Weeman1973

Turntable Speed

I recently got a lovely Ariston RD80 and spent a bit of time at the weekend getting it set up correctly.

I’ve added my RB250 arm and an Ortofon 2M Red and have to say I really like the sound it’s giving me, however, it is running ever so slightly slow (Turntabulator App saying 0.7% at 33.1rpm).

I’ve added new oil to the bearing, lubed the motor with a couple of drops of oil as well as getting a new belt but it’s still at 33.1rpm.

Should this concern me or is it within an acceptable tolerance (app says it’s “Ideal”)? I also have a Technics SL1200 which as you would expect bang on the money with its speed as well as an RP3 and we all know Rega’s run a little fast so maybe it’s being used to these TT’s which is making the Ariston sound perhaps slower than it actually is?

Would a change of motor be worth while on such an old deck (even if I could find one) or even an upgrade?

Super Wammer

If your looking to change motors then Origin Live do a full kit (dc motor, motor mount, speed selector & psu) for virtually all decks, the speed sele tor even has trim pots to set the speed spot bollock. 

I would try it with a strobe disc first .. and a new belt.  

This came from another forum .. and it could be your turntable is at the right speed after all and the app is at fault ... The "Turntabulator" app on my iPhone does not agree with my strobe disk. I can get the strobe at a dead stop, while the app reads "33.2".

Super Wammer

You say you really like the sound it's giving you, so I take it that you did not notice the slight speed aberration. If that is the case, leave well alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks all for the replies. In my search to 'fix' this alleged issue, I fear I have done more harm than good!

I now cannot stop the motor pulley slipping all the way down to the bottom of the spindle which in turn now stops the belt staying on the platter.

Moral to be learned me thinks -  leave well alone in future!
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Weeman1973 said:
Thanks all for the replies. In my search to 'fix' this alleged issue, I fear I have done more harm than good!

I now cannot stop the motor pulley slipping all the way down to the bottom of the spindle which in turn now stops the belt staying on the platter.

Have you got a photo.... that should be something proper basic to sort !?

(I had one back a few weeks ago where it was reported the belt wouldn't stay on the platter when on 45rpm. It turned out the customer was putting the 7" center hole adaptor under the under the sub platter when trying to play 45s. So lifting the platter by around 3/4" !!).

37 minutes ago, Dave Brown said:

Have you got a photo.... that should be something proper basic to sort !?

(I had one back a few weeks ago where it was reported the belt wouldn't stay on the platter when on 45rpm. It turned out the customer was putting the 7" center hole adaptor under the under the sub platter when trying to play 45s. So lifting the platter by around 3/4" !!).

I'll try to get some done later when I'm home - hoping it can be a quick fix as the amount of time and effort so far in getting arm mounted and platter level etc. I'd hate for it all to be in vain!

Some pulleys are press fitted onto the shaft but others are just glued. Yours probably should be sorted with some glue.

Check your new belt is the correct thickness. If you got an original belt with the deck is it thicker than the new one. A belt that is too thin will cause slow running. Also the width of a belt if not correctly specified can lead to operational issues.

Beyond that you will need to review platter ride height and the pulley orientation. I am not familiar with the RD80 but the manual implies there is a motor adjusting nut which may also allow some tilt which will allow minor speed adjustments..

The belt must ride correctly on the pulley.

I don't see a recommendation for platter ride height in the manual so I would go with around 4mm clearance and work from there.

With the platter upside down, mat on and record on top then check how the belt engages with the pulley. It should centre on the crown as per the manual

Edited by cre009
typo

It's quite hard to diagnose these issues without hands on but I'd echo most of cre's comments above.

Speed issues or  any Belt/platter/ pulley issues are often compounded on decks with a suspended sub chassis  because belt tension is affected by the lateral adjustment of the suspension and belt behaviour, as folks above have mentioned ,  may be compromised by incorrect platter height or level .

16 hours ago, Lurch said:

If your looking to change motors then Origin Live do a full kit (dc motor, motor mount, speed selector & psu) for virtually all decks, the speed sele tor even has trim pots to set the speed spot bollock. 

You made me look for a speed check app that flashed up 'Spot Bollock'.

Got an NHS symptom checker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The one with 'Spot Bollock' also gives "Close enough for  Rock N Roll"  as you approach the correct speed

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

The one with 'Spot Bollock' also gives "Close enough for  Rock N Roll"  as you approach the correct speed

....And 'Who Cares?' for (C)rap music.

Try putting some French chalk on inside of belt..or try putting the belt in boiling water briefly (this shrink belt slightly)  the French chalk for adding extra grip! However if your app is showing a constant slightly slower speed? Probably isn't belt slip..ps you can get a linn axis turntable for reasonable money secondhand..put a denon dm110 cart on it..end of problems 🙂

On 03/12/2019 at 10:07, Weeman1973 said:

dab of super giue with the pulley in the desired position should sort it 

• Upvote 1