Beckenham

Ken Ishiwata death ( 1947 - 2019 )

A very sad loss in every way.

Very sad news. He always came across as a humble individual, yet highly respected throughout the hi-fi industry. I've only heard one amp that carries his initials, the 7001KI. IIRC, it was quite impressive.

RIP Ken.

Ken’s listening room ... maybe it’s the office. Looks like he like Q Acoustics. 😬

• Like 1

Glad that I got to shake his hand by way of thanks for my PM66 and CD6000 OSE  KI versions.

Loads of us will continue to benefit from his legacy.

R.I.P. KI

Super Wammer

Very sad to hear Ken did so much to improve and gain acceptance of CD replay and showed that the medium was indeed good enough to play excellent music .

21 hours ago, Nifkin said:

Sad news. I'm very familiar with at least one piece of his work, Marantz's CD6000 OSE KI Signature: bought it in 2002 and over 17 years later it's still going strong. Thanks Ken :^

I hope you got the same, unmissable discount as I did when I bought my ('champagne' gold) one the same year as you Nifkin.

I'd previously had good Philips and Sony CDPs, but, as you probably found, this Marantz made discs sound better.

I tried it through best-buy Audiolab and Arcam DACs, but found no improvement over its own conversion.

It's 'CD Re-writable Playback' capability was useful for me at the time too, but I've always found its display to be too dim - like the lowest level on a dimmable display.

I mentioned this to Marantz who advised that it was not a fault.......hopefully you won't now tell me that it is, as yours is fine!

Mine too still looks and sounds as it did 17 years ago.

We can certainly be grateful to good old KI.

Edited by Gray

The loss of Ken is a tragedy to his family, friends, Marantz, the entire audio industry and all of us who have benefitted directly or indirectly from his influence. Truly one of the greats of the modern audio industry. RIP Ken, make the heavens sing that little bit sweeter!

2 hours ago, Gray said:

I hope you got the same, unmissable discount as I did when I bought my ('champagne' gold) one the same year as you Nifkin.

I'd previously had good Philips and Sony CDPs, but, as you probably found, this Marantz made discs sound better.

I tried it through best-buy Audiolab and Arcam DACs, but found no improvement over its own conversion.

It's 'CD Re-writable Playback' capability was useful for me at the time too, but I've always found its display to be too dim - like the lowest level on a dimmable display.

I mentioned this to Marantz who advised that it was not a fault.......hopefully you won't now tell me that it is, as yours is fine!

Mine too still looks and sounds as it did 17 years ago.

We can certainly be grateful to good old KI.

As it happens, its currently packed away as we're moving home shortly, but I don't think the display is that bright: have always quite liked it that way.

I got the black version from RS for a steal, IIRC: can't remember exactly how much, but they were virtually giving it away.

Super Wammer

RIP 

I remember seeing him a few years back at the Bristol HiFI show