Nearly bewildered

Dac upscale

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Yes and no. If someone is just perfectly happy with a lower cost streaming option and can't tell any meaningful difference between this and other options then it's fairly straightforward. My Dad uses Spotify Premium on this basis for example. (I've not done much streaming myself to comment.) At the point someone starts hearing differences and has opinions on them then yes, it gets a lot more complicated :).

(I've not listened to the podcasts I think you're referring to yet actually, but I suspect I have at least some idea of their likely content. I will get round to them though.)

I listen to lower cost streaming on very good equipment.. It sounds brilliant to me..if it's a good recording!  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A really well recorded track sampled down to MP3 will be better than a really badly recorded track in a high-resolution format. However, a really well recorded track in a hig-resolution format is a very different matter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rabski said:

A really well recorded track sampled down to MP3 will be better than a really badly recorded track in a high-resolution format. However, a really well recorded track in a hig-resolution format is a very different matter.

My mate streams hi res ( quboz) and it does sound very good..and his kit is even better than mine! But mp3 ( decent recording)  on good kit is high quality.. You would think it's limitations would be highlighted by exacting hifi..not so..in my opinion.. ( I tried my ipod shuffle thru my kit..not good) I listen to YouTube from my telly via optical cable to Dac to HiFi and it's excellent..I may try the Amazon HD streaming service it seems good value at £15 a month..but I'm not expecting a chalk and cheese difference.. 

20 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Hi nearly bewildered :)

I had asked the exact same question about internal upsampling of a MP3 track before digital to analogue conversion, many years back on the whathifi forum, when I was considering buying a sony HAP-Z1 ES. 

And the reply I got then, was the same you received today. Bits lost can't be reconstructed. Different algorithms can extrapolate at best. So it might sound different, and but it might never be the original from which the MP3 was compressed. 

The above said, after listening for many years to digital streams from different platforms that offer different sampling rates. It is my humble experience that, recording quality matters more than track resolution. A well recorded track sounds lovely even on a MP3 track with 256 kbps. Trust me that is the bulk of my listening. And i also have a tidal subscription as well as a NAS with tons of ripped flac and DSD 's. So if you are happy with the sound you presently have, then I feel you are not missing out on much. 

The higher res tracks do have a fuller sound somehow. But I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Iam perfectly happy with the 256 kbps MP3  I stream over my chrome cast audio too :)

100% agree 👍 I was on that What hifi forum too..till I got banned.. I wound up those armchair wafflers till they started spluttering!!  Hahaha happy days 🤣

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nearly bewildered said:

My mate streams hi res ( quboz) and it does sound very good..and his kit is even better than mine! But mp3 ( decent recording)  on good kit is high quality.. You would think it's limitations would be highlighted by exacting hifi..not so..in my opinion.. ( I tried my ipod shuffle thru my kit..not good) I listen to YouTube from my telly via optical cable to Dac to HiFi and it's excellent..I may try the Amazon HD streaming service it seems good value at £15 a month..but I'm not expecting a chalk and cheese difference.. 

I stream Spotify premium 320 Kbps into my Electrocompaniet Ecd1 dac  that up-samples it to 24/192 and converts at that level and it sounds absolutely superb with well recorded material and pretty good even with with less than perfect recordings .

I have had people ask if I am playing a hi res recording when they have heard my system ,  they are shocked when I tell them it's only Spotify via my old i pad and a Cambridge audio iD 100 !

You can judge the quality of my kit from my signature , it's not too shabby I think . :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Electro said:

I stream Spotify premium 320 Kbps into my Electrocompaniet Ecd1 dac  that up-samples it to 24/192 and converts at that level and it sounds absolutely superb with well recorded material and pretty good even with with less than perfect recordings .

I have had people ask if I am playing a hi res recording when they have heard my system ,  they are shocked when I tell them it's only Spotify via my old i pad and a Cambridge audio iD 100 !

You can judge the quality of my kit from my signature , it's not too shabby I think . :)

Nice kit..I couldn't agree more..streaming thru quboz or YouTube sounds awesome..some seem a bit sniffy regarding mp3?  don't understand why? On better kit it sounds even better.. I was listening to 'gothenberg live ' on quboz and I could hear around the drumming if that makes sense..mp3 and a decent DAC..it's that resolving! I like quboz as it's French and has a different slant to music..more European I guess?  ( other streaming services are available!  Lol.you pay your money..get your Dac..make your choice..I chose mp3  a good choice I think 🙂

3 hours ago, Electro said:

stream Spotify premium 320 Kbps into my Electrocompaniet Ecd1 dac  that up-samples it to 24/192 and converts at that level

You DAC upsamples to improve the effectivenes of the filtering.

mp3 is a lossy format (data is irreversibly lost) and upsampling doesn't add the missing information.

1 hour ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Nice kit..I couldn't agree more..streaming thru quboz or YouTube sounds awesome..some seem a bit sniffy regarding mp3?  don't understand why?

You are entitled to your opinion; but it merely reflects your expectations.

13 minutes ago, tuga said:

You DAC upsamples to improve the effectivenes of the filtering.

mp3 is a lossy format (data is irreversibly lost) and upsampling doesn't add the missing information.

I absolutely agree , but it still sounds amazingly good .

It might also be the superb fully balanced discrete class A analogue output stage in the dac that allows it to sound so good .

I am constantly amazed at just how good Spotify can sound especially on a good system , I never would have believed it if I didn't hear it every day for myself .

1 hour ago, tuga said:

You are entitled to your opinion; but it merely reflects your expectations.

Mmm..my expectations on the whole were low regarding Mp3s..reason being music loaded onto phones then played back through anything half sensible sounded ghastly.. So my view then was coloured by this..some time ago I bought a Dac magic and after faffing about trying it thru all my cd players ( my sadly demised mission pcm 7000 was exceptional..it fell out of loft..I didn't do it either grrr still angry lol)  anyway I noticed a optical output on my telly so I put the TV output into Dac magic..searched for HD music and was promptly astonished..my expectation since then has been steadily building regardless of others low opinion of mp3..amongst the high fidelity brigade mp3 is something they trod in from outside! Lol..with my jolida dac it's improved again ( dramatically)  I have sacds I listen to and a high res Sony player which has a dsee upscaler ( so.it seems you can add to Mp3s) and my kit is exacting ( I have a pair of Lfd diamond viper interconnects.. Yes I'm bragging)  but I still think through a decent DAC mp3 is exceptional for what it is..it's not claiming super duper resolution like sacd and hi res do...but it certainly has it..like another contributor posted..a quality recording shines through...and a MP3 is a lovely Shiny thing..when polished ( a decent DAC)  sorry for the voluminous reply but I like the sound of my own voice 🤣

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Spelling mistake

23 minutes ago, Electro said:

I absolutely agree , but it still sounds amazingly good .

It might also be the superb fully balanced discrete class A analogue output stage in the dac that allows it to sound so good .

I am constantly amazed at just how good Spotify can sound especially on a good system , I never would have believed it if I didn't hear it every day for myself .

Your clearly a person who listens with their ears and not their prejudices..I like to think I'm the same..ps we rock! 😁 

• Haha 1