HoopsOnToast

Michell owners club

Anyone uses one of the old Michell/Transcriptors reference TT as their main deck?

How good can it be?

I bought a shiny silver base Michell version a while back purely for the looks. It's got the Origin Live motor upgrade and an SME 3009 arm. Other than changing the belt and a bit of lube I've done nothing to it and its lying lonely on display only as I have nicely fettled 401 as my main deck which sees all the action.

Wondering if its worth investing any more in the Michell - like a better arm (AN Arm One) on a new armboard - and trying it in my main system?

I have two Transcriptor Hydraulic References: one I have left completely original with the unipivot arm and Shure V15 lll, the other now had an Audiomods Classic fitted with a AT OC5 mc cartridge and clear acrylic mat. Lovely decks! So yes, it is worth investing in.

(I also have Michell Gyro SE, a Garrard 401, Linn Sondek, Beogram 4000, Oracle Delphi, Tom Fletcher Dais, Transcriptor Saturn. I just love the designs.)

I have two Transcriptor Hydraulic References: one I have left completely original with the unipivot arm and Shure V15 lll, the other now had an Audiomods Classic fitted with a AT OC5 mc cartridge and clear acrylic mat. Lovely decks! So yes, it is worth investing in.

(I also have Michell Gyro SE, a Garrard 401, Linn Sondek, Beogram 4000, Oracle Delphi, Tom Fletcher Dais, Transcriptor Saturn. I just love the designs.)

So which one do you actually listen to? :shock:

So which one do you actually listen to? :shock:

All in use!

The Oracle and Gyro in my sitting room, Beogram in the dining area/kitchen, the others are upstairs.

I run them through separate pre-amps to switch boxes and then into my three B&O systems: Beocenter 2 + Beolab 8000s; Beocenter 9300 + Beolab 6000s; vintage Beomaster 3000-2 + Beovox C30s.

I am a bit of a design junkie and if something comes up at the right price, I just have to buy it-it seems rude not to!

Super Wammer

That is a rather impressive collection of decks! And I thought I had a TT hoarding problem!

What do you think of the sound quality of the Reference with Audiomods arm and AT cart - especially compared with the 401 and Dais?

All in use!

The Oracle and Gyro in my sitting room, Beogram in the dining area/kitchen, the others are upstairs.

I run them through separate pre-amps to switch boxes and then into my three B&O systems: Beocenter 2 + Beolab 8000s; Beocenter 9300 + Beolab 6000s; vintage Beomaster 3000-2 + Beovox C30s.

I am a bit of a design junkie and if something comes up at the right price, I just have to buy it-it seems rude not to!

Question about "GOrbing" my Gyro?

Just about there, ordered the Orbe style double spider arrived this morning.

I ordered the Orbe double spider and it arrived today, wondered if someone could help me with (whats probably) a daft question...but I cant get building the deck until I crack it!

feck me, can i not work out how to put the feet on it!

With the single spider, it has the 3 threaded posts which the feet screw into.

The double spider kit has no threaded post...

It LOOKS like you need to take the existing threaded posts out the Gryo single spider and transplant it to the Double one, but I've no idea if that's right.

Is the pillar a two part assembly, with the lower threaded part unscrewing?

Maybe so as the double spider has the same upward facing "top half" as the original Gyro spider.

How do I get it off though - its a cylindrical polished metal shaft and its screwed in tight, cant get a grip!

In the kit I got this morning I got:

two spiders

3 countersunk screws

cable tie for tonearm cable.

How did you hook it all together ?

How do I screw the feet onto the double spider..?

Wondering if I need to get a set of grips and twist it out the original spider, but i don't know.

Thanks for any help

That is a rather impressive collection of decks! And I thought I had a TT hoarding problem!

What do you think of the sound quality of the Reference with Audiomods arm and AT cart - especially compared with the 401 and Dais?

Ok, my Oracle has an Audiomods Series 5 with a Dynavector 20x2L and an Arkless phono stage, and this tends to be my main deck as it has a great sound with little surface noise and a wide sound stage.

The Hydraulic Reference, fitted with an acrylic mat, has the Audiomods Classic with an AT OC5 and I like it very much, but it's difficult to compare with the 401 and the Dais as both are fitted with mm carts and different arms. The 401 has an SME 3009 improved with a Grado Prestige Black, and the Dais has a Rega RB250 with a Tecnoweight upgrade and a Grado Gold. (The Dais is the original New Line Engineering one, not the later Nottingham Analogue version).

I have to say I like Grado carts: a great sound for the money.

The Gyro SE has a Tecnoarm and another AT OC5 but with Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 phono stage. This is currently connected to the same system as the Oracle, and of the two I prefer the sound of the latter.

As you can see, I have a wide variety of equipment, much of it bought on impulse. I have to admit to buying much of what I have because I like the design, especially the sculptural elements of the Transcriptors, Gyro and Oracle.

Contrary to what it may look like, I have not spent a fortune, often picking up items at bargain prices.

Problem now sorted..phew.

Heat shrink and a hefty set of pliers got it off.

Double spider now fitted, looks good.

Ok, my Oracle has an Audiomods Series 5 with a Dynavector 20x2L and an Arkless phono stage, and this tends to be my main deck as it has a great sound with little surface noise and a wide sound stage.

The Gyro SE has a Tecnoarm and another AT OC5 but with Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 phono stage. This is currently connected to the same system as the Oracle, and of the two I prefer the sound of the latter.

As you can see, I have a wide variety of equipment, much of it bought on impulse. I have to admit to buying much of what I have because I like the design, especially the sculptural elements of the Transcriptors, Gyro and Oracle.

Contrary to what it may look like, I have not spent a fortune, often picking up items at bargain prices.

You have what I would consider a dream collection of new and old school design turntables all of which have been in my wish list at some point!

Interesting outcome/comparison between the Gyro and Delphi. I too have an Oracle Delphi (original) with Modified RB300 (by Audio Origami) but that has now become relegated to minor use as I prefer the sound of my Orbe with TechnoArm. Whilst the Orbe's sound may seem initially slower than my Oracle, it just has an overall ease to the sound with much better depth and dynamic range to the music.

You have what I would consider a dream collection of new and old school design turntables all of which have been in my wish list at some point!

Interesting outcome/comparison between the Gyro and Delphi. I too have an Oracle Delphi (original) with Modified RB300 (by Audio Origami) but that has now become relegated to minor use as I prefer the sound of my Orbe with TechnoArm. Whilst the Orbe's sound may seem initially slower than my Oracle, it just has an overall ease to the sound with much better depth and dynamic range to the music.

It's difficult to make comparisons unless I use the same arm and cartridge, and then play the same piece of music etc which I have not done.

The Audiomods Series 5 with the DV 20x2 is probably my best tone arm set up coupled with the Arkless phono. One day I must try them on the Gyro.

If I'm honest, I like the aesthetic appeal as much as the musical appeal, and actually they all sound pretty good!

If I had to keep one on looks alone, I think it would have to be the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference with fluid arm, complete with squirrel hair brushes as seen on A Clockwork Orange. This and the Beogram 4000 were what got me back into vinyl again.

That JA Turbo ain't too shabby.....

That JA Turbo ain't too shabby.....

If you mean the Arkless, it's not the Turbo version just the standard reworking of the CA651P, but still a superb phono for the money. I was lucky enough to pick it for £180, I think, either here on the Wam or VEngine.

I see you have the turbo version, Andy- I bet that's pretty damn good?

Chris

Good morning gentlemen ! I am new to this forum ad in the market for a Gyro SE MKII. I have posted what am looking for in the classifieds section a link to which is below:

WTB: MIchell Gyro SE MKII

I am hoping that at least one of you would be willing to part with your much treasured possession so that the club can grow :) !

-Seth

If you mean the Arkless, it's not the Turbo version just the standard reworking of the CA651P, but still a superb phono for the money. I was lucky enough to pick it for £180, I think, either here on the Wam or VEngine.

I see you have the turbo version, Andy- I bet that's pretty damn good?

Chris

Yes, very refined, a full, weighty and musical sound with great presence a very nice phono stage indeed.:)

Designed a nice perspex plinth using Isonoe feet bought from MCRU here on the WAM and and a full cover to protect for my Orbe SE......but in the end I went for a full Orbe plinth from Michell!

Before:

Orbe+SE+LR.jpg

After:

Full+Orbe+cover+up.jpg

Lid down:

Full+Orbe+cover+down.jpg

Sorry for the grainy pictures from my BB!