akamatsu

Series 5 on sale

3 hours ago, Matteo said:

That's a fantastic offer

• Upvote 1

Yes

Just wonder if anyone had compared/heard the 530/520 against the M109 (in particular, the bass performance of the 520 vs. M109)

M

Depends. For an apples to apples comparison, the 109s would have to be Exakted with similar amps and DAC. Then, I would think that the Series 5 speakers would outperform. 

Edited by akamatsu

On 20/11/2019 at 18:07, Matteo said:

Just wonder if anyone had compared/heard the 530/520 against the M109 (in particular, the bass performance of the 520 vs. M109)

Hi Mateo,

I have myself the M109 (passive) with a Linn Sizmik Sub.

I recently heard the 530 at my dealers. That was very impressive. The M109 can't keep up with that. Even though the 520 are a bit weaker in bass, I'm sure they are better than the M109. The Series 5 is active and Exakt, that makes a big difference.

In addition, the Series 5 is technically the more 'modern' loudspeaker. However, you have to keep in mind that there will be no Katalyst upgrade for the Series 5. Great speakers anyway!

Karl

Thanks Karl

I guess that a fair comparison should be with the 109 aktiv or exakted though.

M

the series 5 remains a mystery for me ... Why this promotion?  sales problem, maybe ?  I do not have the impression that Linn sells a lot of it, I have rather read reviews.  moreover, on the forum, we have very little to own ... is this a product that will disappear soon?  I was hoping for a Katalyst update.

I wonder if a wireless version of the series 5 speakers would be a bigger hit with the Lifestyle crowd, with built in streamer like the 3 series?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I wonder if a wireless version of the series 5 speakers would be a bigger hit with the Lifestyle crowd, with built in streamer like the 3 series?

Hmmmm. That’s an idea. The series 5 have easily removable modules that could open up many possibilities. I’ve thought that modules that would accept Selekt amp and DAC cards would create a lot of flexibility. The current sale got me thinking that something may be happening soon. 

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

I am told the 5 Series sounds great but I just can’t relate to the fabric slip cover styling though. Just not my thing. I am sure others love the concept...

8 minutes ago, PhotoMax said:

I am told the 5 Series sounds great but I just can’t relate to the fabric slip cover styling though. Just not my thing. I am sure others love the concept...

I think the idea is to have speakers that don’t look so much like speakers. Of course, it’s all a matter of personal taste. I had to suppress my nerdy audiophile side in order to warm up to them. 

I totally get it. These are narrow speakers that would fit in well with many condo living environments with great SQ. Good marketing on Linn’s part.

My preference is wood cabinets all the way. I find the really, really expensive speakers to be ugly. Like the high end Wilson’s. This is just me though. 

Adding floor standing speakers into your main living space involves a balance between sound quality, budget, size, floor position and appearance. For example: I love my Rega RS7 floor standers. They are slim, striking, with really solid sound quality. I like the detail of the wood cabinets. I am a wood worker. I have these in our island cabin with Douglas fir flooring and ceilings. They look perfect in this space. Modern metal speakers just would look wrong here...

• Like 2

I have been using Series 5 speakers - both 520 and 530 for a while now and they are definitely great sounding speakers.  I like both of them equally in there own ways.  I have been using them with either a KEDSM or else a Renew DS2.  One advantage of the fabric covers that unlike wooden finish speakers, they can not be marked/scratched.

Maybe them being on sale at present is that Linn are making a loss at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1