BB1

Passive Akubariks and Akudoriks will be phased out

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

My view: the Linn website is a mess. The nomenclature, Linnspeak, and confusing presentation with horrid graphics (that poor whale in the fishbowl) does very little to explain the different product tiers or upgrade paths for potential buyers.

Much of it grates on me too. Its greatest failing IMO is that much of the hard information that buyers (especially tech-savvy buyers) actually need is missing or hidden. It is as though Linn Marketing have dropped a veil of political correctness over the whole site.

11 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

But this and other forums is where the real knowledge base lies. I thank you all!

Thanks, but it is only fair to point out that much of the information provided here comes from the well hidden parallel site - LinnDocs. This is a collection of hard product and technology information that every Linn owner should be aware of. It is in places messy and some of the product descriptions are missing important information - more by accident than by design, I think, because LinnDocs appears to be outside the jurisdiction of the Linn Marketing police.*

11 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

after much deliberation I am going to purchase the latest Akurate Exakt Hub and Akurate Exaktbox-I w/ Katalyst. Plus new Transparent speaker cables. This will all result in some downwind shifting of the two systems I own. Really looking forward to the “big day”! 😎

A good buy, IMO. I have yet to hear the Katalyst Exaktbox-I, but from what people have said on this forum, I believe that the combination you have chosen punches above its weight, price-wise. Forgive me if I have missed something in an earlier post, but what speakers are you using?

David

*I subsequently discovered that LinnDocs describes itself as a "Community maintained site". Who that "community" is, and how it gets access to what is clearly Linn proprietary information (and also becomes what is, in effect, an official source of information), are not clear.

David

Edited by DavidHB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LTomasic said:

It is a brilliant system, particularly for classical music - but it works really well for jazz and other genres as well. The strength of the bass is sufficient for my purposes. Although, apparently one could upgrade the system with an Exaktbox Sub + Power Amp + Subwoofer. I am not considering this at the moment, but would be grateful if anyone had any thought on that...

This is basically my configuration and is very similar to yours.
I just upgraded my M140 to Akudorik passive with stands. 
Source AKDS  - exaktbox katalyst - 2 M6100 dynamik (as i have also a surround system this is why ahve the extra channels) + M126 sub with exaktbox sub

Yes the sub adds what is missing but if you have to weight the 3k adds more. I upgraded the sub to exaktbox as it was affordable. Not sure I would buy one ex novo
The Akudorik are the first speakers on a higher category I have purchassed. My first ones where Keilidhs, followed by M140. On the electronics however I've been, other time, a pinball. Ikemi, wakonda, LK, bi wiring, bi- amping, aktiv, you name it......
The growth to where I am now has been done over time 20+years and given the price difference to the K world I  see myself sticking to this for a loooong time, if not ever.

The only think I might consider in the short term, a year or so, could be a 2200 to drive the bass of the akudoriks. But having a sub this is not a priority.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

But this and other forums is where the real knowledge base lies

Hmmm! The real wealth of knowledge was in the old (now defunct) website which is why many on here mourn its passing! Overtime this site will no doubt eclipse it as equipment moves on...

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, entdgc said:

The real wealth of knowledge was in the old (now defunct) website

Except that some of that 'knowledge' was, ahem, questionable :). There were real gems (I miss all that good information from Peter Swain, Phil Budd and Briain among many others), but you had to pick and choose. LinnDocs is, on the whole, pretty reliable.

David

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David,

My speakers are Majik 140s with upgraded metal stands. One downside to my current situation is that I am using basic builders grade wire for my speaker cables. These were routed from an wood cubby next to the fireplace down through the floor and up over into an adjacent wall where the speakers are. Convenient but not audio quality focused. I will place the new Hub inside the cubby where the soon to be moved Majik DSM is. From there I will run the new Ethernet cable to the end of the room where the new Exaktbox will go. Then the eight new speaker cables can do their magic (majik?) 

The Majik DSM will then get moved to our island cabin where it will get mixed into a Rega system. The Majik will replace an old SONOS Connect and Rega DAC. 

Edited by PhotoMax
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AJK66 said:

This is basically my configuration and is very similar to yours.
I just upgraded my M140 to Akudorik passive with stands. 
Source AKDS  - exaktbox katalyst - 2 M6100 dynamik (as i have also a surround system this is why ahve the extra channels) + M126 sub with exaktbox sub

Yes the sub adds what is missing but if you have to weight the 3k adds more. I upgraded the sub to exaktbox as it was affordable. Not sure I would buy one ex novo
The Akudorik are the first speakers on a higher category I have purchassed. My first ones where Keilidhs, followed by M140. On the electronics however I've been, other time, a pinball. Ikemi, wakonda, LK, bi wiring, bi- amping, aktiv, you name it......
The growth to where I am now has been done over time 20+years and given the price difference to the K world I  see myself sticking to this for a loooong time, if not ever.

The only think I might consider in the short term, a year or so, could be a 2200 to drive the bass of the akudoriks. But having a sub this is not a priority.

Thank you for the insight. And thank you, David, for your many very useful comments. I have never thought that adding a subwoofer (or two) could improve the sound of other frequencies as well. I am very happy with my system and, as I have only recently purchased it and am only getting into the world of serious HiFi, I do not feel the need for improvement - yet ;) 

But I suppose that Exaktbox Sub + Majik 126 (which have an integrated amp) would be an upgrade to consider some time down the road. According to their homepage, Linn don't seem to be offering subwoofers. Are the M126 (or AK126) still available? Any other ideas as to which other subwoofers (non-Linn) might be worth considering? David, why would you add two rather than one?

This might not be the right thread to ask this question, but what other features does Exakt offer apart from the digital crossover?

Lovro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LTomasic said:

Are the M126 (or AK126) still available?

No, Linn has discontinued all subwoofers a long time ago.

38 minutes ago, LTomasic said:

Any other ideas as to which other subwoofers (non-Linn) might be worth considering?

IMHO JL Audio's E-Sub e112 would be a good companion for Akudoriks sound and money wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.