Sign in to follow this  
orbscure

The Cambridge Audio streamer thread...

Super Wammer

I have to say the CXN V2 looks amazing bit of kit, and that’s coming from a Node 2 owner.

Just to throw it in the mix for anyone considering a CXN...

Sonically there is no difference between the V1 and V2 and they have the same dual Wolfson DACs on board.

Only difference is more processing power in the V2 (quicker startup! Who cares about that, mines quick enough anyway), and inbuilt Chromecast.

V1 can also play tidal via the CA app. 

V1's are cheap 2nd hand... that's a hell of a lot of streamer, for peanuts.

Either one is a eargasmic treat for anyone!!

• Upvote 1

I installed Minim server on a Synology NAS (214) and installed 2X 2Tb WD Red HDDs following suggestions on this forum a few years ago.

Used with an SM6, 851N and Naim NDX it positively flies compared to a USB HDDs plugged directly into the streamer. Instantaneous file selection compared with a USB drive which felt broken with over 500Gb of files. Thoroughly recommended for smooth, quick and reliable use.

I kept the 2Tb usb hdd to use as a backup to the NAS. To be honest, I find myself mainly streaming from Tidal these days with the split around 80/20 Tidal/my own files.

MconnectHD does have a couple of niggles but I find it runs better on an iPad compared to an iPhone - I think it thrives on processing power. It’s not perfect but does Get hi-res MQA files to CA streamers.

Super Wammer
On 28/11/2019 at 17:07, Bigwig07 said:

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated streamer (I currently use Chromecast Audio into a good DAC on my Marantz SA14 cd player), but wouldn't go the network streamer / NAS route

Would getting the CXN V2 or 851n offer a real step up in quality on streaming only ? I'm not clear why unless the DAC may be better ?

And then why is the Edge NQ supposed to be so much better and is so much more expensive ?

I've had the edge NQ for 6 months now and it's a great performer.. lovely pricise and dynamic sound with tidal masters.. bluetooths easy as chips...great preamp for my other bits too...the fibre optic input for my SACD is the best I've heard..it play...

The first piece of brand new kit I've brought in 15 yrs..after lots of demoing stuff...it did it for me...

It was time to move on to the digital era.... and downsize my vinyl collection...

But it will never be my only source for a long time yet..

My Sony SCD 777ES takes some beating and will be in use till either one of us dies...20yrs old now and never missed a beat...I'm not having bets which one of us lasts the longest.. I know there has been a lot said about vinyl v cd and streaming...I love them all and will continue to use all 3 formats...

Although I do have a nice power amp my new lady would like the matching power amp..for looks only of course...

If anyone would like to demo the edge in situ....you're always more than welcome  J29 M1

Kindest regards Julian 

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Thanks for that Julian... it has to be said that the NQ is an aesthetically pleasing bit of kit, so to hear that (as we'd expect) it has the same sonic traits as the CXN is great to hear. I too embrace CD and vinyl with equal enthusiasm, but for whatever reason, even though I've toyed with streaming in the past, this is the first time it actually makes sense...and I put that down to the ease of use/simple interface the CXN employs, as well as how damn good it sounds. I'm listening to all manner of material I wouldn't ordinarily play and that just has to be a good thing. It won't stop me hoovering up CD's from charity shops, or spending ridiculous amounts on new vinyl... as all three formats give me so much pleasure :) 

Edited by orbscure
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
On 03/12/2019 at 22:43, orbscure said:

Thanks for that Julian... it has to be said that the NQ is an aesthetically pleasing bit of kit, so to hear that (as we'd expect) it has the same sonic traits as the CXN is great to hear. I too embrace CD and vinyl with equal enthusiasm, but for whatever reason, even though I've toyed with streaming in the past, this is the first time it actually makes sense...and I put that down to the ease of use/simple interface the CXN employs, as well as how damn good it sounds. I'm listening to all manner of material I wouldn't ordinarily play and that just has to be a good thing. It won't stop me hoovering up CD's from charity shops, or spending ridiculous amounts on new vinyl... as all three formats give me so much pleasure :) 

Streaming is great for auditioning new music but can be a tad haphazard for me sometimes...one tends to skip to the next track and often never finish a whole album if I dont like the first couple of tracks ..rarely happens when I put vinyl on as usually play to the end..

I think it's quite a different discipline when streaming ..its just a matter of persevering..or put the phone away from twitchy fingers ..

Kindest regards Julian