akamatsu

Series 5 on sale

Got an email from a stateside dealer. All Series 5 speakers and systems are on sale with discounts of about $4000 or more. The sale runs from November 13 to December 13. 

Would anyone care to speculate as to what this might mean for Series 5?

Edited by akamatsu

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

More will be sold?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

More will be sold?

That would be the initial intent. So why would Linn want to sell more at a drastically reduced price for only a limited time? Series 5 is relatively new, and is consistent with Linn’s current direction. So I don’t think it will be discontinued. Perhaps getting more units out there and freeing up customers’ funds for a Katalyst upgrade? Fingers crossed. 

40 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Sale figures are (probably much) lower than Linn expected. if Series 5 would be passive speakers, they would be the next nominee for discontinuation.

• Upvote 2

I can’t find any reference to this sale other than the email I received. Hmmmmm. 

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

Sale figures are (probably much) lower than Linn expected. if Series 5 would be passive speakers, they would be the next nominee for discontinuation.

Not necessarily. If a vendor senses pent up demand beyond current sales levels (good or bad), a limited period promotion may be in order. Linn have IMO always been a bit stingy when it comes to such things, but that is another issue.Their strategy at the moment appears to be essentially defensive, so maybe they are looking for a bit of cash flow to tide them over turbulent times.

David

It seems the 5 series has not been received with much enthusiasm. Linn seems kiltering with its product direction, so a line that has likely been marginally received will be let go.

I once heard the 530 speakers, but on a Klimax DSM. The sales person suggested the speakers might sell better that way.

• Like 1

From what I understand, the Series 3 speakers have a plug and play feature that the lifestyle folks contemplating their purchase would appreciate. 

These potential customers may not want to fuss with Space Optimisation and all the other stuff that has become the norm for audiophiles.

If the Series 5 was also plug and play, with a reduced price, I would think they would be easier to market 

When you cost out the price of the built in amplification and the speakers, the price is reasonable. However, Linn are competing with speaker manufacturers that only sell speakers, so other brands look like they are cheaper, until you add in the amplification, preamp, streamer and so on.

You are also saving the cost of speaker wire, interconnects. 

As with the Selekt line of products, a Katalyst option would be great 👍 

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

If the Series 5 was also plug and play, with a reduced price, I would think they would be easier to market 

It is possible to plug and play them.  Everything else is optional.

7 hours ago, uk030 said:

I always thought that S5 were waaayyyy overpriced. Basic concept with simple drivers, okay electronics and very nice finish, but waaayyyyy too expensive.

Haha. I wish you would’ve told me that before I bought them. 😂

Maybe overpriced, but not waaaaaayyyy overpriced IMHO.

Purely based on specs. It is not a basic concept:

• Akubarik Isobaric bass driver.
  • Exakt/aktiv
  • IIRC the tweeter is a more refined and more expensive one then the 2K 
  • Special cabinets
  • Fabric, with al it's complications 
  • Amps and source is on Akurate level.
  • And yes you pay for the lifestyle feel

I think it's to easy just to dismiss them on price.

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

Maybe overpriced, but not waaaaaayyyy overpriced IMHO

I agree. For instance, I don't think that the Majik 140s at a base price of £1,800 in the UK, are way out of line with the competition. But give them he optional 'stands' (= bases, and essential IMO) at £430, pair them with an Exaktbox-I at £4,940, add anything up to £500 for cabling and plugs, and you are at £7,670, compared with £6,750 for the 520s and £9,500 for the 530s (pre-sale price). The 5 Series don't have Katalyst, which would be a big deal for me, but the 530s do have isobaric bass units.

If Linn (as opposed to individual vendors) are discounting the 5 Series, that may because they are preparing the way for replacement models. Something with Katalyst and Selekt-style Class D amplification might be quite attractive.

David

Before my decision to switch from MDSM/3 to Exaktbox-i with systemhub I have considered the 530.

Due to the price difference between the 530 and the exact upgrade of my existing M140, I didn't delve into the 530 anymore. The lack of certainty about Katalyst for the 530 also stopped me.

However, I still think it's an really interesting system. Technical and visual.

I want to add that if I add all the signals, among other things from the other topics to this forum:

• Series 3
  • Stopping passive Akubarik and Akudorik.
  • The vacancies that exist at Linn.

I am not so gloomy, but I am very curious what the future offers.