chebby

Iron man.

Never been that bad - my sympathies.

I'll stick with a (mostly) diet based iron fix as it seems to be working for now and is dealing with the I*S very nicely.

I think I spent so much time avoiding so many foods that my health suffered (lack of iron and goodness knows what else). Now I am actually enjoying eating again. The other benefits to my system sort of crept up on me but it's very welcome.

Thanks, I think getting everything you need from your diet is definitely the way to go, especially if it's helping with IBS (I got that too, tons of fun).

I struggle with that, so much is off the menu, you just eat the same thing every week, and eating just becomes a tedious and perfunctory thing you have to do. It's easy to get deficiencies in your diet that go unnoticed.

I'd see the quack Bazzer, best to get things checked out (edit: just read your earlier post! So I guess you have).

Edited by brystonian

I'd see the quack Bazzer, best to get things checked out (edit: just read your earlier post! So I guess you have).

I haven't recently Jim but tests in the past have always flagged slight anaemia and I think something about white blood cells being low .

What sort of iron tests have you had on your blood? My ex who is a vegan was always run down amongst other problems and was advised to have a series of iron tests. This is because one test can show okay and the other less common test can show otherwise. Its something to do with absorbed and stored and in reserve. Ask your doctor as they tend to just do the basic test which can often show all is well when the other test shows different.

My brother has regular iron injections due to a similar test.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I haven't recently Jim but tests in the past have always flagged slight anaemia and I think something about white blood cells being low .

Might be worth another check up mate.

I am a hypochondriac though, I get a cold and think I've got Marburg. :)  

Edited by brystonian

I am a hypochondriac though, I get a cold and think I've got Marburg. :)  

Lol you must be to know what that is I had to Google it :D

• Haha 1

Might be worth another check up mate.

Yes I'm well overdue .

• Upvote 1

What sort of iron tests have you had on your blood? My ex who is a vegan was always run down amongst other problems and was advised to have a series of iron tests. This is because one test can show okay and the other less common test can show otherwise. Its something to do with absorbed and stored and in reserve. Ask your doctor as they tend to just do the basic test which can often show all is well when the other test shows different.

My brother has regular iron injections due to a similar test.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Pete is this to me or the OP ?

The OP or anybody who may find this useful.

Yes cheers I'll enquire about this because I have always been under the impression I've been fobbed off .

All dark green veggies and herbs such as parsley and corriander

All pulses, so a nice homemade humous springs to mind.

Guinness. If you don't like drinking it use it as a sauce for slow cooked beef or lamb, mixed with beef stock

All shell fish.

Contrary to common consensus cooked veggies are absorbed into the body faster.

The most important thing is to get the balance right between iron, vitamins, protein, carbs and minerals. 

Home made meatloaf and cauliflower cheese and baked sweet potato in a minute or five.

Good heme iron content in the meat but iron inhibitor in the milk and cheese. (Although that mostly affects non-heme iron intake.)

Yards of vitamin C in cauliflower and sweet potato though.

Besides, I have eaten plenty of other iron rich stuff today (with fruit and fruit juice) so should be ok on balance.

Edited by chebby