Nifkin

Arcam amp: renovate or replace?

Yes, too many variables are a nightmare. I originally bought a Rega Mira 3 from this forum. I thought it sounded very mild compared to the Arcam. A friend of mine who worked for Sevenoaks said that the guys he worked with rated the A19, so I bought a minter on eBay for £300. I thought it was better. Then, when I sold the Mira, I hooked it up for the buyer and guess what? It sounded great! I didn't lose any money on the deal, but it's very difficult and time consuming to hook up and unhook amps to do a-b tests- audio memory is very short. I'm currently assessing a DAC power supply. I think it's great........probably!

• Upvote 2

On 08/12/2019 at 14:13, Nifkin said:

Yeah sorry: was reading the thread on my phone and confused who said what. But I think the point I was making is it's very difficult to compare components, an amplifier say, when the source, speakers, cables and even room differ between listening tests. Blimey, even time of day can make a difference to your perception! That's why @plasticpenguin's opinion is valid and interesting when discussing this range of amps: seems like he's checked most of them out in the same conditions.

For me the A65 Plus is a winner at moderate listening levels: if I move to a detached house I'd be inclined to upgrade to something with more welly, but as I live in a flat I want to stay on good terms with the neighbours and not give them the hump :fight:

I previously owned the Alpha 7R for over 6 years (and still have it in the attic in case the Leema goes Pete Tong), and personally haven't heard a better amp than the A65+ in that price range. Absolutely bang on for low to medium levels.

You should hear it with top notch speakers. I heard it with PMC GB1 and it was a revelation.

On 08/12/2019 at 14:22, mr neds said:

... so I bought a minter on eBay for £300. I thought it was better. Then, when I sold the Mira, I hooked it up for the buyer and guess what? It sounded great! I didn't lose any money on the deal, but it's very difficult and time consuming to hook up and unhook amps to do a-b tests- audio memory is very short. I'm currently assessing a DAC power supply. I think it's great........probably!

That is box-swapping in a nutshell.

I learnt this lesson with £2000 worth of entry level Naim gear back in the day. (Ex-demo Nait 5i, CD5i and used NAT05.)

Luckily, when I sold it all, I lost very little money,  but I wish I had sidestepped the whole episode. (Two years trying to like it and trying to find speakers that ‘liked it’ too.) The CD5i spent most of that time packed away in it’s carton in a cupboard having been outclassed by streaming ALAC via a Beresford TC-7520 DAC (with LM4562 op-amps) for a fraction of the price and footprint.

Edited by chebby

So true Cheb- the power supply I'm trying is the Beresford Dorado, with the SEG DAC- only £60 and it definitely does something, but is the whole lot better than the dacmagic 100 I started with? Well, it doesn't give me a headache.......................