HoopsOnToast

Michell owners club

Super Wammer
On 31/12/2019 at 18:11, lostwin said:

Happy New Year to all Michell owners out there - and anyone else just passing through this part of the forum.

It has been 12 months since I fitted Pete’s pylon upgrades which, as I am sure most of you know, transform the Gyro. About a week ago I heard another system with a Gyro front end plus SME arm. This had the Solid Air string based pylons and the maglev feet. It was like going back in time as I immediately noticed the rough metallic texture to the treble that was familiar from the spring based suspension. The message is clear, accept no substitutes!

Feel like I am at a bit of a crossroads as the decade clicks over. I am starting to eye different TT’s to make the next leap forwards whilst also looking at Pete’s new mods for arm board and platter and considering arm upgrade for my Gyro. 

I am fairly sure that this time next year I will have gone one direction or the other, can’t wait to find out - roll on 2020!

The pylons are sold as a kit with the bearings by Truepoint , so no need to look around to upgrade that part of the deck any further with mag lev feet , they work stright out of the box, if you do not want to use the bearings just ask truepoint not to put them in and the price should be reduced , if not contact me and i will have a word, i dont supply or make them now, but will help if needed,

The problems have been with the position of the suspension posts , are normaly out , i had  an orbe in canada that had one post leaning out of perpendicular to get around that he simply removed the bush , which is there to help stop wow , removeing one bush does not effect the performance , the platter above is just some thing i have wanted to try , after all michell make one in black ,with a wacking great big hole in the center , the one i had made the main bearing is a slide fit into the bottom of the platter , which has made the platter 4.4 kg , orbe i think  is about  4.7 , so not far off the same weight , as the orbe platter , The platter has just been sent back to truepoint to have 6 holes done in the base so i can screw the weights into it off my gyro platter to give it more mass, all i can say is that the platter wow did not move on the tachometer i have , although it is a cheap one from ebay , it stayed on 33.3, rpm through out the time the platter was fitted over christmas, i dont have any way of measuring the wow , but had an email saying with the kit fitted on a orbe in the usa , it was about .01 , which i cannot confirm , the platter seems to keep the wow stable, but i only  have my ears, as proof , i am always trying to improve what has been done, the mad scientist who owns a gyro , the problem with the cost is they are all one offs , Michell make a lot of platters in one go and arm boards,  it takes trueppoint a day to make a platter done on Center lathe by hand,  it would be different if he could make 20 in a CNC, no large quantities means higher labour costs aded to the final price , which i am still waiting on , material of 50 mm acrylic is £90 , -£100, with out any machine shop costs, The same for the armboards depending on which board is wanted,  so yes they are expensive it is something i have nothing to do with , i just think these things up ,draw them out and let truepoint make them and sell them if they work to keep my mad scientist costs down

atb

pete

• Like 1

Peter - the platter does look good ang glad you can hear an improvement.

I noticed an improvement with mine for no cost :) - I pulled my hifi rack apart so I could gove everything a good clean then put it back together again with the hifi back where it came from - to my ears it seemed to bring a lot more detail out of the system but could be just kidollogy.....

Super Wammer

it could be just that i am fooling my self after paying for the platter material  , which is back at Truepoint getting the 6 holes put in the under side, to give the platter more mass with the weights off  my gyro platter screwed into it , , it may mean it is totaly useless, i just dont no , and i should get the invoice when it is done, in the mean time i am looking for a used orbe clamp ,the cost of this is getting out of hand , TruePoint are not cheap ,

i noticed The Michell web site says something BIG is Coming ,and all the information has been removed, i hope it is a new deck or the gyro totaly revamped,

pete

P1020705.JPG

Edited by gwernaffield

2 hours ago, gwernaffield said:

i noticed The Michell web site says something BIG is Coming ,and all the information has been removed, i hope it is a new deck or the gyro totaly revamped

Mmm, it says something ‘really cool’ which for your typical IT geek probably just means a new website I’m afraid 

Super Wammer

well you never know, Michell have been saying there is an upgrade for a year ,with a mk2 cusis on the list , but i fear the prices will kill it off , in my own opinion, what ever it is i suppose it will end up being over priced, i.e BIG price,

22 hours ago, gwernaffield said:

it could be just that i am fooling my self after paying for the platter material  , which is back at Truepoint getting the 6 holes put in the under side, to give the platter more mass with the weights off  my gyro platter screwed into it , , it may mean it is totaly useless, i just dont no , and i should get the invoice when it is done, in the mean time i am looking for a used orbe clamp ,the cost of this is getting out of hand , TruePoint are not cheap ,

i noticed The Michell web site says something BIG is Coming ,and all the information has been removed, i hope it is a new deck or the gyro totaly revamped,

pete

P1020705.JPG

How are the twin belts performing Pete?

Not holding my breath on the 'something BIG is coming.':)

Super Wammer

hi tarzan they are stable , how ever the platter is back in truepoint getting the holes put in , so i can fit the weights , this would mean the platter will be heavier than the orbe , it may be too heavey i i will not know until it is back , having the extra weight of the platter has made the deck more stable for speed with the 2 belts , run it for 3 days and nights , the speed registered was 33.3 , it never changed,  thanks for the double pulley  tarzan , michell web site says something cool is coming , ( lets see ) it was big , but now cool

pete:)

Edited by gwernaffield
  • Like 1

Me Gyrodec lifted to even greater height of aural pleasure with the fitment of an Audionote Arm3v2 and Hana ML sounds flipping good.:testy1:

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Me Gyrodec lifted to even greater height of aural pleasure with the fitment of an Audionote Arm3v2 and Hana ML sounds flipping good.:testy1:

Photos required!

I have read most of this forum and placed an order for Pete's pylons yesterday,(from true point) measured holes size on my Gyro SE (2018ish )

are 33.4 to 33.7 underneath and 28.1 to 28.4 topside.

Using SME 4 with a jo eat no.5 cartridge. With HR Psu on a home made perspex sorberthane footed plinth, done the rubber threaded Arm mod supports (did make a difference )

Looking forward to fitting this latest mod, not sure how the existing ball bearings come out of suspension towers?

Tap on table or use something to remove i assume they have grease on which keeps them in?

I didn't spend any time trying to remove them as I knew the deck was going back together after vernier measurements.

Just received re master of Cowboy junkies trinity sessions,(2 x 180g ) sounds superb, so smooth and atmospheric (recorded in a Church)

Looking forward to seeing what the Pylon's bring to this recording .

thank for all the info thus far and hopefully will visit the wam show this year for 1st time

Simon

Gyro.jpg

• Like 1

You are going to like the Truepoint Pylons.:rockin:

22 hours ago, Simonthepieman said:

I have read most of this forum and placed an order for Pete's pylons yesterday,(from true point) measured holes size on my Gyro SE (2018ish )

are 33.4 to 33.7 underneath and 28.1 to 28.4 topside.

Using SME 4 with a jo eat no.5 cartridge. With HR Psu on a home made perspex sorberthane footed plinth, done the rubber threaded Arm mod supports (did make a difference )

Looking forward to fitting this latest mod, not sure how the existing ball bearings come out of suspension towers?

Tap on table or use something to remove i assume they have grease on which keeps them in?

I didn't spend any time trying to remove them as I knew the deck was going back together after vernier measurements.

Just received re master of Cowboy junkies trinity sessions,(2 x 180g ) sounds superb, so smooth and atmospheric (recorded in a Church)

Looking forward to seeing what the Pylon's bring to this recording .

thank for all the info thus far and hopefully will visit the wam show this year for 1st time

Simon

Gyro.jpg

Good decision on the pylons. You won't mistake the change they make on the texture and depth of tone.  One thing to listen for is the change on snare drums which are both crisper and carry more of the body of the drum sound, this along with the reproduction of piano give the clearest indication on the reduction in flutter from the new pylon design.

The ball bearings in the towers are encased in a smear of grease, a small screwdriver or wooden skewer will loosen this enough to get them out. Worth putting a very light smear of grease on the stub of the suspension tower, these two part towers tend to rattle slightly as the outer case is a little too large for the inner stub, the grease dampens this - not too much though or you will create an air seal and the post won't settle on the ball bearing.

enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simonthepieman said:

Great info Lostwin i understand the grease info,thank you

The kit should be sent out to me next week at some point, I will update after fitting etc

Relatively Marginal gains from  the following but I found worth doing as part of the pylon fitting;

the kit you will receive has sorbothane pads that sit on top of the inner suspension tower stub, new ceramic ball bearing rests on top of this. I wanted to spread the load of the ball bearing on the pad as I thought it would make the Sorbothane more effective (as less compressed). I used a small metal washer with inner diameter less than that of the ball bearing, sat that on top of the pad and this cups the ball.

Of the other mods, I sort of tried the skateboard feet by resting the existing cone feet inside a set of wheels but found this less effective than the SDS discs the deck currently stands on - which work brilliantly. 
I plan next to make an armboard from discs of bamboo and will post pictures as this progresses.

All good fun...!

• Like 1