tuga

The joys of buying a couple of new records a week vs. the freedom of streaming millions of songs from go

The joys of buying a couple of new records a week vs. the freedom of streaming millions of songs from go  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The "Dac upscale" thread got me thinking about how streaming has affected music-listening habits:

£240/year buys you roughly 75 used CDs, 375 in five years.

Is it better to be able access millions of CDs or to thoroughly enjoy one or two new records every month?

When I was a late teenager I used to spend all their pocket money in music. There wasn't much of a used market at the time and I could only afford a new record or two every three months. I would listen to the radio and make tapes of my favourite songs, but the new album was precious and I would sit in my bedroom listen to it exaustively, hours on end, thoroughly enjoying the discovery of nuances and detail at every new audition.

Nowadays (my) kids (and adults alike) use a "digital music service that gives you access to millions of songs". They group their favourite songs into playlist and are offered song suggestions by the service providers based on their preferences. Songs are star-rated.

Has short-term pleasure taken over the habits of music listeners?

Do streamers listen to whole albums?

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Both for me... there is a time and a place for both options :) 

• Like 2

Using a streaming service to find music you like wherever you are, then finding the original LP mint second hand, buying it knowing you’ll like it and won’t have to go back for a refund, and adding it to a carefully curated collection of treasured albums that sound fantastic on the main system. 

Edited by jas0_0
  • Like 5

Super Wammer

Both here too. I don't buy so regularly now, more when something interesting enters my field of vision. I might buy 6 LPs at once and then none for three or four months. I do buy new and used CDs every few weeks.

2 LPs a week could easily be £150-£250 a month. I know some here exceed that.

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, t1no said:

Halve your budget for each and get both :)

Indeed!

I listen to Tidal (or the radio) a lot while I work and I don't need the best SQ or the distraction of changing media. Saves wear on the expensive MC cart too.

When I do stick a CD in the player or put an LP on it's more of an occasion and I find myself enjoying it all the more.

With streaming it is too easy just to choose genres or the artist, and then keep jumping about. It can be great fun, but I still prefer to listen to a whole album(CD).

Actually purchased a CD yesterday - Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill. Sounds superb, much better than from my Spotify Premium account. 

In the old days I waited with anticipation for the new rush album released around September..I bought a lot of vinyl and destroyed a lot with damaged cartridges..I hadn't realised this at the time! I'm a lot more careful nowadays..vinyl in a lot of respects is the best medium.it sounds great.has a good cover with artwork and liner notes I can read..a tangible weighty round thingy..brilliant!  Even dropping the cart onto the record was a satisfactory experience...I have a good turntable, arm cart blah blah..which actually adds to the enjoyment. As it took a long time to get to that position..I personally don't think this new digital age is good thing..everything on demand..the craft of making music has changed not for the better in my opinion..when you waited a year for a record it had a value..it all seems valueless now..I streamed the new Marillion album..it was great..but not like the old days..and yes I'm happy with the sound quality ( think I have bored everyone by now lol)  but there's something missing..I can't quite put my finger on it?  my kids aren't interested in my hifi..headphones but not hifi..I spend hours faffing about changing cables..they think I'm a weirdo..I guess us of the hi fi fraternity are the old guard trying to hold onto to what we knew..and when we shuffle off..our kit will become museum pieces or landfill..

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I think the survey should have another option "buy Vinyl".

I stream to hear new artist, and see what music was used for reviews, but for enjoyment it has to be Vinyl (New or used). 500 or so CD's now in storage never to see the light of day. If I wanted to hear the material again, I would take the streamed version.

Alan

• Like 1

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, tuga said:

Streaming = zapping?

Ric, you're stirring now ;-)

Some nights it's a pleasure to jump around a bit on a streaming service. Most of us are quite capable of concentrating for a whole album at a time, and do.

31 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

... a tangible weighty round thingy ...

For a lot of people it's actually very liberating not to have a collection of big (or even CD size) round weighty things clogging up storage space. The experience of music is changing ... you can now read lyrics in time with music, see the same artwork,  watch artist videos, find related information, gigs and similar artists in an interactive way that no cardboard cover can ever hope to match.

12 hours ago, t1no said:

For a lot of people it's actually very liberating not to have a collection of big (or even CD size) round weighty things clogging up storage space. The experience of music is changing ... you can now read lyrics in time with music, see the same artwork,  watch artist videos, find related information, gigs and similar artists in an interactive way that no cardboard cover can ever hope to match.

But whilst you're doing all those things (web surfing) you're not fully concentrating on the music.

This why I don't feel attracted to the Room Roon experience.

Edited by tuga
  • Like 1

For myself the main strength of lossy streaming is relatively inexpensively having access to such a huge array of music, meaning I explore far more new stuff than I ever used to.

CD quality streaming or better is not something I've experimented with to comment on but if it really does sound the same as CD (mastering differences excepted) then I struggle with an argument not to go this way long term. Well, other than liking to listen to CDs in my car I guess but I have enough CDs to tide me over before i replace my car!

I do stream whole albums BTW.