HoopsOnToast

Michell owners club

Super Wammer

so i went the hole hog and had a acrylic platter made , it has not been finished yet as it still needs the weights inserted into it ,  it worked out cheaper than the orbe upgrade , as it does not have the screw clamp with it , i also wanted it too look like the platter had the weights frozen into it with the belt running on the out side, and not in a drive groove, so now have to wait the final bill ,

pete

IMG_20191212_125607_resized_20191212_125700850.jpg

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Wow 

It should look great 

Looks like an Orbe platter at the moment, somehow 'hollow' for the weights to fit in?

Going to be heavy too I expect, am looking forwards to seeing it.

Edited by huwge

Super Wammer

Hi Huw under the orbe platter there is a great big void, this does not have that , how ever i want it just to be for the gyro, , so i intend in getting the base , drilled for the weights off my gyro platter ,

i have also designed a tripple pully , so you can use  one  45 ,  and  2x 33n3rd  belts , just remove one to do the 45 , how ever i may change it to 2 x45 now , and 2 33n3rd   , i wanted to use a couple of flat belts , but trying to find belts that are 2-3mm wide and the lenght needed seems to warrant a large amout of money , one which i will not do

, i have yet to go and see this for my self , it is waiting in Truepoint for me to look at and see how far he needs to go with the holes for the chrome weights off my gyro platter , i dont no the cost of machining , i supplied the large sheet of acrylic some 50mm x350x350 , at a cost £90 delivered to my house ( eBay find) , But what a christmas prescent , and with the wifes blessing , lol

pete

Edited by gwernaffield
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

hurray its back were it belongs  cheers bazz you are the man :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gwernaffield said:

hurray its back were it belongs  cheers bazz you are the man :D

Agreed, good to get this back here.

The new platters are looking good Pete. I would be interested to know where you - and others that were trying - ended up on the armboard. I think there were several different materials being tried. I was thinking of having a go with a layered bamboo sandwich type thing- I have found drinks coasters of the right size.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

i have just picked this one up , it has yet to be finished with the holes in the base , i wanted to try it for speed, and hear if it needed the weights inserted to keep the gyro look , it still needs to be cleaned, with some soap and water , i have not yet listerned to it, i need to set the soundsmith up , it is a lot heaver than the gyro and i think about the same as a orbe , but only 48mm thick , Tarzan gave me a double pully which i will change over too later on , after i have taken the platter and cleaned all the oil off , i also have a cork mat to go ontop , the gap at the bottom is about 15mm , it may have the platter weights inserted to keep the gyro look , and also give it more mass, if the bearing can take it , the weight of the platter is 4.1kg with out the 1.5kg in weights,

the orbe platter is around 4.5 kg ,

P1020682.JPG

P1020683.JPG

Edited by gwernaffield
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

with regards to the armboards , due to the weight of the rega they have to have brass weights inserted into the armbord to make up the 1kg needed , on the SME arms these are not needed due to the quality of the arm ,The Sme armboard  i thought it was a litte bit boreing being  just a piece of round acrylic , so i put a oak spacer on the top , and screwed the arm to that ,and the armboad it self ,held on the chassis with nylon screws ,

the jelco arms are different weights so we have to drill them the same as the rega version but leave the weights out ,to allow the owner to balance the armboard along with the arm ,

i did make one arm board out of carbon fibre but the cost was too much this has been shelved , or put in the draw , i had a large block of african ebony that was suppoed to be dry , how ever on making it roughly round and put into a bag with the chippings left for 4 weeks , it had cracked in several places , so that was put in the draw,

p

Edited by gwernaffield

Glad this is back where it belongs :)

The platter looks very cool and will be interesting to hear your thoughts once spruced up and working as it should!

Super Wammer

Hi andy as the platter sits now with out the weights it weighs in at 4.17 kg , so to add the weighs it will be about the 5.1 5.4 kg , heavier then the orbe one,  i have played several lps as it sits , but with a cork mat , the cartridge is new rebuilt sound smith and will take a couple of hrs to run in , but in the mean time , all i can say is that it digs the very last note out of the LP , i was concerned that it would have a lot of rumble but i cannot hear any,  the center hole underneith is a good fit over the bearing , i have been listerning to radio kaos , roger waters , i thought i was hearing things , about fish , and at the end of the lp there is ahigh pitched tone that steps up and then the shock was it steps up again , i have never heard that in 10 years of playing that lp , the voicing is spot on , with the drums on phil colins in the room , more depth again which i thought was impossible , but the very last bit of the piano being played by kate bush of 50 words for snow  blown me away , and that is only after 4 lps,  The valleys , being clear in the voicing on the progress , the welsh singer in the room ,

but as it is only 50% there , i am still stunned ,

p

• Like 1

Super Wammer

hi Tarzan , i may put the double pully on tonight ,which you gave me , the speed is very stable , must be the mix of the pylons and the extra weight of the platter , or the feet that stop the deck from moving , some experiments need to be done first , with or with out the cork mat , which is 5mm home made one , a 3mm plane cork and a 2mm cork and rubber , glued together , which is being used now, any static is reduced to just removing the lp on the 180grm stuff , but none on the thin 1970 -2000 vinlys , it is hard to explane exactly the main differences in the 2 platters , one is it seems more speed stable, with the extra weight , but why the bass extension has gone up along with cleaner mids and better highs and voicing i just do not know  why that should happen , it could be what i call the whish effect , i wish it is better ,so it is , i wish that all the hard work pays off, and it does , But most of all is i  wish i could explane why this deck is now 100% better than when i stated, and why the orbe now gets better to listern too with tweeked parts from me,

but most of all i wish every one a happy christmas and a happy new year ,

P1020687.JPG

Edited by gwernaffield
  • Like 1

Result then Peter if you are hearing improvements - perhaps when the weights are added it may produce another audible improvement (or not as the case may be).

Keep it coming and all the best for Christmas and the New Year to you too (and all on the WAM) 

Super Wammer

now with the acromat on , lost a little but of bass, but every thing else is the same,

all the best to eveyone on Wam ,

P1020692.JPG

Happy New Year to one and all - Just listening to some of my old early '80s records on the Orbe and sounding fantastic :)

• Like 1

Happy New Year to all Michell owners out there - and anyone else just passing through this part of the forum.

It has been 12 months since I fitted Pete’s pylon upgrades which, as I am sure most of you know, transform the Gyro. About a week ago I heard another system with a Gyro front end plus SME arm. This had the Solid Air string based pylons and the maglev feet. It was like going back in time as I immediately noticed the rough metallic texture to the treble that was familiar from the spring based suspension. The message is clear, accept no substitutes!

Feel like I am at a bit of a crossroads as the decade clicks over. I am starting to eye different TT’s to make the next leap forwards whilst also looking at Pete’s new mods for arm board and platter and considering arm upgrade for my Gyro. 

I am fairly sure that this time next year I will have gone one direction or the other, can’t wait to find out - roll on 2020!

• Like 1

You may have spend a nice wedge out......:geek: