IanCD

Speaker cables... (oh no...!!?)

Super Wammer

Yeah go with the 6mm, but also junk the nasty metal jumper bars and replace with either VD hifi 2.5 or some Odessey2. In fact pm me your details as I'm sure I have a 1 foot length of Odessey2 in my spares cupboard I can send you

44 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Yeah go with the 6mm, but also junk the nasty metal jumper bars and replace with either VD hifi 2.5 or some Odessey2. In fact pm me your details as I'm sure I have a 1 foot length of Odessey2 in my spares cupboard I can send you

Great, thanks..!

Bear in mind thicker cable can end up more problematic to connect to speakers, or find connectors to fit. Personally I'm doubtful there would be any benefit of you using 6 mm2 cable over 4 mm2. Even the latter is probably overkill.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Bear in mind thicker cable can end up more problematic to connect to speakers, or find connectors to fit. Personally I'm doubtful there would be any benefit of you using 6 mm2 cable over 4 mm2. Even the latter is probably overkill.

Thanks Martin... the cables are supplied terminated - screwed, crimped and silver soldered with banana plugs - but I just measured again: looking at 2 x 7metres now and thinking about my budget..!

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Oh you doubter and pessimist. I use 12mm2 cables for my short 1m monobloc amplifier cables. 

I would go with the 6mm Van Damme cables myself. There are plenty of bananas that take 6mm2 cables with no issue. 

11 minutes ago, IanCD said:

Thanks Martin... the cables are supplied terminated - screwed, crimped and silver soldered with banana plugs - but I just measured again: looking at 2 x 7metres now and thinking about my budget..!

Is it Mark Grant cables you're looking at? They are reasonably priced for terminated cables.

Super Wammer

I’m happy with 4mm Van Damme OFC, but mine are only 2.5 metres.  Here’s what it looks like, with jumpers too. 

In your shoes I’d get the 6mm, just to save wishing I had, but technically it’s quite unnecessary!  

F836FC0D-BAF8-42D2-8C84-0A0B89D1CEBC.thumb.jpeg.b4d30d13a2210ac29dccb60db90d67d5.jpeg

• Like 2

Audioholics say if you have 2 cable to chose from, take the thickest cable, i would do the same except when i think i don't have bananplugs that can be used with the thickest cable.

I use BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG) thought they where 4 mm2 each but it's more like both cable (+ and -), had i know that i would have bought BJC Ten White (5T00UP) (White jacket, 10 AWG).

My QED XT40 is 12 AWG and is something like 4 mm2, it could bearly fit in my Cambridge Audio Gold (Gold Plate Banana Plug) which is rated for 4 mm2 thick cable, the ends twisted doesn't look good and the grip is fare from perfect, BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG)  has perfect fit and grip for my cambridge audio banaplugs  .

Tight bass,not bright sounding, twisted cable, really good and not to thick, 12 AWG is enought for 10 meter 4 ohm loads, it might be better than my QED XT40

If you have emi problems go for the Canare 4S11 (Star Quad cable, 14 WG), it's shielded.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm price is included import taxes if needed and you get fast delivery bought friday got it monday from as afre i could see from usa to Denmark.

not shure how big the difference is between the 12 and 10 AWG blue jeans cable i have but will bet it's better that the blue and hifi cable from Van Damme in the same gauge,AWG

Edited by gasolin

25 minutes ago, gasolin said:

Audioholics say if you have 2 cable to chose from, take the thickest cable, i would do the same except when i think i don't have bananplugs that can be used with the thickest cable.

That sounds like bad advice to me. Why is thicker always best?

I use Duelund cables which are thin but sound great with valve amplifiers, and don’t cost that much more than commodity Van Damme etc (compared with Nordost etc). I use DCA16GA with my 5 watt amp and Klipsch speakers. You can use DCA12GA when a more powerful amp is used. The DCA16GAs are about 10 pounds a meter from HiFi Collective, and so that is 40 pounds a meter for a stereo pair.

Better damping factor,lower loss, better bass, generally better sound

Something like van den hul clearwater are surpose to sound better in double lenght

https://www.lautsprechershop.de/kabel/inakustik_kabelpremium_en.htm

https://www.lautsprechershop.de/kabel/inakustik_kabelexzellenz_en.htm