akamatsu

Series 5 on sale

Super Wammer

If anyone wants a pair of black kolumns for 104s I have a pair going free to whoever can make use of them.

As a one-year user of 520s I though I’d throw in my tuppence worth.  After many years of chopping and changing my linn system and somehow never being completely satisfied, my journey came to an end when we redecorated and repurposed our 4m x 4m dining room. I sold the bulky 242 speakers and myriad boxes and with my wife’s input we put together a new system. We bought a pair of ex dem 520s in Harris tweed and a Klimax renew DSM.  At the same time I upgraded to klimax radical and urika 2, both also ex dem. The system not only looks very discrete but it also sounds superb. The sound is detailed and airy but also smooth and relaxing. There’s plenty of bass, but I’ve never been a huge bass head. I imagine if a katalyst upgrade became available I might go for it, but at the moment the system gives me everything I want and I love listening to it.  I wonder if because it’s so discrete and I listen to rather than look at it, I’ve broken out of the perpetual upgrade thinking.  I’m currently drinking a rather lovely cup of tea and enjoying the excellent new Lady Antebellum album. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Muffin said:

As a one-year user of 520s I though I’d throw in my tuppence worth.  After many years of chopping and changing my linn system and somehow never being completely satisfied, my journey came to an end when we redecorated and repurposed our 4m x 4m dining room. I sold the bulky 242 speakers and myriad boxes and with my wife’s input we put together a new system. We bought a pair of ex dem 520s in Harris tweed and a Klimax renew DSM.  At the same time I upgraded to klimax radical and urika 2, both also ex dem. The system not only looks very discrete but it also sounds superb. The sound is detailed and airy but also smooth and relaxing. There’s plenty of bass, but I’ve never been a huge bass head. I imagine if a katalyst upgrade became available I might go for it, but at the moment the system gives me everything I want and I love listening to it.  I wonder if because it’s so discrete and I listen to rather than look at it, I’ve broken out of the perpetual upgrade thinking.  I’m currently drinking a rather lovely cup of tea and enjoying the excellent new Lady Antebellum album. 

the 520's express very well in small spaces.  We could present your system in photos.  I would also like Linn to offer us a Katalyst version

• Upvote 2

On 25/11/2019 at 17:11, Matteo said:

The fact that there are some units for sale with huge discount seems suspicious though.

I’d guess that decreasing turnover is the main reason for it.

https://www.scotsman.com/business/scottish-hi-fi-icon-linn-pumps-up-r-d-but-finances-strike-sour-note-1-5050109

Yesterday I went to a LP12 Klinik event and another dealer confirmed that for the 5 series Katalyst will never arrive .... hmmm

He also told me that the 520 are the worst speakers that Linn had ever made and that he refuses to sell them ... hmmmm

M

40 minutes ago, Matteo said:

He also told me that the 520 are the worst speakers that Linn had ever made and that he refuses to sell them ... hmmm

I don't think he would refuse a customer insisting to purchase 520 speakers. maybe what he meant is that he is not intending to keep a demo pair in his shop?

4 hours ago, Matteo said:

Yesterday I went to a LP12 Klinik event and another dealer confirmed that for the 5 series Katalyst will never arrive .... hmmm

He also told me that the 520 are the worst speakers that Linn had ever made and that he refuses to sell them ... hmmmm

M

What does your dealer blame the 520 for not selling them?  I have 530 for my part, I am rather satisfied.  but I admit, there is better in Linn range, I listened to Akubarik ... if I could, I would exchange them without hesitation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matteo said:

M

I have owned Komris, integrated Exakt 350s, active Katalyst Akudoriks, to name a few and I certainly consider the 520s to be a brilliant speaker and would encourage anybody to have a demo of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

I have owned Komris, integrated Exakt 350s, active Katalyst Akudoriks, to name a few and I certainly consider the 520s to be a brilliant speaker and would encourage anybody to have a demo of them.

I think we also have to remember that dealers are self employed, not by Linn, and sometimes they have reasons for what they say. (I expected Matteo’s original post to be included in that post)

(I don’t think we’ll see Katalyst for Series 5, either)

‘troll

Edited by Moomintroll

What would be members advice to me if I wanted to take advantage of the drop in price of the 520’s? At the current reduced price I could afford them if I sold my 4200 with active cards and sold my Keilidhs. Will this be a true upgrade in sound quality bearing in mind I love the bass from my Keilidhs? 

3 hours ago, Billz said:

What would be members advice to me if I wanted to take advantage of the drop in price of the 520’s? At the current reduced price I could afford them if I sold my 4200 with active cards and sold my Keilidhs. Will this be a true upgrade in sound quality bearing in mind I love the bass from my Keilidhs? 

My advice would be to go and listen for yourself. My instinct, FWIW, is that you would do significantly better converting your 4200 back to full range and buying an Akurate Exaktbox 6, which has Katalyst when the 520s don't, and which enables you to keep the sound of the Keilidhs that you know you like. You'd have no more cables trailing across the floor than you have now, but you would need to find space for an extra box in the rack. If that is an issue, you could trade in the A4200 and get an Exaktbox-I at virtually the same price as the Exaktbox 6 and with trade-in on your 4200, so cheaper still, overall. My guess (and again it is only a guess) is that the separate Exaktbox with the 4200 would have a performance edge over the Exaktbox-I, but only a demo and your ears can confirm this.

David

4 hours ago, Billz said:

I have a 530 system. It is brilliant! Especially when being served with a signal from a near Klimax level LP12. Integrated Exakt systems have the advantage of eliminating the inherently lossy analogue interconnects and speaker wire.  I’m talking about sonic advantage. Series 5, especially at current reduced prices, opens the door to this arena to those for whom funds are somewhat limited. 

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

I asked to the dealer why he do not have the 520 for demo ...

He also said that they are very instable on the floor.

I finally did a demo with my LP12 a Selekt, and the 530 ... very good, but the 530 are too expensive for my budget.

I listened also to Akudorik Kat ... astonishing but more and more expensive than 530 ...

M.

Edited by Matteo

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I asked to the dealer why he do not have the 520 for demo ...

He also said that they are very instable on the floor.

I finally did a demo with my LP12 a Selekt, and the 530 ... very good, but the 530 are too expensive for my budget.

I listened also to Akudorik Kat ... astonishing but more and more expensive than 530 ...

M.

With the spikes that are supplied with the 520s, not only are they very short which is no good if they need to go through thick carpet, but also the speakers are very unstable.  I purchased from Linn longer spikes which solved the problem.

• Like 1