Sparkydude

Help me choose a suitable integrated for my Spendors

The Spendors are very tolerant of positioning but of course good placement does result in a better sound. The right speaker being close to a side wall will increase the bass from that speaker. Spendor advise a minimum distance of 20cms from the rear wall and 30cms from the side wall but I have ended up (at the moment!) about 16.5 cms from the rear wall and toed in about 8 degrees on each speaker in an equilateral triangle with the distances being about 9 - 10 feet.

https://www.spendoraudio.com/frequently-asked-questions/

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, macvisual said:

Mike,

Before splashing out big bucks, check out the pair of Musical Fidelity MA50 mono-block's along with matching 3A pre-amp for really little money in the classifieds, you'd get your money back if it didn't work out.

A bargain for sure........tempted myself.

Peter

Totally get what you're saying Peter but if it doesn't work out, I'll have to then faff about reboxing them all up again and then there's the challenge of trying to sell them on. 🤯

If it was just a music set up in a straightforward hifi rack, I would probably do it but because I'm integrating AV into it all too, it's a big pain in the a**e unhooking it all. 🤐

22 minutes ago, Bit Perfect said:

The Spendors are very tolerant of positioning but of course good placement does result in a better sound. The right speaker being close to a side wall will increase the bass from that speaker. Spendor advise a minimum distance of 20cms from the rear wall and 30cms from the side wall but I have ended up (at the moment!) about 16.5 cms from the rear wall and toed in about 8 degrees on each speaker in an equilateral triangle with the distances being about 9 - 10 feet.

https://www.spendoraudio.com/frequently-asked-questions/

That's perfect! Mine are about 2 metres apart with a larger 20 degree toe in and about a foot from the front wall (to the front baffle). Right speaker is around 12-15 cms from side wall. Left speaker is open....

I'm away from home as usual so I'm guessing with my measurements here....

Ok guys, I am starting to zone in on the products that I feel will suit my system after much much deliberation and research.

1. Musical Fidelity M6 pre/pro

2. Musical Fidelity M6 500i

3. Primare pre/pro (PRE-35/A35.2)

4. Leema Tucana II Anniversary

All of the above are of a similar price although the Primare is slightly higher in cost. But I might be able to strike a deal on it.

I'll probably get around £2k for my Arcam and Cyrus which will leave me with between £1.5-£2k to find.

I now need to do a touch more research and try to organise a demo at the very least.

Due to my time at Nigel's, I feel I know the MF house sound which is warm and full bodied but with the potential to be quite weak with bass.

The Primare I'm told it a "fast" and "dynamic" set up apparently but I'm yet to hear this.

The Leema is a complete unknown to me.

Any thoughts on the direction I'm heading guys?

Re-posted for added effect. 😎🖐️

Super Wammer
On 10/12/2019 at 02:32, PhotoMax said:

Then I listened to the same music played on the ATC SMC40As with active amps. Amazing. $14000. But the amps are included. I had this immediate fantasy of running out the store with them. They were that good.

I’m with you on that one.  It’s what I’m saving for. Now, where is my lottery ticket? (They’re under £7000 a pair at home!)

Edited by Nopiano

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Sparkydude said:

I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of these, and it might well come down to practical things like how many inputs, how good the remote is, and the size of the units.  Or maybe the warranty is valuable, in which case ATCs are very good, but they’re not on your list!  Did you consider this one...http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/electronics/amplifiers/integrated/s1a2-150/

I’m more of an integrated amp fan, so I’d be quite happy with the Primare I35 (or a Gato or Hegel).  As I’ve so enjoyed my current Primare, I’d choose your 35 series pair in a blink.  But, as I said, they’re all fine higher-end products. 

• Upvote 1

I can only comment on the Leema not having heard the others. Fast, detailed, dynamic with bags of power and punch but perhaps a little on the lean side. You really need to sort out your speaker positioning first before having any home demo's as that can and probably will make a big difference.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of these, and it might well come down to practical things like how many inputs, how good the remote is, and the size of the units.  Or maybe the warranty is valuable, in which case ATCs are very good, but they’re not on your list!  Did you consider this one...http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/electronics/amplifiers/integrated/s1a2-150/

I’m more of an integrated amp fan, so I’d be quite happy with the Primare I35 (or a Gato or Hegel).  As I’ve so enjoyed my current Primare, I’d choose your 35 series pair in a blink.  But, as I said, they’re all fine higher-end products. 

I have a friend down south who has a Primare integrated with Spendor A4's and she absolutely raves about it. She recommended Primare as it wasn't even on my radar to be fair.

I think a pre/pro might suit me better as I can add to it easier in future whereas if I fancy a change with an integrated, I'll have to sell on the integrated for a new one. Bit costlier but I think a better option. 🤔

Like the look of the ATC but it has no XLR inputs/outputs so I'll have to pass on that one I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, Bit Perfect said:

I can only comment on the Leema not having heard the others. Fast, detailed, dynamic with bags of power and punch but perhaps a little on the lean side. You really need to sort out your speaker positioning first before having any home demo's as that can and probably will make a big difference.

Cheers pal. I'll get onto that when I get home on Friday (if the wife n kids don't get in the way) 😂

• Like 1

Send 'em out Christmas shopping....

On second thoughts don't or you might not be able to afford your new amp....:D

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bit Perfect said:

Send 'em out Christmas shopping....

On second thoughts don't or you might not be able to afford your new amp....:D

She says..."can we afford this"

I say..." Of course darling" through gritted teeth. 😂

Edited by Sparkydude

I have atc scm50 active towers, I know I already said, 

but here`s a bit more gloating, , tri  amps integrated into the speaker so NO CABLES to buy, single mains cable only , HUGE SAVINGS

At this moment they are directly connected to either a CD player or an oppo bdp105 blu ray, via a very good and very reasonable pair of xlr cables,80 squid all in,, NO PREAMP required

To be honest having spent  way too much over the decades on big Tubes and bigger SS and even nuforce v9 class D , plus zillions of pounds worth of snake oil cables , the simple ATC single XLR into whatever, no preamp is the best I`ve ever heard and the simplest I could imagine , and almost doable inside your budget second hand

Edited by stevebrown
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sparkydude said:

My thoughts would be as follows:

- An Amp, if it's a good step up from what you have, can sound great...until you hear better (or more to your taste, even if it's a sideways move).

- You cannot know for certain what suits you best, until you hear what different Amp Topologies bring to the party

- Having read what you like, I would be looking to try a few more Amps with a bit of extra warmth - Just to see.

I know you have MF on your list - but there is (IMO) better than the M6 series, even within the MF brand (AMS/Nu Vista).....though you should listen to all of your list, if possible.

- I think you should try, for example, the Sugden ANV 50, Pathos Logos, McIntosh 252

- The Leema/Primare/Gato/Nord etc. will give you the clean, powerful and neutral side of the fence. The Sugden/Pathos/McIntosh /Vincent etc. will give you a richness, naturalness and warmth, that you "may" find more engaging. At the money you are spending, I think it's worth finding out for sure which side of the Musical Fence you are on.

- So to some degree, I'm playing Devil's Advocate, as well as putting forward what I would prefer - but I think our tastes might be similar.