DomT

Audiophile or music lover?

24 minutes ago, mayebaza said:

Not quite sure I fully agree. More revealing systems can unveil the full extent of musicianship which can alter your appreciation of a particular track.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

And that's a bonus.

in the end, different people get different things out of music.  I had a friend who'd listen to a symphony with the charts (sheet music) in front of him.

I, too, marvel at just how clever classical composers are in terms of using an orchestra to portray melodies, sounds and emotions. That marveling is, however, an afterthought for me.

The first desire is to experience the performance itself.

For instance, to experience the terrible sadness and tragedy in the final movement of Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique". Subject to it being a good performance, that piece does me in every time that I listen to it.

The real aim for me in terms of audio is, therefore, to be "done in" as well as possible, whatever the music that I'm listening to.

Kit that times well and reveals musical detail helps me to achieve that aim.

• Like 1

And that's a bonus.
in the end, different people get different things out of music.  I had a friend who'd listen to a symphony with the charts (sheet music) in front of him.
I, too, marvel at just how clever classical composers are in terms of using an orchestra to portray melodies, sounds and emotions. That marveling is, however, an afterthought for me.
The first desire is to experience the performance itself.
For instance, to experience the terrible sadness and tragedy in the final movement of Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique". Subject to it being a good performance, that piece does me in every time that I listen to it.
The real aim for me in terms of audio is, therefore, to be "done in" as well as possible, whatever the music that I'm listening to.
Kit that times well and reveals musical detail helps me to achieve that aim.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, rabski said:

You can obviously be a music lover without being an audiophile, but how can it possibly be the other way round?

I haven't seen my old friend Fozzy for years, but every time I saw him way back, he always told me about the latest bit of equipment he'd got, but never about the music he played on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Had the same experience at many HiFi shows.  A few years ago went to a house in Newmarket to listen to pair of speakers, he had for sale.  His system didn't have any component that cost less than £10k.  While he looked for the speakers he put on a CD we knew well.  Couldn't. wait for it to be turned off?    Pethaps we are all guilty of listening to the equipment rather than the music. 

To evaluate how an equipment or system reproduces recordings you have to listen to the system.

The problem starts when you're unable to hang the critic hat and enjoy the music. It's easy to become enslaved by magazines and cables and all manner of tweaks... That's when you start listening ad nauseam to the same three tracks, say Stimela, something by Diana Krell and that famous one by JYello.

Edited by tuga
  • Like 1

I think there are changeaphobes (continual box swappers always thinking summat can be improved when oft times it cannot) 

As Rabski said how can you be an audiophile and not be a music lover ..

All I know is I love music - love going to watch it, loved trying to play it when I was in a band, and love listening on the hifi (and even the car radio) 

When you go to lots of concerts to hear stuff live you get your impression of how stuff should sound and so you put together the kit you can afford to provide the best possible reproduction you can.   I guess that is where the audiophile comes to be .. 

There are the audiophile snobs I used to encounter when I sold the stuff (spent a fortune on the kit and had hardly any record or (cd collection in the days before streaming) .. I would not call them audiophiles as they actually didn't have a clue when it came to good reproduction.  Try dealing with a customer who says he has super hearing and can hear clearly up to 20khz - was fun putting on music that had nothing in that register and him telling us how things were missing on the Yamaha NS 1000 but all there on the Dahlquist DQ10s.

Over my years I have got to the point where my system delivers all I want.  Could it deliver more?  very probably.  Am I going to arse around trying to fix a problem that to me does not exist?   

My only changes happen when I go to a bake off or a pal's house or a show and something grabs me by the balls - and when I go home there seems to be summat not as good as what I had been hearing - enough so that it now irritates and I have to correct it.   That has not happened now for 17 years (my last major change in the hifi of more than I ever wanted to spend proportions) .. 

My view is a true audiophile is able to appreciate a piece of kit for what it is and its performance EVEN if that performance is less than the experience they have with their own system.   So putting my lad's system together he knows there is no way in heaven I am going to lash out over £10k on a pair of speakers etc.  but what he does know is together we will put together what we can afford that he can live with happily .. not sure how long that will last though if he keeps coming back and listening to my system :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uzzy said:

I think there are changeaphobes (continual box swappers always thinking summat can be improved when oft times it cannot)

The most difficult aspect of this hobby is first identifying what is wrong with the system and then finding the most probable causes.

It's why so many upgrades end up in sidegrades.

That's where measurements are an important complement to listening, they help you to nail down what's wrong and to shortlist potential upgrades that actually deal with the shortcomings that we have identified through listening.

Yet we somehow believe that reviews will take us there... And we end up riding the merry-go-round of box-swapping. This permanent feeling of insatisfaction is good for the industry.

6 hours ago, tuga said:

The most difficult aspect of this hobby is first identifying what is wrong with the system and then finding the most probable causes.

It's why so many upgrades end up in sidegrades.

Well you could be right - in my experience it is a mixture of many things - but for a number it is finding answers to problems they never had in the first place - or not realising it is very very rare you can improve by sideways steps.  I never sent them away when I was selling the stuff it kept the store running (you need sales) but I guess the best thing was the poorer punter got the part exchange item at a bargain price.

I also think for a lot a of people they fail to identify that an irk or fault only seems to happen on certain recordings but others are mighty fine.  The posting on Mastering has perhaps opened some peoples eyes that they may be seeking solutions for something they cannot repair/

• Like 1

I think having a good understanding in what instruments sound like in real life helps when listening to hifi in how close can it sound to the real thing i mean go to a concert listen to the instruments and the vocals  .

Some albums sound real some do not but you know in your mind that i know what them drums sound like or how a piano sounds and so on so when buying hifi i look for what sounds real and not artificial  

• Like 1

IME, you know that your years of being an audiophile have paid off when you become a music nut. 

At that point it is best to forget the former. It's easy too.

On 09/12/2019 at 21:47, tuga said:

To evaluate how an equipment or system reproduces recordings you have to listen to the system.

You have to listen to the music. When I play an LP or CD I hear music. I don’t hear amp distortion or jitter in isolation to be able to compare one product over another. 

Super Dealer

You have to compare to a unit which isn’t adding the distortion.

Keith

18 minutes ago, DomT said:

You have to listen to the music. When I play an LP or CD I hear music. I don’t hear amp distortion or jitter in isolation to be able to compare one product over another. 

To evaluate playback performance you must move your focus away from the musical content of the recording and towards to the sounds being generated by the system.

Edited by tuga

In the end, the audiophile in me will listen to a pair of speakers and think “they’re impressive”, the music lover in me wants to jump up at the end of a piece of music and rush over to congratulate the performers - before realising that it is just a recording! The speakers that elicit the first response aren’t the ones that elicit the latter, far more worthwhile, response! 

On 09/12/2019 at 22:46, uzzy said:

My only changes happen when I go to a bake off or a pal's house or a show and something grabs me by the balls...

Interesting shows you're going to... niche market opportunity possibly, audiophile dogging?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Camverton said:

In the end, the audiophile in me will listen to a pair of speakers and think “they’re impressive”, the music lover in me wants to jump up at the end of a piece of music and rush over to congratulate the performers - before realising that it is just a recording! The speakers that elicit the first response aren’t the ones that elicit the latter, far more worthwhile, response! 

Speakers have to make a technically outstanding classical music recording sound realistic if they're to impress me; so they would elicit both responses.