jkbmusic

Old v New

I’m not sure if this question has been asked before, but here goes.

Would an older 5.1 or 7.1 A/V Amplifier, say 10-15 year old, sound the same as a modern Amplifier, say less than 2-3 years old, if made by the same manufacturer. E.G. Sony, Arcam, Marantz, Denon.

I appreciate the facilities would not be the same, but would the sound quality be the same.

Edited by jkbmusic

The older kit may well sound better. Less  amplifier channels has got to be a good thing, and I suspect that it will be class AB rather than class D. 

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the sound of Arcam has changed over the last five or ten years from the warm cuddly sound of the past to a much more "accurate" sound now.  Buggered if I know if this is true or not.   However, having had lots of old stuff through my hands over the years what I can say is - a great piece of kit is a great piece of kit and will hold its own regardless of year of manufacture.    What is interesting is the EAR 509 came out in the late 70s and is still in production today .. and I am pretty sure if Krell still made the KSA 50 80 and 100 there would still be demand for them too.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Most would have gone from class a/b to D so sound imo will have changed. A matter of taste me thinks

A good piece of kit for me is simply one that makes listening to music more enjoyable.

The fact that something better may come along doesn't make that  bit of kit any less good or the music any less enjoyable.

• Like 2

I read somewhere that the sound of Arcam has changed over the last five or ten years from the warm cuddly sound of the past to a much more "accurate" sound now.  Buggered if I know if this is true or not.   However, having had lots of old stuff through my hands over the years what I can say is - a great piece of kit is a great piece of kit and will hold its own regardless of year of manufacture.    What is interesting is the EAR 509 came out in the late 70s and is still in production today .. and I am pretty sure if Krell still made the KSA 50 80 and 100 there would still be demand for them too.

EAR 509’s, I remember them well. I used to own a pair. I wish I’d kept them now :doh:.

• Like 2

A new team of designers, using new techniques and components, can change the house sound considerably. A change of management can lead to a change of policy (let's hope).

• Upvote 1

EAR 509’s, I remember them well. I used to own a pair. I wish I’d kept them now :doh:.

Me to.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Funny but I have replaced a ten year old Onkyo AV 506 I think it was with the current equivalent which is the 606 or something like that . I needed the 4K pass through of the newer unit for my Fire TV box and BT Ultra Box. The older Onkyo sounded different and warmer but not by that much , before anyone asks no I did not compare them in a blind test , even being retired there is too many better things to do than bother with that .

One thing I will say is that the picture quality of the new unit is better than than the old AV bt again as i have not done this blind fold I suppose I am just imagining it .

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Many years ago, when What Hifi magazine used to invite subscribers to their offices, I took up the opportunity. Amongst other things, we heard several AV amps. Their reference was the then top model by Yamaha. It was pretty clear it would give most average stereo amps a caning. 

Cheaper AV amps always sounded clattery and mechanical to me on music, but this Yamaha was a beauty. I’m afraid I don’t know the model number but it was probably a 2011 model. 

Edited by Nopiano
Typo
  • Upvote 1

I’ve noticed when browsing, some well known A/V Amps, such as Yamaha, Cambridge, Sony, Denon, etc. are now selling for thousands of pounds.:o

• Sad 1

newer arcam amps will have class G and dirac which surely must sound better than ones 10-15 years old  

Buy Japanese and only buy the new ones if you need the features is my advice. 

The Arcam AVR850 is the most overrated piece of kit I've ever had the misfortune to buy by the way. Bettered in every regard by a Yamaha at a third of the price. No Dirac of course.

• Upvote 1

I'm sticking to my NAD 1020B/2140/2155 150/w per channel bridged setup 

its maybe old but it still boogies :D

Edited by EddieRUKidding

l had a set- sold them found something l liked better- with a nice profit.

Ker- ching.