will be transporting my existing Majik DSM to the island. The plan was to move that into place and remove the SONOS Port and old Rega DAC from the system. I was then going to test the Majik DSM amp against the Rega Elex-R amp.

But I now am adding two major pieces of kit: a Pass Labs XP-20 line level preamp with external power supply and a Bryston 4B SST2 amplifier. Buying used and picking them up tomorrow...

Good choices Max.

Should give you some fine music

Thanks Paul,

It will be interesting to see how these three extra boxes are going to fit into the triangular wedge shaped corner cabinet that I built? I might have to place the power supply on the floor or maybe even need to build another little side shelf? I will know once I start messing with this on Tuesday. Heading up there on Monday afternoon. It is raining like crazy here. The classic “Pineapple Express” rain that goes on for days. We live on an extreme slope so this kind of rain creates an uncomfortable anxiety...

30 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

Thanks Paul,

It will be interesting to see how these three extra boxes are going to fit into the triangular wedge shaped corner cabinet that I built? I might have to place the power supply on the floor or maybe even need to build another little side shelf? I will know once I start messing with this on Tuesday. Heading up there on Monday afternoon. It is raining like crazy here. The classic “Pineapple Express” rain that goes on for days. We live on an extreme slope so this kind of rain creates an uncomfortable anxiety...

The forecast looks good for Monday. Finally, we may see the sun.

^^ Just realized you live in Point Roberts! One of the most unique locales in the entire land space called the USA! Never been there but that is a tiny chunk of interesting geo landscape.

Let me know if you ever make it out to Orcas...

Max

16 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

^^ Just realized you live in Point Roberts! One of the most unique locales in the entire land space called the USA! Never been there but that is a tiny chunk of interesting geo landscape.

Let me know if you ever make it out to Orcas...

Max

It sure is interesting. I found it on a map and moved here from Austin, Texas when I retired from the University of Texas. That was three years ago. I can see Orcas quite well from Point Roberts. Perhaps I could make it out there next summer.

MIchael

Edited by akamatsu

Please do! I hope to spend a lot of time on Island this summer. I enjoy taxing activities like hiking, drinking wine, listening to music, cooking and kayaking...

• Like 1